By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Oculus LIED and People are Pissed - New Update Backfires Massively

SWORDF1SH said:
Boutros said:

He said Oculus games would be playable and exclusive on every headset that supported Oculus platform. Clearly Oculus wasn't going to make Oculus platform available to their main competition (HTC Vive). I don't know why anyone would believe that.

So he didn't tell any lies?

It leaves to interpretation:

"If customers buy a game from us, I don’t care if they mod it to run on whatever they want. As I have said a million times (and counter to the current circlejerk), our goal is not to profit by locking people to only our hardware – if it was, why in the world would we be supporting GearVR and talking with other headset makers? The software we create through Oculus Studios (using a mix of internal and external developers) are exclusive to the Oculus platform, not the Rift itself.

The issue is people who expect us to officially support all headsets on a platform level with some kind of universal Oculus SDK, which is not going to happen anytime soon. We do want to work with other hardware vendors, but not at the expense of our own launch, and certainly not in a way that leads to developing for the lowest common denominator – there are a lot of shitty headsets coming, a handful of good ones, and a handful that may never even hit the market. Keep in mind that support for the good ones requires cooperation from both parties, which is sometimes impossible for reasons outside our control.

On another note, I disagree with most of your post, and I think you are either misunderstanding or misrepresenting several important points, but that does not change my answer."

Around the Network
Boutros said:

Why would you be entitled to play Oculus games with any other headset?

Because you're entitled to play non-sony games on sony monitors and tvs too?

In the mind of many people the headsets arent systems. They are screens and controllers. Peripherals, that have been non platform bound for ages. So much that you can even use the ones that actually are platform bound (e.g. ps4/xone controllers ) on PC freely.

Because their main consumer-base is pc-gamers, who love open, non-drm, hackable environments. You can't come to PC with a closed platform mindset without facing consumer backlash. It didn't work for microsoft, Ubisoft, EA or any of the others and now it's failing to work for oculus/facebook.

Boutros said:

Why would you be entitled to play Oculus games with any other headset?

because this is the PC, what would be the point in Oculus then? just get PSVR then

I'm absolutely fine with Occulus exclusive games. Why would it not be ok? It's the exact same thing as with consoles and everybody seems fine with that.
It's not nice that they lied and then tried to cover up their lie with even more lies but that's companies for you.

While I would love to see every VR game working with every HMD it is not upon the hardware manufacturers to make that possible but the developers. That would be like complaining to Microsoft that Windows games don't run on Linux or that X1 games don't run on PS4.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

oh pc  gamers and their overdeveloped sense of entitlement.

User was moderated for this post

-Super_Boom

Around the Network
vivster said:
I'm absolutely fine with Occulus exclusive games. Why would it not be ok? It's the exact same thing as with consoles and everybody seems fine with that.

Consoles are a system.

PC's are a system.

VR Devices are NOT systems, they are preheripals for systems. You don't expect to be locked out of certain racing games because you don't have a specific Racing Wheel, so you shouldn't expect to be locked out of Certain VR software because you bought a different VR Headset.

Barkley said:
vivster said:

Consoles are a system.

PC's are a system.

VR Devices are NOT systems, they are preheripals for systems. You don't expect to be locked out of certain racing games because you don't have a specific Racing Wheel, so you shouldn't expect to be locked out of Certain VR software because you bought a different VR Headset.

I'm already locked out of Move games when I don't have PSMove and I'm locked out of Kinect games when I don't have a Kinect. But that can't be. PSMove and Kinect are peripherals. Who would be so stupid to make games exclusively for peripherals?

On that note, why isn't my Wiimote working with PS4 games and my PS Camera with Xbox games?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

that's a big big blunder on occulus side, it pretty much cemented my mind on waiting to see if PSVR will work on pc as well or I'll just get PSVR + VIVE. at least I know in that case I can play all my Steam games there

vivster said:
Barkley said:

Consoles are a system.

PC's are a system.

I'm already locked out of Move games when I don't have PSMove and I'm locked out of Kinect games when I don't have a Kinect.

You buy Move for Motion Control games on Playstation, You buy Kinect for Motion games on Xbox. Neither device has a competitor preheripal that accomplishes the same thing on their system with exclusive content to it.

Just as these devices get access to all content on their systems that require that preheripals features so should VR devices on PC be able to play any software their hardware is capable of.

You shouldn't have to buy an Oculus and a VIVE and a whatever else to play all VR content on PC just as you don't have to buy a Kinect and a EAKINECT and a UBIKINECT to get all Motion Camera content on the Xbox.

An example of other companies not doing shit like this would be Rockband and Guitar Hero, both games can use each others preheripals.

Singstar can use any Microphone compatible with the console, you don't need an officail Sony Mic. etc etc

Wow, I gotta fucking buy Doom.