By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mobile devices will be more powerful than PlayStation 4, Xbox One in 2017, ARM forecasts

curl-6 said:
Lawlight said:

Nopes. It hasn't. But also, what's the point of headlines that say "next-gen mobile devices to surpass your last gen consoles"?

Edit: Weren't you the one who claimed that Bioshock mobile was equal to the PS3 version and then proceeded to post a picture of the mobile version and it looked terrible?

No, that wasn't me.

But mobiles have passed PS3/360 specs. Chips like the Tegra X1 top PS3/360 in both feature set and Gigaflops.

not in games, they look terrible 

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
We've been hearing that smartphones will be stronger than consoles for the past 3 years now. Still hasn't happened.

this

Ruler said:
curl-6 said:

No, that wasn't me.

But mobiles have passed PS3/360 specs. Chips like the Tegra X1 top PS3/360 in both feature set and Gigaflops.

It can run games at 1080p that PS3/360 ran at 720p. I'm not talking about what "looks better" cos that of course it down to opinion, I'm just talking specs, and technically speaking, mobile has exceeded last gen consoles.

curl-6 said:
Ruler said:

It can run games at 1080p that PS3/360 ran at 720p. I'm not talking about what "looks better" cos that of course it down to opinion, I'm just talking specs, and technically speaking, mobile has exceeded last gen consoles.

the games dont look like they do

Ruler said:
curl-6 said:

Because smartphone game makers aren't going to push graphics that hard, a smartphone app has to be able to run on a phone from 2-3 years ago, and those are way weaker than modern mobile chips. 

However you could see what these tiny sized chips can do with the Nintendo NX (portable). 

Around the Network
Ruler said:
curl-6 said:

Digital Foundry tested Doom 3 BFG edition and found that it not only ran at 1080p on Tegra X1 vs 720p on PS3/360, but also ran smoother on the mobile chipset with no penalty to the graphics.

curl-6 said:

Digital Foundry tested Doom 3 BFG edition and found that it not only ran at 1080p on Tegra X1 vs 720p on PS3/360, but also ran smoother on the mobile chipset with no penalty to the graphics.

Note how they were using the "Shield Android TV" which is far bigger than smartphones and is more bulkier than tablets ...

It uses 10 watts and is actively fan cooled. It maybe a mobile chipset but it's hardly mobile in the sense where it matters most such as form factor, power consumption, cooling system, and it doesn't even have a battery! 

I would classify it as a microconsole instead ...

They should for how expensive they are!
I don't doubt PS now will look the same on a phone as on a ps4 :) How else are you going to run those 50gb games.

fatslob-:O said:
curl-6 said:

Note how they were using the "Shield Android TV" which is far bigger than smartphones and is more bulkier than tablets ...

It uses 10 watts and is actively fan cooled. It maybe a mobile chipset but it's hardly mobile in the sense where it matters most such as form factor, power consumption, cooling system, and it doesn't even have a battery! 

I would classify it as a microconsole instead ...

That's one (maybe the only so far) application for the Tegra X1, but nvidia still categorizes it as a mobile GPU for "mobile applications".

Though if we want to discount that, Adreno 430 has more juice than PS3/360 also, and that's used in mobile devices.

curl-6 said:
Farsala said:

Not saying it didn't happen. But in general 1080p hardly has a point on a phone with the small screen, less battery life, lack of storage for bigger games, etc.

Games with late ports can also be more easily optimized.

I mean some phones can do 4k but there is little point in that.

Hey, you're talking to a guy who doesn't consider 720p vs 1080p a big deal even on a television screen. ;)

All I'm saying is, technically speaking, claims from a few years back that phones would soon overpower PS3/360 have come true, even if most games don't leverage this capacity.

What phones have released that have greater than 250 gigaflops average of performance?

Oh please do tell I'm interested