By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Emily Rogers: NX not gonna use X86 architecture, raw power close to XBO

spemanig said:

Because mainstream consumers aren't against going all-digital. That's your problem. You think an all digital console will cause this mass exodus. It won't. You think it's actually a negative point for enyone who doesn't frequent a gaming forum. It isn't. No one is as passionate about this non-issue as you are. No one but you is going to see the NX and go "humbug - they're FORCING digital on us." They'll go "oh wow, this thing is neat" and not even pay attention to the fact that it's digital only because, newsflash, everything is nowaways. People are used to all digital and have been for a decade. Nobody thinks about physical anymore outside of console gaming and nobody but the 2% will even notice when it's gone. NX will come out, will provide a user experience that is quicker, easier, more streamlined, and more modern than anything physical could ever achieve, and that will make physical media platforms like PS4 and XBO look completely obsolete by comparison. I guarantee you the PS4K2 and the XB3 will be digital only in response to the NX if they don't release a digital only revision of the PS4K and XB2 first. The equivalent of Blackberry releasing a touch screen phone after the iPhone.

And don't be mistaken - I have never once said that digital only would be the selling point. It's not. Digital only is merely a means to an end, but it is the means. People aren't going to want the NX because Nintendo markets it as digital only, because they won't market it as digital only, just like Apple doesn't market the iPad as digital only or the Apple TV as digital only. It's 2016 - that's not some out-there prospect anymore. Digital only is the means to that end. It's the glue that keeps it all together, not the product. Like I said, it's about UI, OS, firmware, the unified platform, and marketplace. That's the selling point. What's going to sell the NX is simply that it'll frankly be a better, more modern product than the PS4 or XBO are while still being on par. That's all that matters. PS4 is the Blackberry. NX is the iPhone.

Also, get out of here with used games lmfao. Anyone who thinks that used games are what's going to stop the inevitable digital renaissance is out of touch with reality. It's a non-factor that only benefits Gamestop. PC gets along fine with no used games, and so will NX. There are a non-factor.

No, the best argument is "Look at how awesome and modern our platform is. Nintendo games, third party games, and the device is really good." Boring to type. Exciting to watch.

To end it, I'll just leave you with my favorite Miyamoto quote from E3 2014:

"So, particularly with digital downloads now and the idea that you're downloading the right to play a game, that opens up the ability to have multiple platform digital downloads where you can download on one and download on another. Certainly from a development standpoint there is some challenge to it, because if you have two devices that have different specs and you're being told to design in a way that the game runs on both devices, then that can be challenging for the developer—BUT if you have a more unified development environment and you're able to make one game that runs on both systems INSTEAD of having to make a game for each system, that's an area of opportunity for us." - Miyamoto with Kotaku

Make of that the only thing that can be made of that.

This poibt is entirely false. It goes with the assumption that smartphone apps and console games are similar but they are not. Games on smartphone have a size of 3GB at max while the average AAA console game is many times that size. The size of digital download matters as not everyone is willing to spend hours downloading a game rather than just paying for it and installing it on their HDD. Most smartphone apps aren't even a 100MB in size.

The thing about used games is that they matter to console gamers because the price of console games is high. Steam has incredible sales so people can buy games at very low prices and that offsets the need to sell their games. I doubt that Nintendo will give gamers such huge discount.

The point about the UI being streamlined is completely up in the air yet you talk about it as if its a fact. Nintendo's hardware has always felt aged even if we don't consider that they are underpowered. Microsoft and Sony design much better hardware and the consoles have great UI, XB1 especially runs Windows 10 and it doesn't get more streamlined than that.

As for marketplace and ecosystems, PSN and XBL are very well-developed ecosystems, its Nintendo who has to catch up first.

Around the Network
SonytendoAmiibo said:

Ha ha ha ha!  Get real. History repeats itself.

Look at what happened to Microsoft when they said no used games on XBox One. It destroyed them.

If Nintendo says no used games, I say goodbye to Nintendo.

Lol, I can't believe anyone thinks used games had anything to do with the XBO. It wasn't that you were buying discs that became worthless once you used them or the console bricking itself when not connected to the internet or launching at $500 or the Kinect being bundled in needlessly or the NSA scare or Don Mattricks PR disaster or talking about TV and sports instead of games at your games console reveal even. It was used games that "destroyed them." Get real.

spemanig said:

Lol, I can't believe anyone thinks used games had anything to do with the XBO. It wasn't that you were buying discs that became worthless once you used them or the console bricking itself when not connected to the internet or launching at $500 or the Kinect being bundled in needlessly or the NSA scare or Don Mattricks PR disaster or talking about TV and sports instead of games at your games console reveal even. It was used games that "destroyed them." Get real.

It wasn't the sole reason but it was one of the reasons :S

spemanig said:
SonytendoAmiibo said:

Ha ha ha ha!  Get real. History repeats itself.

Look at what happened to Microsoft when they said no used games on XBox One. It destroyed them.

If Nintendo says no used games, I say goodbye to Nintendo.

Microsoft shot off both feet and proceeded to the coup de gras. Can't argue there.

But no used games was quickly jumped on buy Sony with their impromptu on stage demonstration. If I remember anything about that E3 it was that. It was Greatness in action.

https://youtu.be/kWSIFh8ICaA

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

Well, at least this would be consistent with the idea that Nintendo wont sell at a lose and it gives them the opportunity to undercut the competition.

