By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you think Nintendo's holding off of officially revealing NX ultimately helpful or hurtful to Nintendo?

Is waiting past E3 to reveal NX a good thing for Nintendo?

Yes 120 38.71%

No 152 49.03%

See results 38 12.26%

Total:310
Arlo said:
Jon-Erich said:

Years ago? What are you talking about? NX was first mentioned in March of last year. Even when they did mention it, they had very little choice. They had announced their their mobile initiative at the same time and had they mentioned mobile without mentioning their future console plans, that would have led to speculation that Nintendo was discontinuing Wii U and 3DS.

You're right, I misremembered--it was a year and change.  I still think that'a way too long for them to be silent about it though.

Definitely feels like longer, which is a problem. 

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
bigtakilla said:

Do something NOW. I don't care if it's release more WIi U games, or simply show some NX games but do SOMETHING. While the gaming world is moving forward with their consoles, and showing games, and upgraded hardware, and virtual reality, and price drops, and 3rd party partnerships  what is Nintendo doing? Showing us the worse version of an upcoming game announced two years prior.... Why? 

Having their own event at a seperate date than E3 allows them to avoid sharing the spotlight with all those things, it allows them to be the center of attention instead of fighting for attention at an event that is losing relevance.

And then what? Hold their breath and hope people care? The live conference is losing relavence sure, but do you think that time frame is loosing relavence to gamers? All the people who are dropping out of an actual conference are still holding events. I agree the on stage stuff is pointless, the digital events have proven that. But it is still the time all gamers tend to lend the gaming world their ears. 

bigtakilla said:
zorg1000 said:

Having their own event at a seperate date than E3 allows them to avoid sharing the spotlight with all those things, it allows them to be the center of attention instead of fighting for attention at an event that is losing relevance.

And then what? Hold their breath and hope people care? The live conference is losing relavence sure, but do you think that time frame is loosing relavence to gamers? All the people who are dropping out of an actual conference are still holding events. I agree the on stage stuff is pointless, the digital events have proven that. But it is still the time all gamers tend to lend the gaming world their ears. 

What do you mean and then what? They reveal the console when E3 hype has calmed down and where they can be the center of attention.

Revealing it during E3 means they potentially risk getting lost in the shuffle of PS4 Neo, Xbox 1.5/Slim, PSVR/other headsets & all the big holiday titles that cant be played on NX.

With Nintendo's current situation they cant risk having the new console reveal getting outshined by all the other announcements happening.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
bigtakilla said:

What do you mean and then what? They reveal the console when E3 hype has calmed down and where they can be the center of attention.

Revealing it during E3 means they potentially risk getting lost in the shuffle of PS4 Neo, Xbox 1.5/Slim, PSVR/other headsets & all the big holiday titles that cant be played on NX.

With Nintendo's current situation they cant risk having the new console reveal getting outshined by all the other announcements happening.

But to whom will they reveal it to? Gamers at large aren't going to be at a Nintendo only event, so then you limit yourself to who will tune in. Yes there will be every single gaming media convering it, but people will still be riding the high of this years E3 and whatever this years "Final Fantasy VII Remake" may be. Also, the ramping up hype for consoles, and games, and devices releasing at the end of the year will be in full force. Expect June, July, and August for the hype of E3 to carry throughout. Then Sept Oct and Nov will be huge advertisements for VR, PS4 Neo, ect. So when is that magical time to announce? 

bigtakilla said:
Miyamotoo said:

1. Again, It wouldnt be good move to reveal NX at E3 with all that other huge news like VR, PS4.5, new Xbox, other huge games...best way is to reveal NX sometime after E3 at separate event where they will have all attention and all time only for itself, same like PS/MS done with PS4/XB1.best way is to reveal NX sometime after E3 at separate event where they will have all attention and all time only for itself, same like PS/MS done with PS4/XB1.

2. Yes you can, but that doesnt work any more in modern time where technical devices are reviled just few months before launch and where people are buying and changing technical devices much more frequent than ever before. Just look revile and launch of last 3 consoles, Wii U was reviled 1.5 year before launch and totally failed, PS4/XB1 had revile 9-6 monts and they had great revile na great launch.

1: So hold their breath till when? Both Microsoft and Sony announced BEFORE E3 so they could dedicate the show to the games coming out at E3. VERY smart move. Nintendo is holding their breath for some magical date where everyone is going to care about Nintendo?.... After a year + of not being relevant to the gaming world..... Why is this a good idea, or more likely how?...

2: PS4 released 2 and a half years ago...... Times haven't changed that much.... NX if announced now would only be 10 months away, lol.

1. Yes, we hold breath for PS4/XB1 also. Bought PS4/XB1 were released at holiday season, NX will release one quarter later, I am sure that Nintendo would do same thing like MS done if NX would come this holiday season but NX coming 4 monts later. Currently nobody care about Nintendo because they don't have nothing interesting, but when they have to show new hardware or great new games everybody again will care, it so simple.

