By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 360/PS3 Dual-Console Owners Most Annoyed About Red Ring, But Favoring Microsoft (Unofficial MP poll)

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/03/25/360ps3-dual-console-owners-most-annoyed-about-red-ring-but-favoring-microsoft/

Posted by Stephen Totilo on 3/25/08 at 4:41 pm.

Yesterday I asked readers of this site who own both a PlayStation 3 and an Xbox 360 what makes them play one console versus the other.

The response was terrific. It was insightful, entertaining, and — brace yourselves — tilted toward the 360.

I read through the posts and have tallied the count. I’ve also collected the most common explanations and some provocative quotes.

• Did you know there’s someone out there who plays their 360 more than their PS3 because they prefer custom soundtracks?
  • Did you know that there’s a trend among multi-console gamers who buy PS3 versions of multi-platform games because they are afraid of their 360 Red Ringing?

Of the 54 people who identified themselves as owning both consoles, 27 people said they’re playing their Xbox 360 more, 22 are leaning to the PlayStation 3 and five say their time is spent evenly.

And now for the fun stuff I pulled out of your responses…

Multiplayer’s Informal PS3-360 Dual-Console Owners’ Poll

All of the following comments and stats come from 54 Multiplayer commenters who say they own a PS3 and a 360 (in a couple of cases, two 360s). Notice how many items are split evenly between the two systems.

• Number of people who say Achievements compel them to spend more time on their 360 — 7
  • Number of people who expect to be hooked by Home — 2
  • Number of people who say they lean toward their 360 because most of their gamer friends are there — 9

Multiplayer reader Danh: The Xbox community is very social, like hanging out with friends on the weekend. The PS3 friend’s list is like the guy in high school I only talk to when I need to borrow a pencil.

• Number of people who say that the Red Ring of Death or other 360 hardware issues shifted their time to PS3 — 14
  • Number of people who say that PS3 hardware issues shifted their time to the 360 — 2

Multiplayer reader Jim: I buy all multiplats on PS3, partly due to controller preference and partly because I got the Red Ring of Death twice in 1 year, so it’s a pointless risk getting the 360 versions.

• Number of people who expressed a preference for the 360 controller — 4
  • Number of people who expressed a preference for the PS3 controller — 5

Multiplayer reader Royce: It’s the controller. Seriously. I just want to pick up “Rainbow Six Vegas 2” for 360 because I really enjoy the feel of having the triggers for a shooter, and I despise the feel of the shoulder buttons-masquerading-as-triggers on the PS3 controller. When I went to buy “Call of Duty 4,” I chose it for the PC (ha! a third option!) because after playing a rental version on 360, I just wanted that slightly more precise aiming ability that the mouse offers. Then when it comes to other game types, like a “Grand Theft Auto IV,” I think the PS3 offers the best controller in terms of feel and ease of use.

• Number of people who say the noisiness of the 360’s disc drive is a factor — 4
  • Number of people who say the 360’s online service is better enough to make a difference — 6
  • Number of people who say the PS3’s online service is better enough to make a difference — 6

Multiplayer reader beautifulraven: Custom soundtracks. After I beat a game it’s the only reason I come back. I get to relax and listen to my music. I have played through most 360 games multiple times. I can even stand playing bad games like “CoD 4” (not a bad game necessarily but not my type of game) Once the PS3 supports them I will come back to some of my ps3 games. Actually it’s the only reason I would buy the Xbox version over the PS3.

• Number of people who say the 360 gets more play because it has better games — 5
  • Number of people who say the PS3 gets more play because it has better games — 6
  • Number of people who say their PS3 is primarily their movie player — 5

Multiplayer reader Bill: PS3 gets used mostly as a movie player, which it is very good at, although it will not work with my Harmony remote. I do imagine - and hope, that Sony will finally concentrate on games now that its virtues as the “next” disc format are all but guaranteed. I really expected everybody would drift away from the Xbox when we got the other consoles - Especially the Wii, but it just has not happened. Everyone wants to use the 360, The Wii only gets used when company comes over. We had to get another 360 so we all get a chance to use it in different rooms.

