By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Windows Phone sucks ass and you should never ever get such a device

Okay, so about two weeks ago, I switched from my iPhone 5s to a Windows Phone. The iPhone was running fine, but looked like shit, everywhere broken parts and everything. I just wanted something fresh and new! But yeah, take a good look at them Apple prices. Anything beloe 600 € isn't an option. So here I go, wanting to save some money! I went to my local retailer and took a good look at some other phones with Android and Windows Phone. Long story short, in the end I got a Lumia 640 Dual Sim, because the Internet said it's good and cheap.

I was well aware that there aren't too many apps on Windows phone, but that isn't a problem for me, as I'm not an app guy. I didn't install any new app on my iPhone in the last 6 months or so. So I don't need all dat fancy new apps stuff. But oh boy, Windows Phone still sucks so hard, it blows my mind! How can a mobile OS be so HORRIBLE?! 

From the very first day, I had problems like there's no tomorrow. First of all, I tried logging in with my Microsoft ID. Ok, so I put all the data in, enter my password and... "It looks like somebody else might be using your account". Sorry, what? The damn thing wouldn't let me login! Instead, I got a friggin form to fill out with all kinds of information. Like information about local contacts or subjects of my last sent e-mails - for fucks sake, like anyone is actually using their Microsoft account for e-Mails! I mean, come on! So I entered everything and, surprise sursprise, it wouldn't let me get any further. Ok, great, so I had to call the customer service to send me a security code. After HOURS I was finally able to login. Great, just great.

Allright, it ain't to bad, it's working in the end, doesn't it? So let's set this fucker up real quick. Or at least try to. Those settings in Windows Phone! They are a pain in the ass! It's all so overblown and you have to search and search for certain things. I did find everything I needed eventually, but it took me ages! Never had such problem an an iPhone. Let's face it, iPhones are made for idiots. Everyone gets along with them just fine, you're searching for something and it's in 99 % of all cases exactly where you think it should be. Not so much on Windows Phone. Google is your friend. It gets frustrating at times.

But anyway, once everything is set up, I won't need them settings anymore, right? Ok, so let's look at the advantages. Micro SD! I looked very much forward to that. Only had 16 GB on my iPhone. With 8 GB of iTunes music, there's not too much space left for anything else. I got a 64 GB card for my shiny new Windows Phone right away, so let's fill that shit up. Let me just connect my Windows Phone to my Mac and... what's that? Why isn't the thing showing up in my finder? Where is it? Turns out there is no support for mass storage. Why? And it gets worse. There is no support WHATSOEVER for Windows Phones on Macs! Microsoft doesn't give a shit! I mean, come on! I can connect my iPhone just fine with a Windows PC. So why can't I connect a Windows Phone with a Mac? That's bullshit! A quick Google search and I found out that there is an old software which was intended for use with Windows Phone 7 - so it's really really old. You have to put in some libs by yourself and it might just work - or not. Gosh. I decides to screw dat and just put in the SD card right away. Well, guess what. You have to remove the friggin' battery to get your SD card out! Reminds me of glorious N-Gage days. That's not how you do it in the year 2016, Microsoft! It really isn't. =/

In the end, I got all my stuff on that SD card. Power back on that Windows phone and now it's time to charge that sucker up! But what's that? It takes AGES to charge the phone up! I'm not exaggerating, it took the damn thing 6 HOURS to get fully loaded! And that's when it's hooked up to a wall plug. With USB on my MacBook it takes EVEN LONGER. That's just insane! Seriously, what were they thinking? My iPhone 5s takes 1,5 hours for a full charge. Just why? Why, Microsoft? Why?

It doesn't end here. The other day I was wandering around in the middle of the night in my appartment. In such cases, I love to use the flashlight in my phone. So, let's do that with my brand new windows phone! Ok, where's the flashlight? Seriously, where is it? I know the hardware is there, I can see it, right there next to the camera. So, where do I turn it on? Well, guess where - NO-FUCKING-WHERE! There's just no option for that for whatever reason. You have to get an app from the Windows store for that. An app with ads. But that's not the worst thing about it. If you have the flashlight turned on and leave the app for some browsing or stuff, it deactivates itself. While you use your Windows Phone as a flashlight, you can't use it for anything else! Why would anyone in their right mind design a phone like that? What is this, 2004? 

At this point, I was already turned off real hard by that phone, but I decided to just roll with it. But well, Windows Phone doesn't dtop to disappoint me! I'm travelling very VERY often, so I use my cellular internet all the time. My phone needs to be reliable in that way. Turns out Windows Phone isn't. Every few minutes, it just loses the connection completely. It still says "H+" or something like that on the display, but I can't open a website or anything with my hooked up Mac. Look, I get it can't be as easy as with my iPhone. I don't need to set anything up there. Just click on that wireless symbol, choose your iPhone and you're good to go, no need for any settings. But after I connected my Windows Phone manually, it at the very least should provide me with a stable connection. But fuck me, right? Wireless is unstable anyway! So let's go with USB Tethering instead! Yeah, with a good old cable, surely there won't be any problems. OK, so where's USB Tethering? Where is it, theres Bluetooth, there's WLAN and... that's it. No friggin USB Tethering. Just why? Please, someone explain it to me, why can't I use USB Tethering?! It blows my mind! And it doesn't stop here! It just gets better and better! Turns out those connection problems not only happen with a connected computer - the phone itself every few minutes refuses to work correctly with the internet! You're out of luck for 2-3 minutes, no internet whatsoever, and then you can use it for another 2-3 minutes. It doesn't have anything to do with the connection itself, as it happens everywhere, even when I have a full signal. That has to be the very definition of a pain in the ass! 

