By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - David Hayter on working on Metal Gear :(

Tagged games:

pokoko said:
Goatseye said:

Motion capture can be done by anyone. Cole Train on Gears:UE was mocaped by a different actor but the voice remained Lester Speight's.

Why would they pay two actors when they can get a great actor to do both?

Maybe Lester wasn't available. And the voice was already there; also, it could've been that the new guy is cheaper to mocap than Lester Speight.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
arcaneguyver said:
Well, played out just as I thought. Perhaps Kojima deserved some of the Konami dick action after dicking Hayter over.

He literally said he doesn't know Kojima and didn't work with him. The only thing that spurs what he is saying is that Kojima wanted someone else.

People get replaced all the time, including voice actors and new characters. Perhaps Kojima thought that really any actor would be really popular for playing the role, and to be honest, he's kinda right.

That's not a reason to be a hairy ball sack to a person that did an outstanding job as a VA on MG series and a fan favorite.

Make him recast for MGS3 and ask if Kurt Russel with no VA experience to replace him? Have a bit of respect for someone's work.

Well... i don't know exactly what happened but i do know Hayter is the one and only Snake for me. I didn't play the MGSV's either. Just simply not interested.

"but I’m not going to cry about it.”, lulz that's all he's been doing.

Smart plans:

1. Sony, Microsoft, and every other company bullies Kojima and bullies them to the ground. Make sure they reach hell.

2. Take all rights from Metal Gear Solid.

3. PUT HIM BACK IN SMASH.

4. Play smash together, and let World War III be on Smash(instead of real life).

Smart idea, right?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Around the Network
Goatseye said:
pokoko said:

Why would they pay two actors when they can get a great actor to do both?

Maybe Lester wasn't available. And the voice was already there; also, it could've been that the new guy is cheaper to mocap than Lester Speight.

I don't know anything about that but there is no reason for Kojima to pay two guys when he'd prefer to have the same guy do both so the voice work and expressions can match perfectly and he can get a top notch actor to boot.

The whole thing is kind of silly, to be honest.  It's a business.  No one has a life-time contract to play the same role forever.  Kojima wanted someone else so he went out and got someone who did an excellent job.  Period, end of story.  Professionals should be professional.

I love the original Metal Gear Solid, it's the best game in the whole series and Hayters voice made me love Snake even more. However, voice acting is just a small part of this franchise MGS5 got perfect scores without Hayters inclusion so that shows that it's the gameplay and story that really matter and what really got me hooked on the series so i never went crazy or worried over Snake losing his original voice.

I mean yeah, it's sucks for Hayter losing his role, being the iconic voice actor of Snake and all but he really needs to man up and just accept that this is how things go in this industry. All he did before and after the release of MGS5 was bitch and whine how he lost his role, like c'mon are you a professional voice actor or what? Dont we get a different actor for Batman and James Bond all the time? Well, same things happen in videogames.

Kojima knows what he does, even if he can be a dick sometimes it still is/was his game, and he made a fantastic game once again.

BTW Naked Snake really should have gotten a different voice actor than Hayter, good thing Kojima finally stepped in.

Goatseye said:
theprof00 said:

He literally said he doesn't know Kojima and didn't work with him. The only thing that spurs what he is saying is that Kojima wanted someone else.

People get replaced all the time, including voice actors and new characters. Perhaps Kojima thought that really any actor would be really popular for playing the role, and to be honest, he's kinda right.

That's not a reason to be a hairy ball sack to a person that did an outstanding job as a VA on MG series and a fan favorite.

Make him recast for MGS3 and ask if Kurt Russel with no VA experience to replace him? Have a bit of respect for someone's work.

Who was a hairy ballsack though? David never went into details about what happened, jsut that it could have been more professional.

Kojima doesn't speak English. He doesn't even know how David sounds as Snake. All he knows is what he's heard from 80's movies. It's like when I watch anime, I have no idea if these voice actors are good or not. I have no concept of the language or tone or anythig like that. I can pick up a bad English actor in a heartbeat, but any other language will stump me. Same goes for whether or not the voice sounds good.

Just because Hayter won an award or was well liked doesn't mean Kojima had any real knowledge of the guy's actual talent or popularity.

My thinking would be, Kojima wanted a big name actor. The series is based off of a character Kurt Russel played. He wanted Kurt Russel, but had to settle for Hayter. Hayter did really well and Kojima was like, look this is my last game Konami, can I please just have the actor that I pick? I doubt any words were even exchanged between the two. It's more likely that the Sound Director made the call and handled it poorly himself.

theprof00 said:

Who was a hairy ballsack though? David never went into details about what happened, jsut that it could have been more professional.

Kojima doesn't speak English. He doesn't even know how David sounds as Snake. All he knows is what he's heard from 80's movies. It's like when I watch anime, I have no idea if these voice actors are good or not. I have no concept of the language or tone or anythig like that. I can pick up a bad English actor in a heartbeat, but any other language will stump me. Same goes for whether or not the voice sounds good.

Just because Hayter won an award or was well liked doesn't mean Kojima had any real knowledge of the guy's actual talent or popularity.

My thinking would be, Kojima wanted a big name actor. The series is based off of a character Kurt Russel played. He wanted Kurt Russel, but had to settle for Hayter. Hayter did really well and Kojima was like, look this is my last game Konami, can I please just have the actor that I pick? I doubt any words were even exchanged between the two. It's more likely that the Sound Director made the call and handled it poorly himself.

"I wanted Snake to have a more subdued performance expressed through subtle facial movements and tone of voice rather than words," Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima said. "Furthermore, the game takes place in 1984 when Snake is 49 years old. Therefore, we needed someone who could genuinely convey both the facial and vocal qualities of a man in his late 40s. It's different from anything we've done before."  http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/06/kiefer-sutherland-playing-snake-in-metal-gear-solid-v

It sounds to me like Kojima really wanted a top notch in-front-of-the-camera actor because he was placing a lot of emphasis on facial expressions and motion capture.  I think that's perfectly valid.  He certainly didn't owe Hayter the job.  Business is business and actors get replaced all the time when creative wants something different.  People acting like this was some kind of personal insult makes no sense to me.  Kojima brought in someone new because he thought it would improve the game.  That was his job, to make the best game he could, not to placate voice actors.

Hideo Kojima have gone and fu*ked it up. To be honest, Snake/Big Boss in MGS5 hardly spoke, and when he did it felt awkward and boring.

that was some real underhanded shit. it's the way he did it. Really unprofessional.

#FucKojima

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5