By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have you ever been addicted to a game you didn't expect to enjoy so much?

hatmoza said:

I was one of the very few people on this website expressing how it was more than just a sex stunt... Fuck that was 5 years ago.

What happened to y(our) Erica avatar?

Around the Network

Assassin's Creed II: Bought this game because my PC couldn't handle GTA IV at the time and I wanted a good open-world sandbox game. Came across this game on an internet list ranking the bet open-world cities, with Venice somewhere in the list. Then read some reviews and bought it, still not knowing what to expect. Turns out, after some initial problems I had with UPlay it had a quite a lore, played it more and started to get the hang of things, started liking it more and more and then the story unexpectedly twisted from a happy family to betrayal, and things just leaped up from there.

The more I played it, the more I loved it. And then I unlocked Venice, my god what a breathtaking moment it was. It dazzled me the first time I stepped out from the ship with its glimmering canals and beautiful architecture. And it was only going up from there, till the finale, one of the best missions in any open-world game I've played. AC II is now among my favourite games of all time, which I played only due to my PC not being able to play GTA IV at the time. Thanks Rockstar, you did it again!

Killzone 2: I was not a fan of FPS games, and I hadn't heard great things about the Killzone series. Killzone 2 was on a huge discount so I decided to try it. The moment I started the game I was blown away with the intro CGI, then the in-game graphics blew me away and the solid gameplay mechanics, fantastic AI and great level design kept me hooked. To this day it remains one of my favourite FPS games. Killzone 3 is better, but I expected it to be good after playing Killzone 2. But I didn't expect this one to be so good.

NFS: Hot Pursuit: I love open-world racing games, thanks Bunouts Paradise and NFS: MW. I couldn't care less about circuit racers like NFS Underground. So I wasn't expecting much when I bought this game for a discount. I bought it due to some of the internet love and the great reviews it had, but I couldn't really believe them. But when I played it? Completely. Blown. Away. The core racing mechanics were incredibly solid to boot, the graphics were beautiful and the option of playing as either racer or cop was a fantastic idea that unbelievably translated even better in actual gameplay. The tools at your hand never feel overwhelmingly powerful or too weak, nor were there too many or too little of them. The difficulty was spot on, and while the game was hard it did a great job at never feeling cheap, thanks to the mechanics, physics and AI, when you lost it felt like it was your lack of skill rather than the game throwing insurmountable odds at you, and I've lost a lot, but enjoyed even when I did. The soundtrack was just incredible and complementred and enhanced all those intense gameplay moments perfectly. What an amazing game.

Wright said:
hatmoza said:

I was one of the very few people on this website expressing how it was more than just a sex stunt... Fuck that was 5 years ago.

What happened to y(our) Erica avatar?

somewhere on my facebook.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

SvennoJ said:
V-r0cK said:
Ni No Kuni - Thought it was just going to be a decent anime JRPG but everything became so captivating that I played the hell out of it and platinumed it.

Catherine - Making puzzle game in a whole new level never thought possible. Also platinumed this because it just got too addicting.

I spend at least as much time on the arcade machine in the bar as the main game, maybe more. Really fun puzzles!

I remember that arcade machine! Man that was a fun mini game!

Destiny and after all this time I am still going back to it. Not as much as before but certainly once or twice a week.

Around the Network

CSGO

Yes, Xenoblade Chronicles. I just wanted to see how good the graphics are and expected an mediocre to average JRPG not worth playing. And right after the intro I realized that this is one of the best AAA games ever made. I quit playing games since the PS2 / Gamecube area but this game brought me back to gaming.

Red Dead Redemption.
I like watching other peoole play GTA but when playing for myself it feels uninteresting. Then RDR comes and I got lost in that world. One of very few open world games that I completed.
Now waiting for the announcement of the next RDR.

Also played Pokémon Shuffle for almost a year and I have never played anything pokémon before.

Halo Wars. I thought it was going to be bad because it was on consoles. One of the best games ever.