Around the Network
WolfpackN64 said:
haxxiy said:
Well, that's a step up from using a 1998 CPU architecture on the Wii-U. Right, folks?

Technically, they could use a POWER8 or a Power e6500 core, which has the PowerPC architecture implementation of 2013.

About zero chance of a PowerPC console ever happening again. It would be cool, though.

Comparable power to the Xbox One? Uh oh.

Ballas said:

This poibt is entirely false. It goes with the assumption that smartphone apps and console games are similar but they are not. Games on smartphone have a size of 3GB at max while the average AAA console game is many times that size. The size of digital download matters as not everyone is willing to spend hours downloading a game rather than just paying for it and installing it on their HDD. Most smartphone apps aren't even a 100MB in size.

The thing about used games is that they matter to console gamers because the price of console games is high. Steam has incredible sales so people can buy games at very low prices and that offsets the need to sell their games. I doubt that Nintendo will give gamers such huge discount.

The point about the UI being streamlined is completely up in the air yet you talk about it as if its a fact. Nintendo's hardware has always felt aged even if we don't consider that they are underpowered. Microsoft and Sony design much better hardware and the consoles have great UI, XB1 especially runs Windows 10 and it doesn't get more streamlined than that.

As for marketplace and ecosystems, PSN and XBL are very well-developed ecosystems, its Nintendo who has to catch up first.

It's not false. There are ways to circumnavigate that wait that already exist today. No one will be waiting hours to play NX games. There's predownloading, there's downloading while you're away from your device and having it ready when you get gome. There's downloading a small part of the game and playing that as the rest downloads in the background. None of the issues you're talking about are realistic factors anymore. Size is not a problem at all.

Nintendo are doing that. They're doing it with My Nintendo, everyone does it with game sales, and that will only grow on the NX. I'm all digital. I actually know. I actually spend money on the eshop regularly to buy retail games. Maybe 33% of all games I've purchased were at full price when not counting VC. The myth that console gaming is expensive is just that - a myth. Games are regularly severely discounted on the eshop, and that only gets better with My Nintendo. The severity, frequency, and spread of the discounts on Steam have always been grossly eggadurated.

It's what DeNA was initially brought in for. Not mobile - backend and UI. When you look at My Nintendo and the Nintendo Account site, you can see whe night and day difference between pre-DeNA Nintendo's UI and post-DeNA Nintendo's UI. You'd have to be willingly sticking your neck in the sand to pretend that that design won't be applied for the platform these programs were built to integrate into. Also, Nintendo has a touch screen. No amount of Windows 10 is going to make up for having to use a controller to navigate their menu. You've seen what Apple was able to do with UI thanks to the benefit of having a touch screen. NX is going to finally have people who actually know what they're doing designing their UI.

And of course PS4 and XBO are well developed for what they are. They are both the best possible implementation of a flawed and obsolete system, but they have nothing on Apple's Appstore, Android's marketplace, or Steam's marketplace which are in a different league entirely, and they never will as long as the option for physical media takes precidence. Nintendo isn't just going to catch up, they are going to stream-roll past PS4 and XBO here.

If Nintendo are going arm this time, but under-powered yet again then there's no way 3rd party developers are touching them.
Using CPU architecture that was different from where the industry was moving to was one of the main reasons why 3rd party publishers dropped their support for Wii U.
The market for dedicated gaming platforms in people's homes is all about X86 and a minimum level of performance on a par at least with XB1, anything under that or going with some alien architecture is going to be avoided.

Hell it would be something if Nintendo had a recent history of being able to sell 3rd party games on their home consoles, but that hasn't been the case for a very long time.
The lack of games targeted at the western 3rd party market, that really appeals to that audience is one of the main reasons why those people that play 3rd party games don't buy Nintendo.

Nintendo needs to address these issues, this rumor basically points to a Nintendo that aren't addressing these issues at all. It makes zero sense.

TBH I've been saying for a while (basically since Iwata began mentioning an Apple like ecosystem) that Nintendo are likely making an OS that will be able to run on multiple platforms, run all of their games going forward and that will be able to work across multiple different specs of systems, with games that can scale up and down for each platform's requirements.
The only way that works is to get 3rd party developers back on board, by meeting the needs of their performance requirements, which is easy with what AMD has to offer at the time frame of when NX releases.

Hell the Handheld could be using an AMD K12 Arm processor, but since the company hasn't mentioned any other GPU architecture besides Polaris there's not really much else that they could offer.
I find it very unlikely that Nintendo would move away from AMD, when the 2 companies have had a long term relationship and AMD are still very much relevant, where as IBM aren't within the console market place, especially since Nintendo were the only company to use them this generation.

This rumor from Emily Rogers doesn't seem very credible at all.

SonytendoAmiibo said:

Microsoft shot off both feet and proceeded to the coup de gras. Can't argue there.

But no used games was quickly jumped on buy Sony with their impromptu on stage demonstration. If I remember anything about that E3 it was that. It was Greatness in action.

https://youtu.be/kWSIFh8ICaA

And that's all it achieved. It allowed Sony to make a cheeky, meaningless jab at XBO because they had already one handily. Shallow theatrics. That's it.

You know what would have happened if the XBO was everything it is now from the get go and that's what they announced? And they talked about games instead of TV? And Phil Spencer was the voice of Xbox from the get go?  And the only "negative" was no used games? PS4 would be in deep shit right now, because it would actually have real competition. Sony wouldn't have dared done that demonstration under those circumstances, because they would have come off looking like idiots.

Enter NX, but better.