By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is This The End Of The Third Version?

mZuzek said:

Well actually the original reason for the "third version" was to get some cash off the anime popularity.

After that, just to get some more easy cash, really.

No it wasn't. The original third version was Pokemon Blue.

Around the Network
HylianYoshi said:
If the third version comes to an end, which is a good thing, I think that DLC will come in to fill the small gaps offered by what a third version could ever offer. The third version doesn't really ever anything really huge to offer to make it worth another repurchase, other than being the definitive version.

Sun/Moon releases this year and they haven't finished it enough in Febuary to show any actual footage.

You can bet 6 bucks and your right nut there will be DLC.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Einsam_Delphin said:
I consider Black2/White2 to be third version equivalents as other than story and naming scheme, that's basically what they are. Thus no, it's still possible that this is Black/White all over again, so we'll have Sun2/Moon2 next year. Though I will say it's also possible that Sun and Moon will be the only mainline Gen 7 games, and instead of a third version they'll use updates and/or dlc.

Hope this is the case. The faster they move on from Gen 7 the better.

Though they don't need to have updates or DLC. The only reason we get third versions, including B2W2, is because Game Freak intentialally makes the initial versions incomplete. If Sun and Moon wore built to be complete narratively, with every legendary given an in game purpose from the get go, there would be no need for third versions. For example, what HGSS and ORAS did with Suicune/Celebi and Rayquaza/Deoxys(but no Jirachi wtf). SM could easily do the same thing.

IkePoR said:

Sun/Moon releases this year and they haven't finished it enough in Febuary to show any actual footage.

Nah, they'll just leave it unfinished and move on like XY.

IkePoR said:

It's more likely that they just haven't finalized the design for one of the key Pokemon yet, boxart legendarys or starters. I mean they took an extra year to work on this and it's most likely using the same engine/assets from XY/ORAS.

Around the Network
Arlo said:
I really have no idea. This is pretty bizarre, especially considering where we are in the gen. With the 3DS on its way out, wouldn't making a "third" and saving the next Pokemon gen for the NX have been smart? Unless of course they're looking to capitalize on the install base, which I actually suppose I couldn't blame them for.

NX is not a handheld and mainline Pokemon games are only released on handhelds.

There, I said it. =P

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Personally, i'd say never say never, but who knows

NNID: b00moscone

Switch ID: SW-5475-6755-1986

3DS friend-Code: 4613-6380-5406

PSN: b00mosconi

mZuzek said:
Nem said:
Pokemon Z never made sense because X and Y stood for cromossomes, not dimensions.

God knows why the TV series went with it.

Why exactly do you say that?

I've never seen any implication that they stand for cromossomes.

This tiny DNA symbol on the japanese logo of the games (google pocket monsters Y/X). Mega evolution was the theme of the game.

Personally I think so, if they really want to do something like a third version they could just release it as DLC. It will screw those that don't have internet but it makes more sense then trying to sell a remix version of a previous main release.