By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Most threats to humans come from science and technology, warns Hawking

We need something to kill us, we're getting way too close to curing too many diseases and nowhere close enough to coming up with a proper solution to global hunger and housing.

Around the Network

Well of course. Where else would the religious extremists get their WMDs.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

pokoko said:

The interesting thing here for me is the idea that the ultimate hope of humankind is that we must eventually find a way to colonize other planets.  If we don't, as resources run dry at a quickening rate, then we'll eventually turn Earth into Dune--well, maybe not with the giant Sandworms, but it will get bad.  Then all that technology will be used to fight over dwindling resources.

hershel_layton said:
Isn't this obvious? Really, am I the only one that was a kid and realized "hey, humans are quite scary. we'll probably end up killing ourselves".

If we don't end up successfully colonizing a different place, I wouldn't mind. Humans have created quite the amount of destruction. Let nature take the tide and do what it wants

As there have been hundreds, likely even thousands, of science fictions stories and novels on that very subject, then probably not.

With resources running dry what are you refering to ? As the resources that we use are still on the planet after we use them its just a technological thing to refresh them or convert them in resources we need.

Technically speaking there is no resource lost ever. At the moment, when we speak of lost resources, we are speaking about things that do not make financial sense to restore yet.

I also dont think we are a threat for the planet.

The damage humanity has done to the world is nothing compared to a bigger asteroid impact or a super vulcano eruption.  The earths  ecosystem would be able to recover from a full blown nuclear war in a few millenia. Chernobyl is full of animals and plants.

What we did until know is mainly damaging for us. We still have big polar Caps. There were periods in earths life span were there were none and jungle was everywhere. We are one of our biggest threat except some extinction scale event,  but we are not yet a real threat to our planet. Maybe if we start manipulating the position of celestial bodies then a mistake could destroy the earth.  

Yep. One day we'll discover how to make a bomb powerful enough to destroy the world. And there will be that guy just wanting to press that big red button.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

FunFan said:
Yep. One day we'll discover how to make a bomb powerful enough to destroy the world. And there will be that guy just wanting to press that big red button.

Or monkey ;)

Around the Network
pleaserecycle said:
RadiantDanceMachine said:

Stick to physics, clearly you know next to nothing about computer science.

How does computer science play into this?  Am I missing something?

Oh dear. Do you not know which field is responsible for developing AI?

So, technically it's not actually the science, it's the maturity (or lack thereof) of the specie to control their base emotions/instincts that's the threat.

pleaserecycle said:

How does computer science play into this?  Am I missing something?

Oh dear. Do you not know which field is responsible for developing AI?

There are many fields rooted in AI development, but this article is about black holes..

except when it gives you accolades or a means of communication ...

The PS5 Exists. 

Stick to physics, clearly you know next to nothing about computer science.

Computer science?