By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Virtual Console is in dire need of change

Tagged games:

Mike321 said:

They definitely need to improve the VC, specially the selection of games and platforms, and make all games available on all regions (XC is on the european e-shop but not on NA)

That is only because NoA hates their customers ;-P

Or they are salty because of operation Rainfall?

Platforms: Wii U, New 3DS, PS4, PC

currently playing: 
 -Yoshi's Wooly World 
 -Pokemon X
 -Fire Emblem Fates 

Zone: Europe (Germany)

Around the Network

Some of the post powerful computers today struggle to run the Dolfin emulator flawlessly. Emulation is way more hardware intensive than you're implying.

But yeah, the VC sucks. Nintendo are going to have a seriously terrible time clearing up that mess on the NX. It's not going to get much better, though. Outside of having all your games shared between the NX and NXDS, it's going to be largely the same. Not much they can do there.

MohammadBadir said:
burninmylight said:
Is there a an accurate (i.e. no slowdown, no lag, perfect audio and color palette) SNES and/or GBA emulator out there for the 3DS?

Until someone shows me one, I'm going to take Nintendo's word for why the 3DS doesn't have those games. However, the thing that I think Nintendo deserves the most backlash on is these mid-generation console revisions that only serve to split the market and make dumbasses like me waste more cash on a miniscule set of extra features and games: RAM pack on N64, Wiimote+, DSi, New 3DS.

I'm tired of it. Just make the damn 3DS strong enough to handle SNES and GBA emulation from the get-go. The original 3DS should have been made with that in mind.

Here's (Original) DS footage. Do you really believe that the DS could run a SNES emulator but the 3DS couldn't? Also we're comparing a few hackers to Nintendo...

I find it as hard to believe that the 3DS can't run SNES and GBA games as anyone else. To play devil's advocate once again however, was the emulator in this video running the OS in the background, as well as Miiverse, Streetpass functionality, save states, suspend/sleep mode and anything else I'm forgetting? I'm at work so I couldn't listen to the audio, but was this emulator running strictly the game and nothing else like gaming pre-2000? Furthermore, was the emulation up to the standards Nintendo would want to achieve, and could it be achieved on a multitude of games?

And given the crazy shit I hear hackers doing all the time these days, I have no problem comparing them to Nintendo. Exhibit A: The video you just showed me.

spemanig said:
Some of the post powerful computers today struggle to run the Dolfin emulator flawlessly. Emulation is way more hardware intensive than you're implying.

But yeah, the VC sucks. Nintendo are going to have a seriously terrible time clearing up that mess on the NX. It's not going to get much better, though. Outside of having all your games shared between the NX and NXDS, it's going to be largely the same. Not much they can do there.

I don't know if this is directed at me, but I'll answer. I never implied that flawless emulation of hardware from the 6th gen upwards wasn't intensive.

But, emulating N64 and older gens shouldn't be much of a problem on todays console hardware.

Platforms: Wii U, New 3DS, PS4, PC

currently playing: 
 -Yoshi's Wooly World 
 -Pokemon X
 -Fire Emblem Fates 

Zone: Europe (Germany)

Agreed Proxy, VC needs to get much improved

[] [] [] {} [] 

Around the Network

Not only is it behind the times in terms of purchasing agreements but overall emulation. There is a program running on Wii that emulates Game Boy Advance games with 100% compatibility. I've thrown every game at it and it doesn't falter. Nintendo will have you believe that the GBA couldn't be emulated on Wii. Nintendo will even have you to believe that SNES games can't run on 3DS even though GBA games can. And I understand the SNES had games that utilized special chips but it's no excuse. Hackers got SNES games to run very well on 3DS but I will admit it isn't perfect. My point is, Nintendo needs to get on the Hacker's level of ability when it comes to emulation. They need a solid emulator that runs on their OS that at least handles NES-DS games, handhelds and consoles included. It's already on Wii, with the exception of DS.

Sony puts their games on PSN like it's nothing. Nintendo has to do all this "work" just to put out a few titles at a time. My guess is that they have separate emulation code for each game. But on 3DS you could exploit running any Gameboy game without it being on 3DS eshop. Nintendo NX needs to be able to handle 3rd-7th gen game emulation. Give this task to hackers and they'd have a GUI emulator that works only with Nintendo's OS and can't be easily exploited. Do what you must Nintendo. Getting SNES games on Wii VC was like pulling teeth. Yet there's Snes9xGX which runs most if not all original ROM just fine, no hiccups.

Whatever the NX is, it can't afford to have a lackluster VC. Nintendo just announced DS support a while back and while some good games are available, it's nowhere near the 1000+ library of games it had. If the NX is as powerful or more powerful than the PS4 and Xbone, it should be able to provide a financially cohesive service that emulates all of its major platforms and of course, SEGA's as well. It's insane to me that Nintendo will consciously make people pay more money for a game they already own. But, they're making you pay for work they had to do to build the emulator with the specific game's attributes. If you made an all in one emulator we wouldn't be in this predicament. Ugh, Nintendo.

The Virtual Console has been horrific at best this generation...
Cross-buy needs to be a thing moving forward...
I would say they did a pretty decent job supporting the VC in the early years of the Wii but it's as if they aren't even trying with the 3DS; North America will go months without anVC release on 3DS nowadays...
And why they started all over again on the Wii U is beyond me; at the very least, they should have launched with all the first party games available on the Wii...

Have a nice day...

i see no point in the VC.

Their offerings don't even look as good when you upscale games via HDMI as example from the original cart lol.

I'm waiting for Nintendo account/My Nintendo in most probably futile hopes that it finally brings us VC crossbuy. That would solve a lot of my problems with it already.

Cobretti2 said:
i see no point in the VC.

Their offerings don't even look as good when you upscale games via HDMI as example from the original cart lol.

Where can I find an original cart of Earthbound for $10 or less?