By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Playstation owners! Would you "upgrade" to the PS4K? X1 & U owners, would you?

I am.

A PS4 owner and will upgrade! 200 28.78%

Waiting on buying a PS4 b... 43 6.19%

X1 owner, I'm gonna migrate on PS4k release! 4 0.58%

Wii U owner and will migrate on ps4k release. 9 1.29%

Multi console/pc owner and will buy. 20 2.88%

Multi console owner, won't buy 87 12.52%

Wii U owner, won't buy. 69 9.93%

X1 owner, won't buy. 54 7.77%

Ps4 owner, won't buy 171 24.60%

Other,...please comment. 38 5.47%

Total:695

Probably not. I rather wait for the PS5 in 3 to 5 years or simply use the extra money to buy a second console (NX maybe) so I could play its exclusives.

Of course, if Sony screws current PS4 owners, them I wouldn't buy the PS4K or even the PS5, but I'm not counting on it since it would be a bit suicidal for them.

Around the Network
ReimTime said:
Mildly exaggerated post ahead
Current PS4 owner.
Won't upgrade. I've owned it for less than a year. Anyone planning to trade in their PS4 will get minimal return because everyone else will have the same idea.
I despise the complete upgrade model, like in smartphones (where you have to replace the whole thing and not just a component).
I spent $500 on my PS4 already! Now the $650 VR and another $500 console will be on the market? The only thing Sony will get from me is a spoon, so they can eat my ass.
Yes I know that it's "my opinion" and I "don't have to buy it". Well I won't be buying it. I like my long generations that validate my purchase. I don't like it when the Facebook app crashes every 5 minutes on my 3 year old smartphone because it is optimized for the newest devices. If this rumor turns out to be true and they get any closer to the smartphone model then I will quit video games and revert to throwing rocks at signs for entertainment I swear to Buddha.

Jesus, dude. Tell us how you really feel.

If current games utilise it and run better, then yes. But apart from that, is this PS4K anything but a rumour at the moment?

March 25th report. Tentative $400 MSRP. Assuming the source is Kotaku.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f1xmoz99tU

Assuming it's a 'proper' hardware upgrade, whether i buy it or not will depend on how they approach it. If the current PS4's technical standards remain consistent, and the new PS4 is purely a fully optional visual bump (with perhaps some exclusive PSVR titles, but little else locked away from the original), then sure, i could see myself picking one up. Certainly not right now, but eventually.

If, however, we do see a drop in the current PS4's standards, and it is lathered with traditional exclusive titles, then no, i won't be buying it. While i could half-heartedly support a mid-gen console upgrade that simply gives consumers more choice, i have no interest in supporting something that's existence punishes those not willing to throw more money at it.

Around the Network

No, the playstation brand does not interest me, im not sure ill even buy an NX, more interested in buying an older console.

Absolutely not, I have a PC and nothing currently makes me want a PS4 except Uncharted 4 so I definitely wouldn't want a PS4k...

There is a enthusiast part of the console community that want better performance, this should address their needs and not have them change platforms to pc. The population with 4K tv's is growing and they will want to be able to view 4K content, PS4K will be a great 4K bluray player that also doubles as a console/netflix player to these people.

I don't have a 4K tv yet but I'd buy the new PS4 if games had better frames and were downsampled from a higher res so they looked even better than native 1080p. The new console is apparently also slimmer and I've always bought the Slim models.

I just love to buy new consoles lol, WiiU and Xbone were the only exception due to weak hardware and software at launch.

John2290 said:
Turkish said:

There is a enthusiast part of the console community that want better performance, this should address their needs and not have them change platforms to pc. The population with 4K tv's is growing and they will want to be able to view 4K content, PS4K will be a great 4K bluray player that also doubles as a console/netflix player to these people.

I don't have a 4K tv yet but I'd buy the new PS4 if games had better frames and were downsampled from a higher res so they looked even better than native 1080p. 
I just love to buy new consoles lol, WiiU and Xbone were the only exception due to weak hardware and software at launch.

Exactly this. Where did you get this from though "The new console is apparently also slimmer and I've always bought the Slim models." , I thought everything was up in the air, just rumors and what not.

The leaker on Gaf said the gpu is twice as powerful while being much smaller, it leads me to believe the console overall will be smaller.

My primary gaming platform would change just to make a point. I want a full leap forward or nothing at all. I will not support buying the same console twice just to get a few exclusive games before the inevitable upgrade.(looking at you 3DS...and as a matter of fact PS4/3 and X1/360 if this does indeed happen).

I really hope this does not become a trend, which is one reason I am looking forward to NX being a new concept instead of a mid gen upgrade. The upgrade ports they mention has me curious as well. If they we could upgrade the consoles gradually throughout the gen in some way, I would not be against that.

But buying a slightly stronger version of the same thing? Forget it.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261