By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony FY2016 Q3 results out, 993$ million profit, 21.3$ Billion revenue, 8.4 Million PS4s shipped!

Lawlight said:
Farsala said:

Nintendo-336 Sony 333. Pretty much a tie. But with Nintendo they sell amiibos and lots of 1st party and is late in their console cycles which typically reaps the most profits.

Also this goes back to revenue. Sony did 587.1 vs Nintendo 425.6, but Nintendo made more profit because it was mostly software vs hardware for Sony. Once the PS4 is late in its console cycle it should produce more profit.

MS also makes a lot more profit due to software (Windows, Office, etc.)

Where did you get that Nintendo made $336M? I'm seeing $240M.

Got it from an article but I see they made a mistake with a typical media clickbait title. I should just read the actual financial reports from now on...

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Farsala said:

Nintendo-336 Sony 333. Pretty much a tie. But with Nintendo they sell amiibos and lots of 1st party and is late in their console cycles which typically reaps the most profits.

Also this goes back to revenue. Sony did 587.1 vs Nintendo 425.6, but Nintendo made more profit because it was mostly software vs hardware for Sony. Once the PS4 is late in its console cycle it should produce more profit.

MS also makes a lot more profit due to software (Windows, Office, etc.)

Where did you get that Nintendo made $336M? I'm seeing $240M.

Thats the thing, its so hard to have sound conversations when people are spewing false information.  It's like getting really bad.  Ive read in three different places that Nintendo's Oct-Dec 2015 quarter was larger than Sony' gaming division and thats just not true.

Farsala said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Hm, this makes me wonder if these companies are all laughing at us for arguing over unit sales. If Nintendo can make more money (for whatever reasons) than Sony even though the PS4 is kicking the holy hell out of the Wii-U, unit sales CAN'T be all that important. 

Very interesting.

The big picture is pretty important too though. Since the PS4 and XB1 came out, their gaming divisions have not really had a loss but Nintendo did.

PS4 and XB1 doing pretty well means their gaming divisions are set for 2 to 3 years, meanwhile Nintendo has to go through R&D, marketing and release their next console(s). Then of course the cycle continues.

EA made more profit too at 395 :(.

EA making that much money is just... ew. lol