2. What are you talking about!? I mention Wii/XB1/PS4 like example of changed time compared to previous generation when consoles were announced 1.5 year before launched. Like I wrote, Wii U was reviled 1.5 year before launch and totally failed, PS4/XB1 had reviled 9-6 monts before launch and they had great revile na great launch, NX will probably have revile same like XB1 around 6 monts before launch.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
bigtakilla said:

1: So hold their breath till when? Both Microsoft and Sony announced BEFORE E3 so they could dedicate the show to the games coming out at E3. VERY smart move. Nintendo is holding their breath for some magical date where everyone is going to care about Nintendo?.... After a year + of not being relevant to the gaming world..... Why is this a good idea, or more likely how?...

2: PS4 released 2 and a half years ago...... Times haven't changed that much.... NX if announced now would only be 10 months away, lol.

1. Yes, we hold breath for PS4/XB1 also. Bought PS4/XB1 were released at holiday season, NX will release one quarter later, I am sure that Nintendo would do same thing like MS done if NX would come this holiday season but NX coming 4 monts later. Currently nobody care about Nintendo because they don't have nothing interesting, but when they have to show new hardware or great new games everybody again will care, it so simple.

2. What are you talking about!? I mention Wii/XB1/PS4 like example of changed time compared to previous generation when consoles were announced 1.5 year before launched. Like I wrote, Wii U was reviled 1.5 year before launch and totally failed, PS4/XB1 had reviled 9-6 monts before launch and they had great revile na great launch, NX will probably have revile same like XB1 around 6 monts before launch.

1:Now you're essentailly making no sense. When they announce NX 6 months before release people are going to care?.... Doubtful, I think a lot of people will be wrapped up in how awesome that VR commercial or that PS4 Neo commercial looked that's releasing soon over a company who's consoles they haven't cared about in around (if not over) a decade released in half a year. Remember, the marketing for the Neo and Morpheus will be in FULL effect by then, and that's not even counting an Xbox One revision.

2: I'm talking about NX not having a year until release. Saying a console doesn't need a year and a half of advertisement doesn't really apply when there isn't a year and a half to advertise it....

bigtakilla said:
zorg1000 said:

But to whom will they reveal it to? Gamers at large aren't going to be at a Nintendo only event, so then you limit yourself to who will tune in. Yes there will be every single gaming media convering it, but people will still be riding the high of this years E3 and whatever this years "Final Fantasy VII Remake" may be. Also, the ramping up hype for consoles, and games, and devices releasing at the end of the year will be in full force. Expect June, July, and August for the hype of E3 to carry throughout. Then Sept Oct and Nov will be huge advertisements for VR, PS4 Neo, ect. So when is that magical time to announce? 

Gamers at large arent going to be at E3 either

"E3 is a professional trade event and is not open to the general public. Individuals who are not able to document their direct and current professional affiliation to the interactive entertainment industry are not qualified to attend."

Taken directly from the E3 website.

I believe late August-early September would be a good time for the reveal, E3 hype will have died down and the ads for the big holiday products wont be in full force yet.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
bigtakilla said:

"E3 is a professional trade event and is not open to the general public. Individuals who are not able to document their direct and current professional affiliation to the interactive entertainment industry are not qualified to attend."

I believe late August-early September would be a good time for the reveal, E3 hype will have died down and the ads for the big holiday products wont be in full force yet.

That is quite a large leap in faith you got there, especially when considering people not falling off the hype train once the advertisements for the others new products DO hit. Having people excited in Sept isn't going to matter if they jump ship to VR, or remodeled hardware in Oct or Nov.

The truth of the matter is there is no perfect time.

bigtakilla said:
zorg1000 said:

That is quite a large leap in faith you got there, especially when considering people not falling off the hype train once the advertisements for the others new products DOES hit. Having people excited in Sept isn't going to matter if they jump ship to VR in Oct or Nov.

so why is skipping E3 such a big deal then? basically you just said NX will be overshadowed regardless of when its revealed.

zorg1000 said:
bigtakilla said:

That is quite a large leap in faith you got there, especially when considering people not falling off the hype train once the advertisements for the others new products DOES hit. Having people excited in Sept isn't going to matter if they jump ship to VR in Oct or Nov.

so why is skipping E3 such a big deal then? basically you just said NX will be overshadowed regardless of when its revealed.

Because that's the time all gamers take two or three days to see what's happening. I don't own a PS4, for the most part I don't care about the Playstation brand, I never once searched Playstation in a google search engine, but I do watch the Playstation E3 event. That's the time frame everyone who is a gamer sits down and sees what's going on in the gaming world.