By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Dummys guide to Cell development difficulties.

Tagged games:

Theres a lot of people that, whenever the topic of the PlayStation 3 comes up, they quickly point out the difficulties of development. Many of them don't even know what really made the system so difficult. Well, they know it has to do with the Cell proccessor but thats about it. I'm one of those, and you might be too. Now, there are many resources on the net, but you might be like me and find them a bit too dificult. No worries, Youtube got us covered. This video makes the whole thing easy to understand and is narrated by an actual cat, to boot.

As everything that is explained in simple terms, there might be inacuracies. But I leave that to the experts to sort out. One very important thing she mentions near the end is that, without real world testing, theres no way to know what method of proccessing data is necessarly better or easier. In retrospect everyone is an expert and will claim they could see things comming from a mile away but, in truth, back then, no one knew anything. Which is why Kutaragi deserves respect for being brave and trying something unique.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Around the Network

That was pretty good. The Cell just didn't work out as well as planned, which happens with technology. I think the games themselves showed the potential, as Killzone 3 was bloody amazing in terms of visuals, but efficiency comes before potential in most cases.

But, you know, I've been told that Sony never tries to innovate, they only follow.

Watched intire thing, wasnt that long and liked her voice&drawings.
Wasnt very indepth but meh, still liked it.

I think x86 is here to stay for consoles.

Hard to design for consoles just dont make sense, developement time is already bad enough.

pokoko said:
That was pretty good. The Cell just didn't work out as well as planned, which happens with technology. I think the games themselves showed the potential, as Killzone 3 was bloody amazing in terms of visuals, but efficiency comes before potential in most cases.

But, you know, I've been told that Sony never tries to innovate, they only follow.

Theres a fine line between plagiarism and inspiration. It's easy to loose sight of it. Not to mention everyone can have their own definitions of both. But to me the og PS and PS2 are actually ammong my top 5 consoles. I think that, during Kutaragis reing, there were enough new ideas to make the PlayStation 1/2 their own thing. That "Kutaragi quirk" made it to the PS3 hardware for better or worse.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)