By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - How Rich are You on a Global Scale?

What is your wealth position relative to the rest of the world?

top 0.1% 82 18.55%

top 1% 124 28.05%

top 5% 85 19.23%

top 10% 45 10.18%

top 25% 36 8.14%

50%-25% 26 5.88%

bottom 50% 44 9.95%

Total:442

yeahy. 1.67 %. i'm the 100.356.061st richest on this planet.

*scrolling down*

[DONATE NOW]

what a twist!

Hunting Season is done...

Around the Network
jason1637 said:

I put in the money I makes from my Saturday school and got 26%

There are a TON of poor countries in the world.

I got 0.06% for income and 0.02% for wealth.

I broke the top 1,000,000, but it doesn't feel like it in NYC.

Using my parents numbers got 0.04%. Damn, I should have asked for more expensive gifts last birthday.

DonFerrari said:
cheshirescat said:
My income is somewhat variable year by year, went by what I made last year, which was a fair bit less than I had made the year before, and got .0009%. Wealth is apparently at .006%.

Are you adopting adult males?

I already have two kids that I love, but never wanted.

Around the Network
Fei-Hung said:
Done it and it put me in the top 2.5%. Problem is these things do not take living costs into consideration.

My mortgage and utility bills alone eat up £700 every month. Wealth should be in accordance to the amount of disposable income you have.

Wealth is your asset base, the stuff you own. The fact you have a mortgage at all, which makes you a property owner, with at least some equity in the property on which you have a mortgage, puts you far ahead of the majority of the world. You might not feel rich, but owning your own house is an unattainable dream for the vast majority of people. 

But yes, there are relativities, and someone earning the same amount in £ in a developing country translated into that currency will almost certainly have a better life than you are having in Britain.  But they are probably much higher up in the social heirarchy in that country compared to your position. It's why accumulated wealth is a better measure than income, because a lot of people in the top 10% of income are still renters with no real investments to speak of, so they only assets they own are things that depreciate a lot over time. If I'm a renter with no other investments, but I own my own furniture, car and other everyday "stuff" my wealth position in the world will be much lower than my income position. So in some ways it's good to asses where you are on the income scale compared to where you are on the wealth scale, and if there is a big difference (e.g. top 2% for income, and outside the top 10% for wealth) then you're a fair bit less rich than your income result alone suggests. But if your income position and wealth position are within about 5% and you're in the top 10% for both then you are doing pretty well.

Another interesting thing is that someone on the unemployment benefit here is still in the top 18% for income. But their accumulated wealth, if they have been chronically unemployed, probably means their wealth is getting into the 30-40% range. At the top end you can get some outcomes that don't feel right. But the bottom 50% of people in the world (2.5 billion because children aren't being counted here) individually have accumulated wealth to the value of less than $3500 US or 60,000 Rupees, or 50,000 Baht, or 7000 Real. Which includes the clothes and shoes they wear.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

in the top 0.86% based on my income.

.08 income and 4.68 wealth. For income it asked for annual net, but my true tax liability is higher than just the bracket I'm in so I would drop. My cost of living is pretty cheap though. For wealth I included my home(almost paid off after 6 years) retirement and a paid off vehicle.I didn't add in my other possessions.

Top .13%

Makes me feel bad, considering a lot of people i live next to are nothing but snotty brats who complain about everything.

(sigh)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Razeak said:
.08 income and 4.68 wealth. For income it asked for annual net, but my true tax liability is higher than just the bracket I'm in so I would drop. My cost of living is pretty cheap though. For wealth I included my home(almost paid off after 6 years) retirement and a paid off vehicle.I didn't add in my other possessions.

That's actually very impressive. Not many people are capable of paying off their home in 6 years.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.