By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Emily Rogers: NX not gonna use X86 architecture, raw power close to XBO

zorg1000 said:
Nate4Drake said:
NX must be at least as powerful as PS4.

Why? What is going to change so much by going from Xbox One level of power up to Playstation 4 level of power?

Nothing lol, but let people be ... people.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
Intrinsic said:

Parity? you really need to take off those Nintendo goggles and be realistic. Having 1TF doesmt mean you have parity when you system PL is vastly different from what the rest if the industry uses. As far as third parties are concerned, they pretty much make one universal code of their game and make 3 slightly different versions of that code for the PS4/XB1/PC. If the NX is using an ARM based architecture then that means they have to make a near complete different version of their code just to support it. All for a platform competing with consoles that at the time would have well over 80M consoles on the market?

Anyways, if Nintendo is going ARM, I think their reasoning is to make a WiiU like controller that has its own dedicated ARM chip built in and will play all the home console games albeit at different settings. But buying the NX will basically be like buying a handheld and a home console combined. They probably feel they can't really compete in the home market with the likes of Sony and Ms, but they know they can still dominate the mobile market. so merging both as one unit is probably what they are after. 

It's a gamble, but I do think it's the best shot they have at any form of relevance. It's them simply playing to their strenghts. 

You clearly know nothing about what you're talking about if you genuinely think that coding for different archicetures is as demanding as you're making it out to be in 2016, and 1TF offers nearly identical power parity to the XBO. We have engines meant to make porting this kind of stuff brainless for a reason. Unity exists for a reason. Unreal 4 is prominent for a reason.

After saying that you honestly think I'm the one that has no idea what I'm talking about? Ok then. Fair enough. by the fall of 2017, I'll be sure to seek you out and tell you o told you so. 

Soundwave said:
se7en7thre3 said:

Look at her play on words.  Raw power/specs is different from performance.  Number of shaders, compute units etc is rthe aw power. Now the performance rating of polaris is double, so if NX is closer or even weaker on paper as Emily implies (being a "stretch") with the raw numbers, it will still out perform the older tech.  10-12 cu, 

Also  look at  how she mentions  the ps4k competitor part, but that is a 4+ tf  console. Its obvious Emily is arguing about Polaris 10, even though most people are talking about polaris 11.  The polaris 10 (5+ tf) is the ridiculous rumor IMO.

Nothing has changed really, other than her shooting down the super ambitoius PS4k competitor claims.  I am in supermetal64's Polaris 11 + arm camp unless proven otherwise. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ_4eNnMFFo

I dunno at this point SMD64 sounds like he's invested so much into the Polaris thing that he won't let it go easily, like he admits the portable could use Nvidia Tegra, but the console will still use Polaris. That's not happening with a unified platform, if the portable is using Nvidia Tegra tech then it's a virtual lock the console is just an upscaled version of that.

Pay attention to her words that she is using very carefully lol she's fighting a mini strawman. Emily's main objection is NX being a competitor to PS4k,  which motivated her to reply, that much is very clear.  The only little thing she mentioned in passing about OG PS4, was the NX gpu being double PS4 "power"but again, it could be weaker on paper and still out perform with polaris 11.  Also the way she speaks against x86 makes it seem like Arm.  Not that huge a deal. So why can't it be nvidia + arm for the portable, and amd + arm for the home?  

Also the tegra is  really only 512 gflops, sincethe 1 tf rating is on a FP16 scale when consoles go by FP32, so it is a marketing ploy.  It would still be a great next gen portable, and its safe to assume Ninty would further clock that down so more around 350-400 gflops if they use that tegra x1 chip.

Soundwave said:

I still don't think people want to do anything with a game OS. "Because iPhone" is not a reason.

At least wait until the actual OS for this thing is unveiled, you're derailing every NX thread with some imaginary wonder OS that you've invented inside your head. This isn't even relevant to this topic. This topic is about the NX CHIPSET.

The Apple stuff is just stupid anyway, every freaking industry has some blow hard saying "we're the Apple of XYZ". There is no Apple of anything else. Apple is Apple, they are a one in a million company that is basically a part luxury electronics and part fashion brand basically and even they are largely just cruising off things that Steve Jobs pushed for that are now 7-10 years old. But they can get away with it because they are a "sexy/cool" brand.

You're warping words. Nobody's actively hoping for neat OS features to sell them on NX. It's not meant to be flashy. It's meant to be effective, and it will be. The reality is, that's what's going to sell them on NX. "Because iPhone" was never the reason. "Because of everything Soundwave forgets within a second of reading it" is the reason.

Why the hell should I wait for the reveal when they've told us this stuff already? Why should I wait for Nintendo's permission to talk about something they've already made abundanly clear for over two years now? Pay attention and stop ignoring evidence and awaiting validation.

