By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart: Where Can It Go Next?

After seeing the amazing creative job Nintendo/Retro did with Mario Kart 7, I thought they couldn't do much to impress with Mario Kart 8. 

I mean, Mario Kart 7 featured customizable vehicle parts for the first time in the series, true underwater racings, flying gliders and other things. It was a daring game back in the day, especially being a handheld one.

But then, Nintendo announced Mario Kart 8 and it blew people's mind again with jaw dropping graphics and the gravity mechanics that helped making the game feeling fresh again. It goes without saying that they also expanded on many fronts as expected as well, except for the Battle Mode, which was very weak.

Now I wonder... where can they go next with Mario Kart? What else is left? I mean, I don't doubt they can/will impress us again, I'm sure they will, but what ideas do you think they can implement on the game guys? New features? Even more impressive graphics? New modes? 

Please share!

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Around the Network

A campaign mode instead of just getting the trophies? Bring battle mode back?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Make the the next game the last, turn it into a platform with new content every year, and then pass the torch to Diddy Kong Racing 2. MK is already reaching its peak. Best game on the Wii U. Not much more needs to be done.

spemanig said:
Make the the next game the last, turn it into a platform with new content every year, and then pass the torch to Diddy Kong Racing 2. MK is already reaching its peak. Best game on the Wii U. Not much more needs to be done.

I can see this working only if NX is a system family that keeps expading itself instead of a tradicional system that gets replaced after 4 or 5 years.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

LipeJJ said:

I can see this working only if NX is a system family that keeps expading itself instead of a tradicional system that gets replaced after 4 or 5 years.

That's exactly what I think the NX will be.

Around the Network

I'd like them to officially include other Nintendo characters. Similar to Smash Bros but with racing. Link & AC characters were included in 8 but I'd want that expanded to more racers, weapons, and tracks from other series.

[] [] [] {} [] 

How about create-a-track that you can share like the levels in Mario Maker?

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Things Nintendo needs could do with the next MK:

- Include a story mode
- Bring back the so-much-loved battle mode
- Expand the roster. The world needs a Super Smash Kart-sized racing game
- Avoid clones. No more Pink Gold Peach
- Create a virtual market of sorts to buy engines, new karts and shit

spemanig said:
LipeJJ said:

That's exactly what I think the NX will be.

Well, in that case I can see this working well. In fact, it would probably make tons of profits.

Story mode would be nice.

Also, I might be in the minority here, but I'm personally not a fan of the whole "Nintendo Kart" idea of having characters from all these universes.

A couple of characters are fine, like Link and Villager in MK8, I don't want them to oversaturate the roster with non-MARIO characters in MARIO Kart.

Besides, we already have Smash Bros. for our Nintendo Crossover goodness.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."