By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The WiiU was not the evolution of the Wii, it was...

Tagged games:

Wiiu is DS family, but i think wiiu is a Step to NX, I think streaming système will be used in NX... A link between HC and HH but not only when you are near, a link can use all networks... Streaming HH to HC everywhere...

Around the Network

Wii U could be construed as an evolution of a lot of things..
DS- As mentioned in OP
Wii- It bared the branding, had use of Wii peripherals, backward compatibility, and even has versions of the popular Wii series games like Wii sports, Wii Party and even stuff like Mario and Sonic Olympics.
Gameboy/Gamecube connector- Nintendo experimented with 2 screens back in the day, could Wii U be an evolution of this?
Trying to get in on the popularity of tablets- I can why Nintendo would go for this, however it was a terrible oversight on where the market was heading.

So basically, Wii U was really a very confusing project ,as even us gamers are scratching our heads as to what Nintendo were trying to achieve. The mass market were even more clueless as to what it is and its only going to end up how it did..disastrous. Big shame as I much prefer the Wii U as a gamer to the Wii.

zippy said:
DS- As mentioned in OP
Wii- It bared the branding, had use of Wii peripherals, backward compatibility, and even has versions of the popular Wii series games like Wii sports, Wii Party and even stuff like Mario and Sonic Olympics.
Gameboy/Gamecube connector- Nintendo experimented with 2 screens back in the day, could Wii U be an evolution of this?
Trying to get in on the popularity of tablets- I can why Nintendo would go for this, however it was a terrible oversight on where the market was heading.

So basically, Wii U was really a very confusing project ,as even us gamers are scratching our heads as to what Nintendo were trying to achieve. The mass market were even more clueless as to what it is and its only going to end up how it did..disastrous. Big shame as I much prefer the Wii U as a gamer to the Wii.

Gaming historians are going to have a lot of fun studying and analyzing the WiiU in a couple of decades.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Magnus said:

Nintendo clearly had no clue what made the DS and Wii so good. They had the Wii MotionPlus, they should have made that standard so proper motion controls were in all games, but they went with the gamepad instead.

What made wii successful was the novelty factor. After some time, when it wore off, wii sales were nothing to write home about. There is no reason to beleieve that with motion conrols the wiiu would have done well.

@OP

I have to disagree. They tried with Wiiu to find a "new" way to play. It just didn't have the same impact as wii. But the concept was the same.

Darwinianevolution said:
zippy said:
DS- As mentioned in OP

Gaming historians are going to have a lot of fun studying and analyzing the WiiU in a couple of decades.

Hopefully they won't be biased as most video game journalists. But I doubt they'll pay much attention to it.

Around the Network

Occam's razor: why looking for a complicated explanation when there is a simpler one?

They asked Xzibit to pimp the Wii.   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Most likely build on the idea of the DS with motion controls. I loved the WiiU.

patronmacabre said:
The Wii U was an attempt to capitalize on the tablet market more than anything else.

This

It was an attempt at evolving the Wii whilst also channeling the core audience. I guess this is something the DS managed perfectly (catering to casual and core). Looking at its reveal it looks as if their initial focus was casuals. 

No. WiiU is an evolution of a Gamecube. With both Wii and DS gimmicks attached. And failed, sadly.