By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rocket League – 2.7 Million Out Of The 4 Million Total “Priced” Sales Are Coming From The PC

It was definitely a good move to put it on ps+. A) they got a deal from sony, I'm sure. B) Do you really think this game would have sold 4 million units if it hadn't started out as a free ps+ game?

Around the Network

It's not free at all, PS+ customers pay for it and the developers get money for each PS+ game downloaded on top of the big sum Sony gave them at the start.

OneKartVita said:
Genius move putting this on ps plus. It allowed the game to go mega viral and that rubbed off on the pc community too.

With the retail version coming it will be a TEN MILLION seller on ps4 alone. Just an absolute beast.

Rocket league 2 will sell a shit ton on both pc and ps4.

And considering it was free I'm very surprised the ps4 version has sold that much.

Calm down. It's "sold" 10 million (6 million with PS+ and 4 million with priced sales) as of now. It's not going to double that with retail.

Chazore said:
ohmylanta1003 said:

What does that mean?

It means trying to say PC did better than PS4 is likely to be wrong, just like every other time someone tries to make the same claim, even using Steam Spy.

For Rocket League, I could see it doing better than PS4.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

ohmylanta1003 said:
Chazore said:

It means trying to say PC did better than PS4 is likely to be wrong, just like every other time someone tries to make the same claim, even using Steam Spy.

For Rocket League, I could see it doing better than PS4.

I would imagine so in the longrun but I really don't trust Steam Spy as far as things go. (especially when we look at the Witness numbers from SS and the dev actually claimed it sold more than what SS said).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
zero129 said:
OneKartVita said:
Genius move putting this on ps plus. It allowed the game to go mega viral and that rubbed off on the pc community too.

With the retail version coming it will be a TEN MILLION seller on ps4 alone. Just an absolute beast.

And considering it was free I'm very surprised the ps4 version has sold that much.

You think something like 7 million people are going to rebuy the game??.

It will do well over 10m easy on ps4 alone plus a healthy number of PC sales.  Rocket league 2 will sell a shit load for sure. 

TheGoldenBoy said:
OneKartVita said:

Calm down. It's "sold" 10 million (6 million with PS+ and 4 million with priced sales) as of now. It's not going to double that with retail.

It will do well retail and digital on ps4 and digital pc.  The game is a phenomenon and will have continued good legs.  10m seller on ps4 for sure.  It's already has 2 10m sellers and this will join the list. 

Lafiel said:
the devs themselves said the PS+ deal was essential in getting the word out there and in crowding the servers, as for a game like this an active community is absolutely vital

obviously they made less money per copy on the PS+ downloads, but I expect that deal alone was enough to ensure a nice little profit from the game with the added bonus of word of mouth exploding and the game reaping enormous profits from regularly bought copies

Oh totally. 2.7 million people on PC wouldn't have crowded any servers!

So, 7.3M from PS4? Just goes on to show that all indie devs should put their games on PS+.

Lawlight said:
So, 7.3M from PS4? Just goes on to show that all indie devs should put their games on PS+.

Rocket League did that well because it's a good game, not just because it was on PS+. If being on PS+ was the only condition for success then every game would have that type of success, which obviously isn't true.