I'm not derailing anything. Let's jog that memory of yours a bit. I'll walk you through how this whole thing went down. Don't worry - it's not a complicated series of events. First, the thread is about an Emily Rogers rumor primerily about not using x86 and having power close to the XBO. It's not just about the NX CHIPSET. You said NX needs a gimmick to make up for the lack of power. I said it didn't and would eclipse the PS4 and XBO in sales even if it were weaker than the XBO. You challenged me to explain how further. I did. Here we are. You had no problem duking the topic out until your flimsy arguments collapsed under their own flake.

And of course there can be an Apple of something else. Like when NX makes Nintendo the Apple of gaming with their XBO-level console that redefines consoles the way the iPhone redefined cell phones. You know, using boring old UI, firmware, marketplace, OS, and a unified platform. That stuff. Like a smartphone compared to old cell phones, come to think of it.

I actually came up with a term to simplify all this stuff so that I don't need to spend dozens of posts re-explaining it to people I've already explained it to. Don't know if I told it to you yet. I like call the NX a "smartconsole." :)

Intrinsic said:

After saying that you honestly think I'm the one that has no idea what I'm talking about? Ok then. Fair enough. by the fall of 2017, I'll be sure to seek you out and tell you o told you so. 

You could, but you'd be lying.

Around the Network
spemanig said:

It's not meant to be impressive by itself. NX is the sum of its parts. Already said that numerous times to you in numerous threads. Stop goldfishing and start remembering more than one post in the past. Never claimed that Nintendo was going to position digital only or My Nintendo as the killer app. They are glue. A means to an end. The gears that make the clock work. An unceremonious foundation to the NX empire.

Yes they are and no it's not. They aren't becoming a mobile centric platform at all. They are console focused, obviously. Even if the NX is slightly weaker than the XBO, you're acting like that's microconsole territory. That's a generational leap in power from the Wii U, and that's all it needs to be. All it's games will have parity with the PS4 and XBO, and that's all that matters.

So, I before I jump back in here, I want to make sure that I have the right idea of what you expect the NX to be, and how successful you think it will be.

1. It will be digital only.

2. It will have a unified library with the handheld and every game will have cross buy/save.

3. It will have a touch based UI for both the console and the handheld.

4. It will offer gamers "points" for every purchase through the My Nintendo rewards program.

5. The E-shop will offer regular deals and competitive sales.

6. It will have equal 3rd party support to the Xbox One and PS4.

7. You think it will outsell the PS4 and Xbox One once it launches.

8. You think it will sell upwards of 100 million units.

Do I have all of that, and am I missing anything important?

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

spemanig said:
Intrinsic said:

You could, but you'd be lying.

Lol and you know that cause you are sure you are right and I'm wrong right?

Anyways just to be clear. I don't know anything about home and handheld in one thingy, that is me just thinking out loud. But I do know that 1TF isn't going to suddenly solve all nintendos third party woes. And I'm saying that unless Nintendo actively goes for third parties, come a year after its laucmh you will still see limited third party support on the NX. 

Intrinsic said:

Lol and you know that cause you are sure you are right and I'm wrong right?

Anyways just to be clear. I don't know anything about home and handheld in one thingy, that is me just thinking out loud. But I do know that 1TF isn't going to suddenly solve all nintendos third party woes. And I'm saying that unless Nintendo actively goes for third parties, come a year after its laucmh you will still see limited third party support on the NX. 

Yes.

And just to be clear, what I'm saying is that 1TF isn't going to suddenly end all third party relations for the NX the next five years because it's "too weak to port to." Obviously Nintendo has to go for third parties.

lol

User Actions
Following

Emily Rogers
‏@ArcadeGirl64
@SirMajesty42 @Tenkay23 My blog post never talked about real performance. That's the problem. My blog post only used the words raw power.

see....

Normchacho said:

So, I before I jump back in here, I want to make sure that I have the right idea of what you expect the NX to be, and how successful you think it will be.

1. It will be digital only.

2. It will have a unified library with the handheld and every game will have cross buy/save.

3. It will have a touch based UI for both the console and the handheld.

4. It will offer gamers "points" for every purchase through the My Nintendo rewards program.

5. The E-shop will offer regular deals and competitive sales.

6. It will have equal 3rd party support to the Xbox One and PS4.

7. You think it will outsell the PS4 and Xbox One once it launches.

8. You think it will sell upwards of 100 million units.

Do I have all of that, and am I missing anything important?

1. Yes.

2. And cross play between the NX and NXDS. Yes-ish.

3. Yes. Dual screens for both.

4. That's not all, but essentially yes.

5. Yes.

6. Um, that depends on factors outside of the hardware, but for the sake of argument, yes.

7. Within the first year, I think it will outsell them weekly, yes.

8. Lifetime, definitely.

No you're missing something.

9. NX will be backwards compatible with the eShop of the Wii U and 3DS. That's important for the marketplace.

And there's probably more I'm forgetting because I've never laid it out like this. But I'm sure your upcoming post will jog my memory. Go on.