By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox and Windows brand merging... brilliant idea!

OdinHades said:
I will be looking forward to the WinBox! Or Xdows.... or... something...

It will be the XBox 10! Now it all makes sense! the name of the XBone is written with binary numbers! First the XBone, then the XBox 10, then 11, then 100...

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

Wow, people don't really get it.

All that's happening is more cross platform between PC and Xbox. Buy it on Xbox, and get it as a bonus on PC. Like how many Blurays had digital download. If you have a very powerful PC then you can play it with better stats.

Plus, games will stay BC going forward (as I think they should.) Microsoft really is the king of backwards compatibility. From Windows to DirectX they have done an amazing job to keep things working as the hardware changes.

This helps keep DirectX 12 as the lead development platform. Then as phones finally catch up, it will cross over development that too. This will help it stay competitive when and if, SteamOS actually launches and works better. (Which so far hasn't happened.)

The Xbox One has still outsold the Xbox 360 at this time. So the doom and gloom seems more like wishful thinking from some people that don't want Xbox or Microsoft to succeed.

Example:

"New Fun Game"

Play on: Xbox One, PC (Min requirements), and Xbox (Two)

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

I agree with everything but the first and last point. I think Microsoft are still going to make hardware for their "console" OS. But I agree with everything else.

What they are doing is making a steam machine without the stupid move the steam machines did, which was confusing the consumer with to many hardware options. They make the hardware, they make the software. If you like PC, your experience doesn't change. If you like consoles, your experience barely changes. You're still buying another Xbox. It will just have access to EVERYTHING on a PC that runs off windows because it won't be a separate platform like it is now.

I too can see MS doing an Xbox OS rather than gambling on hardware. They could release new updates to the OS along with new controllers if need be. The only issue is, people running the Xbox OS would have to meet certain system requirements which sounds easy but once you realize 40 some odd percent of people still use Windows XP, we have a problem. The way technology is going, most PCs in the future and most of them now even, can run Xbox One games because of course...they were made on a computer.

However, the Xbox OS might be a barrier of entry for many gamers and might hurt the brand. Trying to support a PC OS and console unit would pose as a possibility. But that's the thing, there's just so much possibility with Microsoft, I don't know where they're going to go next with Xbox. And not in a hater manner but in a wondrous manner.