By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Konami Helps Fund Amputee's Metal Gear Solid V Bionic Arm

Acevil said:
Nautilus said:

As far as I know, they did not bleed money in any of the main entries of MGS.Actually MGS 5 must have given a big profit for them.

Its not because they do one good deed(which is filled with marketing for MGS5), that will make up for the gigantic pile of shit they made over the years.

They were not doing well financially with their games for quiet some time. A lot of it was related to how costly Kojima production was at making games. 

What other game outside of MGS5 was Kojima making in the last few years?MGRising at best, as far as I know.If Konami was bleeding money because of its games, was in the hands of its own bad administration and/or other Konami developers.Which is also their fault, because you know, they managed to lose all of their talents.Not to mention that they tried to "modernize" some beloved franchises like Castlevania in a way that no fan asked.And failed miserably.

It was not one mistake that Konami made to be hated as it is today.It were many along the years, coupled with the fact that they hold many beloved franchises that are dear to alot of people(and burned them to the ground), that make people this angry about them.

PS:A good part of the costs that came from MGS5 was to develop the Fox Engine which(in theory) was going to be used in many of Konamis future games(like PT).In another words:MGS5 budget was actually to be lower, because tecnically the costs of creating the engine would be fractured betwenn several games, not to mention that it would also be cheaper to make other games, since you have your own engine and potentionally having better game mechanics/graphics than the competitors, and so on.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

That's nice.

Being halfway through the second video now, that arm is about as useful as a powerglove.

It might look cool, but it seems to be heavy and unresponsive and not very well designed in the first place.
It seems like they placed way too much emphasis on this thing looking cool (this being a marketing thing and all) rather than make sure that it actually improves his quality of life. They gave the poor kid hope, only to deliver something that is more like a toy than actual robotics.

This is more of a #Fuckonami story than a good guy Konami one if you ask me.

EDIT: btw. the kid has a gofundme page to be able to afford actual titanium implants that connect to his bone and would offer him much more possibility, of mobility and actual arm- and leg-like funktions.

Acevil said:
Honestly I still find it amusing the Konami is the villain, when they were bleeding money for this franchise.

Konami is seeking profitability no different than any other business and Silent Hills sounded very expensive to develop.

SuperNova said:
Being halfway through the second video now, that arm is about as useful as a powerglove.

It might look cool, but it seems to be heavy and unresponsive and not very well designed in the first place.
It seems like they placed way too much emphasis on this thing looking cool (this being a marketing thing and all) rather than make sure that it actually improves his quality of life. They gave the poor kid hope, only to deliver something that is more like a toy than actual robotics.

They spent 100k on it,

stop your zealous hate for Konami and move on

Around the Network
Ruler said:
SuperNova said:

They spent 100k on it,

stop your zealous hate for Konami and move on

I have honestly no hate for konami. I couldn't care less about konami. In fact I'd have written the exact same thing (admittedly without the catchy hashtag-thing) about any other company that pulled this off.

Did you watch the video? They didn't even make sure it was the same lengh as his natural limb. It has little to no functionality beyond led lights shining when you power it on. For it to actually function in any way they would have needed to connect it to his bone struckture (via the titanium implants I mentioned in regards to his gofundme). They gave him an expensive heavy accessory, when it boils down to it, marketing it as though it would be a fully functioning arm and thats not cool, no matter who you are. If you're going to mess with the life of an actual amputee you better make danm sure you do it right.