By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most disappointing game so far this year?

97alexk said:

ok i admit. I was really excited for Pokken, i kinda became dissapointed, not alot i still kinda enjoy it, but ehh could be much better

I found it to be like Splatoon. New IP(well, Pokken is technically new), content isn't expected to be as high as people want.

I'm expecting the next Splatoon and Pokken games to have more content(that is, if Nintendo chooses to make multiple Pokken games).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Around the Network
Cloudman said:
MTZehvor said:

Depends. I thought Fates was far weaker in the story department and had some highs and lows in terms of gameplay changes.

While I do think at least BR was a bit weak story wise, I don't think it was worse than Awakening. I thought Awakening was pretty bad and easily the worst part of the game. That and Chrom as well. Weakest lord in the series : /

And I thought the gameplay changes were a nice needed change. Allowing enemies to pair up sure evened the playing field, and needing to use dragon vein to aid you, and give challenges was nice as well.

I probably differ a bit from the FE fanbase consensus here, but I actually preferred Awakening's three part plot to having one larger plot spread throughout the entire game. I won't deny that Chrom's a bit weaker than other lords, but I don't think he's the worst, and I'd argue Lucina is quite possibly the strongest from a character development standpoint, so it makes up for it.

No, for me, what turned me off Fates' story was Conquest more than anything. Corrin is utterly convinced that Garon is evil, but yet is still willing to invade an entirely peaceful country just so he can be shown as a demon to the rest of the Nohrian siblings. The repeated argument throughout the narrative is that "this is the only way to bring peace" to the world, but when allying with Hoshido is still on the table, the whole striving for peace thing feels really unauthentic, especially considering the atrocities that Corrin puts up while he/she's taking orders. I feel like Conquest tries so hard to present a complex moral dilemma that it forgets about makings its entire premesis believable at the start, and as a result we spend the entire game beating ourselves up over whether it's right to become a villain if it will end up doing good when there's an equally and probably even more viable alternative for doing likely even more good that we just kind of ignore the whole time. I wind up preferring the simpler narratives of Awakening and Birthright if for no other reason than they're just far more believable and Corrin looks like less of an idiot.

I do think some of the gameplay changes are nice; not a huge fan of the dragon veins outside of a couple levels in Conquest, but I do like enemy pair ups. At the same time, though, I'm not a huge fan of basically half the magic based weapons in the game being taken out and replaced by Hoshidan versions of the same weapons with slightly different status effects. So there's pluses and minuses on both sides.

d21lewis said:

Deleting all your text here coz why not

HOW DARE YOU QUOTE ME TWICE RATHER THAN JUST EDIT!!!!

Anyway I get where you are coming from with your legitimate complaints but the most common complaints where oobvious months in advance and people still bought it and complained. Its like Splatoon all over again and look how that turned out. If the content wasnt there at launch for you and you dont like the free updates over time then your best bet waas to purchase it later. If you had issue with the gameplay then I can totslly understand why you would be disapointed, even if you are wrong

hershel_layton said:
97alexk said:

ok i admit. I was really excited for Pokken, i kinda became dissapointed, not alot i still kinda enjoy it, but ehh could be much better

I found it to be like Splatoon. New IP(well, Pokken is technically new), content isn't expected to be as high as people want.

I'm expecting the next Splatoon and Pokken games to have more content(that is, if Nintendo chooses to make multiple Pokken games).

Splatoon got a lot more free content and is still getting new n free content, so they're not really similar. The only additional content Pokken could get is paid DLC, which does nothing to help the initial $60 investment.

Einsam_Delphin said:
hershel_layton said:

Splatoon got a lot more free content and is still getting new n free content, so they're not really similar. The only additional content Pokken could get is paid DLC, which does nothing to help the initial $60 investment.

Only similarity is that they're both new. That's about it.

I'm expecting Splatoon to follow Mario Kart's track. Start with a good amount of content, with extra stuff added as DLC for low prices.

As for Pokken, they'll probably add more pokemon. I think this was to see whether the game would be popular or not.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Around the Network

I've only played two games from 2016 - Pokken and Day of the Tentacle Remastered - and both are brilliant, so I've been lucky.

However, I'm more than a little worried about some upcoming games, including but not limited to Star Fox Zero, Quantum Break, and Umbrella Corps.

MTZehvor said:
Cloudman said:

While I do think at least BR was a bit weak story wise, I don't think it was worse than Awakening. I thought Awakening was pretty bad and easily the worst part of the game. That and Chrom as well. Weakest lord in the series : /

And I thought the gameplay changes were a nice needed change. Allowing enemies to pair up sure evened the playing field, and needing to use dragon vein to aid you, and give challenges was nice as well.

I probably differ a bit from the FE fanbase consensus here, but I actually preferred Awakening's three part plot to having one larger plot spread throughout the entire game. I won't deny that Chrom's a bit weaker than other lords, but I don't think he's the worst, and I'd argue Lucina is quite possibly the strongest from a character development standpoint, so it makes up for it.

No, for me, what turned me off Fates' story was Conquest more than anything. Corrin is utterly convinced that Garon is evil, but yet is still willing to invade an entirely peaceful country just so he can be shown as a demon to the rest of the Nohrian siblings. The repeated argument throughout the narrative is that "this is the only way to bring peace" to the world, but when allying with Hoshido is still on the table, the whole striving for peace thing feels really unauthentic, especially considering the atrocities that Corrin puts up while he/she's taking orders. I feel like Conquest tries so hard to present a complex moral dilemma that it forgets about makings its entire premesis believable at the start, and as a result we spend the entire game beating ourselves up over whether it's right to become a villain if it will end up doing good when there's an equally and probably even more viable alternative for doing likely even more good that we just kind of ignore the whole time. I wind up preferring the simpler narratives of Awakening and Birthright if for no other reason than they're just far more believable and Corrin looks like less of an idiot.

I do think some of the gameplay changes are nice; not a huge fan of the dragon veins outside of a couple levels in Conquest, but I do like enemy pair ups. At the same time, though, I'm not a huge fan of basically half the magic based weapons in the game being taken out and replaced by Hoshidan versions of the same weapons with slightly different status effects. So there's pluses and minuses on both sides.

That's fair enough on Awakening on story and the lords. Despite my issues with the game, I still found Awakening to be very enjoyable and ranked higher among the other FE games.

As for Conquest, I haven't played a lot of it, but I do have my share of issues of it as well. I also don't like how Corrin is being handled in it. I could go further, but I'd rather keep it spoiler free. It may change later, but as of now, I don't know everything about Conquest yet.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread