By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - CIVIL WAR: Best Super Hero Movie so far

Fei-Hung said:
Angelus said:

I saw it last night and was honestly crushingly disappointed. I can see why the general audience would enjoy it, but for me, knowing the actual Civil War storyline this was quite sad.

The whole movie is a damn jokefest, with only brief moments of seriousness sprinkled in.

The central conflict builds around Bucky, which is stupid, because he's simply not significant enough to have earth's heroes go to war over him.

Captain America's team is honestly vastly outmatched, but are made OP because hey it's a Cap movie, so he needs to look good. The only true threat on his team, Scarlett Witch, is for some reason left alone during the entire airport fight so she can assist every single member of his team without interference. Vision probably should be fighting her, but instead he's off screen being useless. At this point I'm pretty sure his character was created solely to die in Infinity War, since Marvel refuses to kill anyone of any real import.

Captain America comes across as a huge fucking asshole in this entire movie. He considers himself above the United Nations, is willing to beat on half his friends and make the other half outlaws to free Bucky (despite the fact that he himself knows he's a danger to others), and worst of all knows a little something major spoilery I won't mention that is absolutely unforgivable to not tell your friend. He's just a selfish, arrogant douche in pretty much the whole movie.

The villain, which they didn't even need to have, because the whole point of the Civil War story is two opposing ideologies between heroes, is once again weak, pointless, and cliche. Plus his "plan" relies entirely on random luck.

I have to say, as a whole I'm getting fed up with Marvel's movies now. They just treat everything like a giant joke. These are supposed to be their big guns, with real stakes on the line, and yet a single episode of their "Street level" heroes in their Netflix shows feels like it has 100x more important shit going on. I mean it's perfectly fine, great even, to have those properties like Guardians of the Galaxy, Spiderman, and Antman where things are more light-hearted and the overall tone is pretty funny. It makes sense for those characters. But you can't just throw a movie like Civil War on screen and have everyone aside from Black Panther crack one liners every two minutes and act like it's all just a big game to everyone. It's just stupid.

And that's the very reason I won't be watching it. The civil war comics arch was one of the best story arcs in comics and it's been destroyed in the film. It's put me off the marvel universe all together. 

Looks like my comic book adaptation fix will now come from Netflix, the Flash and Dredd (if it gets a sequel or series). 

'One of the best story arcs in comics'? Are we talking about the same mess that had Tony Stark make an unethical prison in another dimension so superheros violating that act could get sent there without trial, drafting teenage superheros into becoming trained-to-kill soldiers against their will, and ordering a hit-squad of convicted felons (the Thunderbolts) to murder Spider-man for daring to defect to Captain America's side?

The same story arc that wasted all of the potential to have two sides engaged in a morally complex dilemia, and instead turned one side into complete and utter villains?

The same arc that performed outright character assassination on Tony Stark, and killed his comic sales for years?

Son, you've got an interesting definition of 'best'.

Around the Network

As fan of the source materials and characters I loved it. It was two films being essentially Captain America 3 and Avengers 3 and I was fine with tonal shifts of serious political thriller and the fun Summer blockbuster and back to darker themes.