By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What math have you learned?

Serious_frusting said:
Sixteenvolt420 said:

Well, apparently in some countries the correct plural is math, and in others, it is maths. Google it. I've always known the plural as math, personally.

i never said it was wrong. Seems right really. Math, Science, English. I just never heard anyone in real life say Math. Its always Matchs. Like

I'm going to Maths class. Or like "are you doing Maths today".

Maybe it just has to do with how old somebody is. I'm 38, and i've never heard it referred to as maths, until today. It was always math class.

Around the Network
Sixteenvolt420 said:
Serious_frusting said:

i never said it was wrong. Seems right really. Math, Science, English. I just never heard anyone in real life say Math. Its always Matchs. Like

I'm going to Maths class. Or like "are you doing Maths today".

Maybe it just has to do with how old somebody is. I'm 38, and i've never heard it referred to as maths, until today. It was always math class.

I think its probably to do with me living in England and you America. Same language but many differences.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Sixteenvolt420 said:
Serious_frusting said:
Always seems strange when I see maths called math. Just makes me cringe.

To answer your question I went as far as A-Level maths. I also did statistics to GCSE level

Well, apparently in some countries the correct plural is math, and in others, it is maths. Google it. I've always known the plural as math, personally.

Actually both abbreviations are accepted in most, if not all, english speaking countries.

Serious_frusting said:
Sixteenvolt420 said:

I think its probably to do with me living in England and you America. Same language but many differences.

Yeah, there are definitely many differences, in the english that we speak.

I studied physics, so i needed to learn much math. In first year algebra, geometry, trigonometry, calculus (single variable), calculus(multivariable), analytic geometry, linear algebra, ordinary differential equations, partial differential equations, methods of approximation, probability and statistics.
And all of that we learnt in first year. The "pain in the ass" was in 2nd year at quantum mechanics and theoretical mechanics.

Around the Network

I'm studying Pure Maths @ Sixth Form. Right now I've just finished Integration.

So far it's a subject which rewards you according to your effort :P.

So far the best - and only- book I've used is The Core course for A-Level by L.Bostock and S.Chandler.

I'm still undecided on what I want to do at University, though I would like to teach Physics as a job.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

High school math up to 20-1.

I'm getting an MA in Literature, so Math definitely isn't my strongest suit. I did, however, receive A's in my required Math classes in college, so I think I'm okay at it. For years, i thought that it was my weakest subject, but it turns out that had more to do with having to attempt it at 7 a.m. in High School rather than any actual weakness with the material. I even thought about Minoring in Astronomy, but didn't quite feel I was up to that level of proficiency yet (I chose History instead). 

its been 10 year since I last took a maths class and all I can say the only one that matters is how to cunt money lol.

Nothing special, just Algebra from Grade 9 to 12, ending on Functions. Then I took Statistics in my first two years of university. Math is not really by calling but I don't mind it when I have to use it for my projects.