Aaaaand just when you think it can't possibly get any worse, a Windows Phone will continue to annoy the living crap out of you! Just yesterday, I woke up and got my windows phone to get me some news while smoking my good mornin' cigarette. It's all fine and dandy, I'll get used to it. But wait, what's that? What's that right there? Is that dirt? A hair? Away with that! Except it doesn't go away. I took a closer look and what I found was a fucking crack all over the screen. A crack! I treated the device real good, because I didn't want it to look as bad as my iPhone. I got myself a cover, I didn't give it to my son like I did with my iPhone and it never once fell to the ground. Still, there's this crack right now. Where does it come from? I have that stupid phone for like two weeks and it's already fucked! In the two years I treated my iPhone like shit, something like that never happened! My iPhone fell to the ground countless times, it was driven over by a car, it got chewed on by my very young son back in the days and it's all fine and dandy. Sure, there are parts broken out and stuff, but the screen itself is perfectly fine, no visible scratches whatsoever. So here I have my Windows Phone which manages to get a crack over the screen while being treated nicely after mere days! 

That was the point when I aborted my mission Windows Phone. The device itself as well as the software are so unbelievably bad that I can't even find the words to properly describe this clusterfuck of a mobile OS. No matter what you want to do, it will always get on your nerves. Even worse when you like to use many apps. I got my SIM card out and put it back in my iPhone 5s and I will never look back. Never again will I believe all those people saying Apple is overpriced and that cheap Android and Windows Phones do the same job. They really don't. Screw saving money, I will get an iPhone 6s or SE. I've had enough of it.

Microsoft, please stop making phones forever. Thank you.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network

I have a Windows Phone since 5 Years and I never had one Problem with it :)

Edit: You should go back to your overpriced last gen tech Apple iPhones ;)

I switched to a Sony Z3 from an iPhone, the hardware was good but the Android OS just wasn't quite there, so I switched back ASAP.

I noticed at the time I think android phones with expandable storage had quite low internal storages which is what the micro sd port was for - so I put all my music on the card and put it in the phone and the phone was like oh you put the music in the correct music folder? well every song of every album is going to have its album art picture put in your pictures library.

Also you boot the phone and there is at least a single duplicate app for every function as you have the base OS apps then whatever the manufacturer of the HW as thrown on

Want the new and released OS update? too bad. Wait for us to announce if you get it, then a date if you are lucky to get one.

The extra benefit of Android would have appealed to me as a kid with being able to run emulators and change xyz, but now I just want specific stuff with a minimalist look - I even find the design of app badges and spacing to be a bit off for me

IOS isn't perfect, but it just feels more polished - I now know if I ever try Android again to get a phone running stock at least. 

I cannot wait for the update to IOS that bring that ability to hide or remove stock apps, but apparently it is coming.

I guess switching from OS (ios) always hurts at some point. Especially coming from an Iphone. Those devices have a way of making you feel stupid afterwards.

I agree though, I once owned a Lumia... good times.

Can confirm everything. I switched from Oneplus one to a 950XL 2 months ago, and the OS is creepy, Edge consumes more data than Chrome, and has a lot of problem, the most frustrating is that sometime it can't call up the keyboards. Ah, and consumes a lot of battery. The feature "Ehi Cortana" works once and three no. There's a lack of app embarassing and the app that are present on the store are bugged, even the most important such as Facebook or Instagram ecc... Outlook compared to gmail is old and not practical. And i can continue for a lot. Windows phone are 3/4 years step back.

Around the Network

I switched from a windows phone to a android one...
Im never getting a windows phone again.

Im a android guy now.

Android all the way, MS should stick to computers only.

Sony phones are pretty good. Had one for three years, no problems. It started running a bit slow though, which is why is recently switched to the Z5 and it is really awesome.

My work provided me with an iPhone, and while it runs without problems, all the "why is this not here" moments you had when switching to Windows occurs when i use the iPhone. Compared to Sony and Android, iPhone is so basic and extremely barebones.

EDIT: how do I delete this accidental post?

akuseru said:
Sony phones are pretty good. Had one for three years, no problems. It started running a bit slow though, which is why is recently switched to the Z5 and it is really awesome.

My work provided me with an iPhone, and while it runs without problems, all the "why is this not here" moments you had when switching to Windows occurs when i use the iPhone. Compared to Sony and Android, iPhone is so basic and extremely barebones.

What is missing on IOS compared to Android which you use? 

Just curious.