By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Advice for new PC build

JEMC said:
Vasto said:

That SSD is for Laptop. 

No it's not. That's an M.2 drive that works perfectly fine with the motherboard he has picked. In fact M.2 drives are faster than regular SSDs that connect through SATA 3.0.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9702/samsung-950-pro-ssd-review-256gb-512gb

It's only drawback is that is almost twice the price of a regular SATA SSD.

OT. That's a good build, though it goes beyond your $1000 budget (and it doesn't include an OS).

To give you some alternatives, the SSD that Vasto has listed is very good and you won't really notice the difference between that and the M.2 drive. Also, the Hyper 212 is a very good CPU cooler, and a bit cheaper.

Oh, another thing I've noticed is about the case you've listed and the max length of the graphics card:

10.94" (278mm) With Drive Cages
16.54" (420mm) Without Drive Cages

And that MSI R9 390 is listed as 10.91" (277mm), so it will be very tight.

I did not know that but that it does have the same shape as the SSDs that go inside ultra thin laptops. 

Around the Network
Vasto said:
JEMC said:

No it's not. That's an M.2 drive that works perfectly fine with the motherboard he has picked. In fact M.2 drives are faster than regular SSDs that connect through SATA 3.0.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9702/samsung-950-pro-ssd-review-256gb-512gb

It's only drawback is that is almost twice the price of a regular SATA SSD.

OT. That's a good build, though it goes beyond your $1000 budget (and it doesn't include an OS).

To give you some alternatives, the SSD that Vasto has listed is very good and you won't really notice the difference between that and the M.2 drive. Also, the Hyper 212 is a very good CPU cooler, and a bit cheaper.

Oh, another thing I've noticed is about the case you've listed and the max length of the graphics card:

10.94" (278mm) With Drive Cages
16.54" (420mm) Without Drive Cages

And that MSI R9 390 is listed as 10.91" (277mm), so it will be very tight.

I did not know that but that it does have the same shape as the SSDs that go inside ultra thin laptops. 

Maybe they used that idea and brought it to desktop PCs.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Thank you all for the wonderful advice. And thanks JEMC about the length of the video card, that is probably something I would have totally overlooked!

Halazar said:
Thank you all for the wonderful advice. And thanks JEMC about the length of the video card, that is probably something I would have totally overlooked!
CGI-Quality said:
Halazar said:

I was going to post as well, but as usual, JEMC has this covered!

It's a mistake that I was once very close on doing, so now it's one of the things I always look.

It's a fixation .

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

CGI-Quality said:
JEMC said:

It's a mistake that I was once very close on doing, so now it's one of the things I always look.

It's a fixation .

You have any advice on water blocks vs air cooling for something like Titan grahics cards? Air seems to be fine, but if I'm killing the cards slowly, perhaps I should take another look!

I don't know much about watercooling (it's on my "to do" list), but I really doubt you'll run into problems for two simple reasons:

1-Temperature is not the main problem, but high voltage. Therefore, and given that you can't push your cards as much on air because of the temperatures, they are safer that way.

2-You are always looking for more power, you are a serial upgrader. It doesn't matter how far you push your GPUs because you'll replace them before you can run into problems.

Around the Network

Definitely get an SSD, u should be able to find a 500gb for around $120 on sale.

CGI-Quality said:
JEMC said:

2-You are always looking for more power, you are a serial upgrader. It doesn't matter how far you push your GPUs because you'll replace them before you can run into problems.

Gosh, JEMC - don't make it sound like I need AA or anything!

But, am I wrong?

I can't see myself ever going back to having an HDD for my main drive after sporting an SSD, not even a hybrid.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"