By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Prediction: If NX does very well, Splatoon 2 will sell 10 million+.

Do you agree?

Hell yeah! 28 32.94%

Yes 19 22.35%

No 18 21.18%

Go to bed OP. You're goi... 20 23.53%

Total:85

Think about it. Going off of VGC numbers, which is roughly accurate enough, attach rates for Splatoon on Wii U are:

NA - 29% (1.64m copies/5.73m consoles)

Europe - 34% (1.02m copies/2.97m consoles)

Japan - 38% (1.17m copies/3.05m consoles)

Elsewhere -  31% (0.25m copies/0.80m consoles)

TOTAL - 33% (4.08m copies/12.55m consoles)

Splatoon is currently on track to become the best selling Wii U game in Japan. It's currently sitting in 3rd place, a mere 20,000 copies behind Mario Kart 8, and 90,000 copies behind New Mario U. Splatoon is becoming a Nintendo juggernaut, especially in Japan.

These numbers are on a console that was doomed before it even launched on store shelves. If Nintendo does everything right with the NX, they will get many, many more people on board. People who didn't play the original Splatoon. If the NX even sells around what the PS4 has now for lifetime, we can whole heartedly expect CoD-like numbers of 10 million units sold for a Splatoon sequel. 

Who's with me in this logically not-so bold prediction?

bet: lost

Around the Network

10mil will come from japan alone!!!

(Well 4mil, just watch)

Seriously though i could see it, especially if splatoon hits 5mil lifetime on wiiu!

Yep, I can see it. Splatoon certainly has potential and current sales are more proof of that. It will all come down to marketing and if Splatoon 2 will look fresh enough again. Anyway, I think they'll make it.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Well, if they bundle it from the start it could manage that by the end of the gen.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I'd definitely get it for NX, especially if it has achievements. I have had a Wii U since Day 1, but don't feel like getting any more games for it.

Around the Network
VitroBahllee said:
I'd definitely get it for NX, especially if it has achievements. I have had a Wii U since Day 1, but don't feel like getting any more games for it.

Why people are obsessed with achievements? Just curious, for me enjoying a game is all I care.

vivster said:
Well, if they bundle it from the start it could manage that by the end of the gen.

Nah, look at how much itll sell this coming Tuesday (Nintendo Q3 report). The game as a new ip sold huge without bundles. Even looking at japans sales which should total around 1.5mil by year end (ship+digital), only about 100k of those sales were bundled.

Point basically saying no it doesn't need to be bundled^^^

Roderic_Blackwood said:
VitroBahllee said:

Why people are obsessed with achievements? Just curious, for me enjoying a game is all I care.

Well, have you ever thought of the possibility that having achievements helps people enjoy a game more?

bet: lost

HylianYoshi said:
Roderic_Blackwood said:
VitroBahllee said:

Well, have you ever thought of the possibility that having achievements helps people enjoy a game more?

What I hate about the PS3 is that whenever I'm ejoying a game every minute I'm earning a trophy just because I'm playing, that's kinda useless. Unless they make a good achievement system that unlocks something worth it for me it's pointless. I like Nintendo badges and stamps, though but for me that's not something I think about when I buy a game, that´s why I asked about the achievement obsession.

Since I think NX is basically going to unify Nintendo's handheld and console ecosystem I think 10 million+ sales is actually underestimating the possible sales for a Splatoon sequel.

I think handheld owners would lap it up. Basically if you take the 3DS audience and let them buy Splatoon there's potential for a good 5X the sales of the Wii U version.
Splatoon managed about 4 million units on Wii U, even if NX is just a new console, that shifts 3X the Wii U's hardware sales, that's 12 million units of Splatoon (assuming sales scale linearly).

Opening up another 5X+ gamers Splatoon could easily top 20 million on NX, just because of the handheld owners being able to buy the game and the fact it's an established franchise now.
The potential for this game is huge IMO, I hope Nintendo iterates on the game's features, adding new cool ideas and pushes this game hard like they do with Mario titles.

I would have bought a Wii U by now, but because of the whole NX unknowns right now I've held off. I can even get one with MK8 and Splatoon for £219, which means the console only works out at like £160 for the 32GB model, but if NX is coming this year and the platform has backwards compatibility with Wii U then I'll just save up for the console or handheld version and buy Splatoon when I get NX.

IMO over 20 million is possible if NX unifies the handheld and console software libraries, if NX does standard Nintendo hardware numbers for a home console then I think 12 million is possible.
It just makes sense too me given the install bases of the combined Nintendo audience or even just the console market if NX is a standard home console, without having the unified library.