By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Walmart To Close Over 200 Stores, Lay Off About 10,000 U.S. Workers

It always sucks when people lose their jobs.

There is a particular case in PR. Walmart is not going to close their stores over here, but they'll close like 5-6 supermarkets of a local chain they've bought several years ago. It feels like this: they buy a local company, they "Walmart-ize" it and they shut it down.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
chapset said:
Most walmart employees are on food stamp anyway and they get more out of it then their slave wages at walmart. I hope the smart one use the experience they got at walmart to get a better paying job so they can get out of food stamp. Trump 2016 for a better Canada

I am a hourly manager at walmart and on food stamps.

That's bullshit, but for some reasons americans are ok with that.

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Wal Mart can do better with online sales.

I hate going to the stores but I shop from Wal Mart online all the time.

I always thought Walmart was a terible store, so I'm not too surprised about this.

A real shame about the employees losing their jobs tho. :/

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

hershel_layton said:
This is what happens when you want 15 bucks for a simple job.

This is also what happens when Walmart's owners are nothing but selfish assholes.

The owners deserve the profit loss. I despise Walmart, and never go there. My father hates it more, as he is a business owner, and hates big companies such as Walmart that mistreat their clients.

The workers don't deserve this though. Already hard enough dealing with the idiots who shop there

There's nothing simple about retail, really. Some of the jobs in a retail store are simple. Most are not. Also, didn't Walmart just make a fuss about raising their employees wages to $10 some time in 2016? So I doubt these stores are closing because people "want" $15. I'm sure everyone making less than $15 an hour wants $15 an hour.

This probably has more to do with there being way too many Walmart stores, and these smaller non-SuperCenter stores just not making enough profit. Once these new raises take effect it probably makes the profit margin of already struggling stores non-existent.

I mean, in my area I can off the top of my head of 6 SuperCenter stores and 2 "market" stores or whatever the smaller stores are called, all within very easy driving distance.

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
hershel_layton said:

This is also what happens when Walmart's owners are nothing but selfish assholes.

The owners deserve the profit loss. I despise Walmart, and never go there. My father hates it more, as he is a business owner, and hates big companies such as Walmart that mistreat their clients.

The workers don't deserve this though. Already hard enough dealing with the idiots who shop there

There's nothing simple about retail, really. Some of the jobs in a retail store are simple. Most are not. Also, didn't Walmart just make a fuss about raising their employees wages to $10 some time in 2016? So I doubt these stores are closing because people "want" $15. I'm sure everyone making less than $15 an hour wants $15 an hour.

This probably has more to do with there being way too many Walmart stores, and these smaller non-SuperCenter stores just not making enough profit. Once these new raises take effect it probably makes the profit margin of already struggling stores non-existent.

I mean, in my area I can off the top of my head of 6 SuperCenter stores and 2 "market" stores or whatever the smaller stores are called, all within very easy driving distance.

I know over-saturation was always a huge problem. Occurs with any place when you have too many stores.

Though, it isn't an issue for where I live. Usually, the walmart that's close to me is always jam-packed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

LudicrousSpeed said:
hershel_layton said:

I live 5 mins away from a small Walmart and 10 mins away from four supercenters. On one street there's a Walmart supercenter just down the street from another neighborhood walmart.