By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - "It's not the platform holder's job to make [third party games] successful." - Robot Entertaiment CEO

Who's (most) responsible for a games success?

Platform holders. 10 20.00%

Game makers. 40 80.00%

Total:50
Chazore said:
See I can agree with this. With PC you have no platform owner since it's open which leaves those third parties to put in their absolute all and make sure the game works and sells. That is honestly how it should be for all the other platforms as well, those parties have to work for their keep, work for the sales and success rather than thinking they own the industry and thinking they are owed the sales and success along with free rides.

You could, kind of, say Valve is the platform holder of the Steam platform.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Around the Network

It's their job to help make everything successful
If they don't want the burden then go third party yourself
Benefits don't come without a price

Conina said:

It's also not the third parties' job to make a platform successful (by supporting it with games). Especially if the conditions on other platforms are better (better software tools, less (expensive) optimization needed thanks to powerful hardware, more people that buy these games/genres...)

this.

and being multi-plat has extra costs.  a 3rd party like EA will be more profitable if it has 10 million customers on 1 device than 1 million customers each on 10 devices. 

Definitely true. It is however the platform holders responsibility to make 3rd party offerings viable. At least if he wants to continually get 3rd party content on his platform.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

FunFan said:
Chazore said:
See I can agree with this. With PC you have no platform owner since it's open which leaves those third parties to put in their absolute all and make sure the game works and sells. That is honestly how it should be for all the other platforms as well, those parties have to work for their keep, work for the sales and success rather than thinking they own the industry and thinking they are owed the sales and success along with free rides.

I'm talking of course for the entire platform itself, not the store. Valve have their own different philsophy on how they go about their store the same way EA, Ubisoft and CDP go about GoG, all of them handle their stores very differently to one another. Even if we count Steam as a "store" platform, 3rd parties still have to do a dandy and tight job to secure the sales, it is their job to make sure it;s a great game, not really much to do with Valve, if anything Vlave just hand you the keys to set up shop and everything just goes on from there.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

I agree in a way but not fully. When it comes to making games on platforms, the main marketing is obviously the 3rd party's job, but in Nintendo's case, I think they need to emphasize the 3rd party games on their platforms as well, because that would only benefit Ninty in the long term.

Yes I agree, but it is not a third party dev's responsibility to publish games on a console if their games don't sell well. If the console audience is not interested they will go to other platforms. Also its the platform maker's responsibility to develop a good environment for other devs to grow and make games on.

Chazore said:
FunFan said:

I'm talking of course for the entire platform itself, not the store. Valve have their own different philsophy on how they go about their store the same way EA, Ubisoft and CDP go about GoG, all of them handle their stores very differently to one another. Even if we count Steam as a "store" platform, 3rd parties still have to do a dandy and tight job to secure the sales, it is their job to make sure it;s a great game, not really much to do with Valve, if anything Vlave just hand you the keys to set up shop and everything just goes on from there.

Hey, hey, hey. I agree. I was just being a bit fastidious. Not even Windows can be considered the only platform. But the dominance of this OS and Steam almost make it seem like Valve and Microsoft are the platform holders. Of course, they aren't. Are they?

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

FunFan said:

Hey, hey, hey. I agree. I was just being a bit fastidious. Not even Windows can be considered the only platform. But the dominance of this OS and Steam almost make it seem like Valve and Microsoft are the platform holders. Of course, they aren't. Are they?

No worries, I wasn't trying to come off as agressive or anything =P. They could be but with 3rd parties like EA/Ubisoft/GoG and the likes of Steam I would say all of them are split up, especially since EA refuses to sell on Steam which kinda kills the whole "one leader" aspect of the PC platform, I mean if Steam is meant to be a representitive then they should really have EA games on there but they haven't since BF3 was locked down to Origin. Ubisoft games can be bought and launched on Steam but they mostly require you use the Uplay launcher in order to play those titles, that then technically becomes Ubisoft's issue to sort out. It;s basically messy when you try lumping it to one or two people =P. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Nothing wrong with what he says.

A platform holder has to provide a platform that allows everybody to have success, but it's the game developers that have to find a way to make their games successful.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.