By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - March 2016 NPD Thread! Hardware and software up!

I wonder why PS3 and 360 were so close in 2015, and now 360 is crushing PS3...

I think that the lower price + PS4 succes make this possible.

Around the Network
Ryng_Tolu said:

My guess is the higher install base makes it much easier to create more 360 sales when a console bricks, or people are buying backup consoles. The install base is very close with the PS2s and at the tail end of the generation the PS2 still sold quite a bit due to replacements and backup consoles.

And of course PS4 success> XB1 success as you say.  Why buy $250 PS3 when you can buy $200 360 or $300+ XB1/PS4.

Aquamarine said:
Welfare said:
Aquamarine, if possible, could you post what the 360 and PS3 did in February 2015?

Thank you so much! I might be getting greddy now, but how about January 2016? Q1 is incomplete.

Ryng_Tolu said:

Or Sony stopped shipping PS3's to the US mid-late 2015. PS3 sold 23k in November and 29k in December, while the 360 was able to sell 72k and 139k in Nov and Dec.

Won bet with t3mporary_126 - I correctly predicted that the Wii U's LTD at the end of 2014 would be closer to 9 million than 10 million. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6673287

zorg1000 said:
Ali_16x said:

I think it's more that they're just thirsty for games.

nah, its simply a game that appeals to the Wii U audience.

besides, Zelda re-releaaes always sell well. LttP on GBA, OoT/MM on 3DS, WW/TP on Wii U. All million sellers.

No it also has a lot to do with the Wii U basically having no games most of the time. Consumers don't have inifnite money, they can only buy a certain amount of games. That's why you always see threads like which games are you going to buy this month etc, and a bunch of people saying they can only buy a few. If the Wii U had multiplats, the sales of their exclusives wouldn't be as high.

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"

JRPGfan said:
"PlayStation 4 Call of Duty: Black Ops III bundle accounted for more than 90% of all PlayStation 4 units sold in the US last month." - ZhugeEX

Whatever Sony payed for that bundle deal, was probably worth it.

I dont think PS4 sales would have collapsed without BO3 bundle... how much extra PS4 sold due to BO3 bundles is a little hard to imagine. The only criterea we can use is that if a new multiplatform shooter launch then does it sell more on PS4 in USA or not.. and has Sony managed to get a bigger chunk of shooter fan base then the competitor. 

Aquamarine said:
Welfare said:
Aquamarine, if possible, could you post what the 360 and PS3 did in February 2015?

PS3 collapse is monstrous. I wander if Sony itself pulling the plug on PS3 due to it having smaller profit margins or market/retailers are rejecting it. 

Around the Network
Ali_16x said:

If the Wii U had multiplats, the sales of their exclusives wouldn't be as high.

You can look up data for NES, SNES, GB, GBA, GC, DS, Wii, all Nintendo devices that had many 3rd party games yet Nintendo software dominated which completely proves your theory wrong.

I'm absolutely certain if The Division released on Wii U last month than Twilight Princess HD & Pokken Tournament would have still sold just as well.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Noobie said:
JRPGfan said:
"PlayStation 4 Call of Duty: Black Ops III bundle accounted for more than 90% of all PlayStation 4 units sold in the US last month." - ZhugeEX

Whatever Sony payed for that bundle deal, was probably worth it.

I dont think PS4 sales would have collapsed without BO3 bundle... how much extra PS4 sold due to BO3 bundles is a little hard to imagine. The only criterea we can use is that if a new multiplatform shooter launch then does it sell more on PS4 in USA or not.. and has Sony managed to get a bigger chunk of shooter fan base then the competitor. 

Aquamarine said:

PS3 collapse is monstrous. I wander if Sony itself pulling the plug on PS3 due to it having smaller profit margins or market/retailers are rejecting it. 

I think it's a combination of both. After Holiday 2015, Sony doesn't give a shit about anything that's not the PS4 or the PS4K or the PSVR.

If you go to major USA video game retailers....many of them no longer stock the PlayStation 3.

You can't even find PS3 consoles online anymore.

Examples:

zorg1000 said:
Ali_16x said:

If the Wii U had multiplats, the sales of their exclusives wouldn't be as high.

You can look up data for NES, SNES, GB, GBA, GC, DS, Wii, all Nintendo devices that had many 3rd party games yet Nintendo software dominated which completely proves your theory wrong.

I'm absolutely certain if The Division released on Wii U last month than Twilight Princess HD & Pokken Tournament would have still sold just as well.

Lol are you serious? Apparently what you are saying is consumers have unlimited money. Because that's the only way you can be right.

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"

RolStoppable said:
Ali_16x said:

Lol are you serious? Apparently what you are saying is consumers have unlimited money. Because that's the only way you can be right.

There's another way to be right. If money is limited, the money goes to the best games. Twilight Princess HD and Pokken are both superior to The Division, so if someone could only buy one or two of the three games, what would they be? Exactly.

In other words, in order for sales of the bestselling titles to notably decrease, there would have to be equal or superior alternatives, otherwise it doesn't matter whether there are 2 or 200 games releasing per month.

mhm... can this be true?... (looks at the sales of bayonetta 2) No, you can't be right.

Ali_16x said:
zorg1000 said:

nah, its simply a game that appeals to the Wii U audience.

besides, Zelda re-releaaes always sell well. LttP on GBA, OoT/MM on 3DS, WW/TP on Wii U. All million sellers.

No it also has a lot to do with the Wii U basically having no games most of the time. Consumers don't have inifnite money, they can only buy a certain amount of games. That's why you always see threads like which games are you going to buy this month etc, and a bunch of people saying they can only buy a few. If the Wii U had multiplats, the sales of their exclusives wouldn't be as high.

I think is funny how you say this when there are two games for Wii U in TOP TEN this month lol.

Seriusly stop here. There are a lot of bomba on Wii U, with this logic all games should sells million.