• Number of people who say the fact that they owned a 360 first is a factor — 1
  • Number of people who say their gaming time is spent more on their 360 than their PS3: 27
  • Number of people who say their gaming time is spent more on their PS3 than their 360: 22
  • Number of people who say their gaming time is spent evenly between their PS3 and 360: 5

There are plenty more great comments and ideas in the original thread. So check it out.

And thanks again, Multiplayer readers, for proving that there’s ways to talk about multiple game consoles without engaging in a system war.

Around the Network

I read this too, it is quite interesting to see people still concerned about RRD, when M$ will replace the console for free (3 year warantee?), their only concern should be a week without those games, but there are plenty of PS3 exclusives to keep them busy in that time

Is actually a month without playing 360 games. You do get a 1 month xbox live card so they pay for that month that you missed out or a free month if you didn't have xbox live.

elnino334 said:
Is actually a month without playing 360 games. You do get a 1 month xbox live card so they pay for that month that you missed out or a free month if you didn't have xbox live.

A whole month! Do they repair your console or give you a new one? It may be different in the UK, but with my PS3 they just sent a courier to swap PS3s a few days after I called, I would assume the 360 service is quicker here

Munkeh111 said:
elnino334 said:

A whole month! Do they repair your console or give you a new one? It may be different in the UK, but with my PS3 they just sent a courier to swap PS3s a few days after I called, I would assume the 360 service is quicker here

Can be repaired or refurbished or new.  The agent who helped you should be able to tell you.  Not sure if the online status tells you since I never checked it and just called MS to get an update etc.  Basically it takes about 1 week to get the coffin, 1 week to send it back to MS, 1 week for MS to work on it, 1 week to get it back to you.

Around the Network

interesting results

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

Sounds like a pretty realistic article. Live and until now a better game selection makes the 360 a better game platform. (at the moment)
The PS3 on the other hand is the superior media platform and has better build quality.

Nothing radically new but interestingly put together. I had the same pro/cons when I decided for the PS3. I choose BluRay and the more beautiful design and also had future game potential in sight.

After 2008 a reevaluation on the "360 is the better game platform" will have to be made because of MGS4/GT etc.

elnino334 said:
Munkeh111 said:
elnino334 said:

Can be repaired or refurbished or new. The agent who helped you should be able to tell you. Not sure if the online status tells you since I never checked it and just called MS to get an update etc. Basically it takes about 1 week to get the coffin, 1 week to send it back to MS, 1 week for MS to work on it, 1 week to get it back to you.

Here in UK my 360 was done in  8 days. From the time I sent it to the time recieving it back.Also this doesnt surprise me at the moment. Realistically, the 360 in every category has at the moment a better game. PS3 is getting some good games this year. Then again so is 360. Unless the 360 goes without any good titles through a year I cant see this changing. Also Live is so vibrant compared to PSN. Sony has alot of work to do in heir online service. But it's free, so what Live offers my never be reached by Sony purely because of funding it. 

Munkeh111 said:
I read this too, it is quite interesting to see people still concerned about RRD, when M$ will replace the console for free (3 year warantee?), their only concern should be a week without those games, but there are plenty of PS3 exclusives to keep them busy in that time

Not if, like me, you view your consoles as a long term investment. I still play my Mega Drive and SNES and expect them to work as long as I want to play them. As long as RRoD is a problem I won't buy a 360 because the chances of it lasting like my other consoles is approximately 0.

On the other hand if you're the kind of person who only plays current-gen games and gets rid of their consoles as soon as new ones are released then you're right, there's nothing to be concerned about as the 360 probably won't be current-gen in 3 years anyway.

I don't think there's anything to be learned from a non-random sampling of 54 people that can be generalized to millions of people.