By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Is it time to worry about Austria? - UPDATE: Austria remains independent

OttoniBastos said:
The ascension of the right(i'm going to assume far right based on OP's post) is a natural and expected consequence of how the left is dealing with the refugee crisis they help to start to begin with.

Social media(which is mostly from the left) first tried to pretend nothing was happening(when it was just random non-coordinated violent acts),then after the last year's eve in germany,social media kept their mouth shut for like a week without saying a single thing about that event and when they finally came out of their caves they started using the racist card.

Thing is,people don't care about political correctness when their daughters are being raped or when someone can explode a public place and why? because the goverment couldn't afford to check who was getting into the country and just opened the gates as if they were asking for a trojan horse?!

This. Stupid EU politicans have allowed this to go on for decade's, and Europe is now a big mess because of it! Europe should stop immigrating people, hope that the ones right now integrate, and learn from these mistake's. People who don't like the facts can go to the middle east and enjoy "multiculuturalism" there! 

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

Update

I've got to say that I lucked out on this one. Kinda.

The FPÖ guy (Norbert Hofer) got 51.9% of the votes on Sunday, but the official result didn't arrive until Monday afternoon. The reason being that the votes which arrived via mail had yet to be counted, and those were almost 900,000 of a total of ~4.5 million votes. Overall, 72.7% of eligible voters made use of their right, so the number of voters rose even further for the final round of the election. Six years ago only 53.6% went through the trouble.

In the end Alexander van der Bellen won with 50.3%, a gap of roughly 31,000 votes. This means that Austria will remain independent from Germany, although during the last few weeks I was warming up to the idea of living in the country of the World and (soon to be) European champion of football.

Moral of the story: Maybe voting isn't a complete waste of time. I didn't vote this time either, but the result was a lot closer than I expected.

Here's a cool map of the majorities in individual districts. Looks overwhelmingly blue, but Vienna in the northeast consists of 23 districts which are barely distinguishable here. Austria's capital also has the highest population density by far. Just in case somebody is wondering how green won.

What? So apparently the FPO wanted to create a sort of "4th reich" with germany? Lol.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

That election was close, too close. If we're not vigilant, we might see disaster in Europe again. Austria is not the only country in Europe right now that has far-right fever.

WolfpackN64 said:
That election was close, too close. If we're not vigilant, we might see disaster in Europe again. Austria is not the only country in Europe right now that has far-right fever.

Really? Because most countries in Europe have seen a large increase in the rise of the right, and for a good reason. And what disaster would come from this exactly? Right winged doesn't = nazi.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2016/05/daily-chart-18

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/05/22/world/europe/europe-right-wing-austria-hungary.html

RolStoppable said:

Update

Interesting. For what I can tell the ecologist party won mostly in cities. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Around the Network
barneystinson69 said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Really? Because most countries in Europe have seen a large increase in the rise of the right, and for a good reason. And what disaster would come from this exactly? Right winged doesn't = nazi.

This isn't just a rise of "the right". Parties like the FN, FPÖ, PVV have clear fascist influences. The centre-right meanwhile is shrinking, they don't have any awnsers to this problem, nor does the far right, but people still need to realise that.

Damn close but at least Hofer didn't win.