By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is gaming a bad habit, holding intelligent people back?

Gaming...

Can be a bad habit. Unproductive. 29 26.61%

Is a really productive hobby. 9 8.26%

Incredible waste of time and money. 12 11.01%

A good habit in moderation. 44 40.37%

Proof gaming is healthy &... 15 13.76%

Total:109

It's a hobby like anything else, and hobbies typically keep people out of trouble, therefore, imo, good.

Around the Network

All hobbies are a waste of time. What we make out of them could be productive, but honestly, reading books wont make me a writer, watching TV wont make me a actor, playing football wont make me a proffessional, etc etc.

That doesnt make them bad. You can meet a lot of people and make new friends. You can become smarter and grow through teamwork/independence. But, unless you put your life to them, they are a simply time wasters

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Few hobbies are productive because they are meant to be something a person can do for the simple purpose of entretainment and enjoyment. And it's not a bad habit as long as it's moderated, because thee only way gaming could hold intelligent people back is if they get addicted to the point that they do nothing else, so gaming itself is not a problem.

As long as you're enjoying yourself nothing you do is a waste of time.

I'm now filled with determination.

It got me interested in programming, which landed me a great job later.
It helps me unwind, better than drinking while watching a movie.
It keeps me fit through winter with dance and exercise games.
It lets me be creative and share that creativity with others.
It lets me play together with my kids, teach them the usefulness of working together and manage frustration.

Around the Network

If playing games are a bad habit than so are reading books and watching movies IMO.
To me, games provide a story (which is why I prefer RPGs) and entertainment. Just like books and movies. So I don't personally consider them a bad habit.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

John2290 said:
archer9234 said:

If you're gonna complain about gaming. Then typing on this site is also a waste of time. TV is a waste of time. Basically, anything short of getting food, doing stuff for your profession, and other required things, for life. Is a waste of time. Because you're basically saying fun things are bad for you. That's only fact. If you make it ruin your life.

As a recovered drug addict I must say that your perpective on this does not come close to being fact. By your logic I should just go out find my old dealer and buy mysellf some MDMA, opiates and Benzos and just have non-productive fun. Its not about the "Waste of time" nothing is a waste of time in my experience, even being comatose on Oxy, it is however a matter of self worth and how you can reflect on the time you spent versus the experience, (Which is usuually best in novel form, and gaming is quite samey) and what you have learned or can use to grow. Now what can be learned or what novel experience can playing first person shooters for thousands of hours or similar gaming patterns. I love gaming and I find fulfillment in it as long as I mix up genres and I sometimes learn from games but I'm not going to try to justify gaming as a better use of mine or anyone elses time as oppossed to creating or building something in real life. 

Huh? I don't understand you comment. I said it's only fact, if you let gaming, or anything else, that you do in excess, ruin your life. That's the only time it's actually bad. If you never hit that point, nothing is a waste of time. 

It's about the same as reading or playing a musical instrument. Useless, but you have to spend your time somehow.

Quite honestly, what does "productive" even mean? Like... making money? Making some kind of legacy your (probably non-existent) descendants will forget in a few short decades?

As far as I'm concerned, we are on this planet to live as happy lives as possible. That is the most productive thing imaginable. Video games make you happy? Then they're productive. The end.

It all depends on the person. And everything is fine in moderation :)

We aren't a fucking machine, we can't be productive all the time. Gaming is just another time to waste time while having fun, what's wrong with that?

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"