By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Director of Ten Cloverfield Lane talks about inspiration from Uncharted

spemanig said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

No problem with that. It's good that a director of cinema understands that a particular game is closing the gap between cinema and gaming though. The definition of a blockbuster experience. :)

It is good that the franchise is recognised by the appropriate people for its achievements, even if I disagree with striving for a cinematic achievement in an interactive medium. Uncharted definitely deserves that recognition.

Your opinion is understandable, which means there must be alternatives that you believe deserve the credit. Uncharted is a mixture of many different successful techniques which were inspired from known and lesser known games. Metal Gear Solid set the standard for one generation and Uncharted is doing it for another. I believe Neil Druckmann is going to be the next Kojima.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Your opinion is understandable, which means there must be alternatives that you believe deserve the credit. Uncharted is a mixture of many different successful techniques which were inspired from known and lesser known games. Metal Gear Solid set the standard for one generation and Uncharted is doing it for another. I believe Neil Druckmann is going to be the next Kojima.

I'd argue that Resi4 set that standard, not Uncharted.

I don't think Neil will ever be at Kojima's level of legacy. What Kojima did for gaming was more than just cinematic storytelling. None of the Uncharted games have had that kind of impact game design wise. They just popularized a specific style of action adventure game. Which is big obviously, Tomb Raider wouldn't have been rebooted the way it was without Uncharted, but it's nothing on something like Psychomantis or the entire premise behind MGS2, which actually took advantage of the fact that those kinds of experiences can't be replicated in any other medium but video games.

spemanig said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I'd argue that Resi4 set that standard, not Uncharted.

I don't think Neil will ever be at Kojima's level of legacy. What Kojima did for gaming was more than just cinematic storytelling. None of the Uncharted games have had that kind of impact game design wise. They just popularized a specific style of action adventure game. Which is big obviously, Tomb Raider wouldn't have been rebooted the way it was without Uncharted, but it's nothing on something like Psychomantis or the entire premise behind MGS2, which actually took advantage of the fact that those kinds of experiences can't be replicated in any other medium but video games.

RE4 set a great standard, but Resident Evil after RE4 has not been able to get on the level of where Uncharted is today.  In a way they have passed the torch with their inspiration. Trust me...they tried to revive themselves RE6 (probably the worst one of them all). RE5 turned into an arcade game and that was fun to play with my friend but six was just not great at all. I agree that they set great standards and are a huge influence uncharted much like Killswitch and other games, but Uncharted and Gears were two ground breaking games that set their own standards. One set the standard for Action/cinematics as well as third person verticality and the other set the standard for what cliff bleszinski likes to call stop and pop third person shooting. Both games had great ideas that were going to be dealt with on limited hardware, but their sequels are striving to set new standards. 

Neil Druckmanns career as a top tier developer is only beginning. All he needs to do is create a legacy worth remembering. He can do it, just like we all believed in Kojima.