By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is The Last of Us a timeless classic?

Metal Gear Solid, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Shadow of the Colossus and Super Mario Bros. 3. These are games that generations later are still remembered as classics and true gaming gens. I think of the seventh generation The Last of Us is most likely the game that will end up like this, do you agree?

Around the Network

Yeah.

Only time will tell how timeless it will be.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Yes.

No way.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Around the Network

oh yeah i think it's qualified

Mario Galaxy 1, 2, and Uncharted 2, 3 are the most likely games to become timeless classics. Also worth mentioning is that The Last of Us will probably be best remembered for it's story more than anything. Just a thought, though.

So I think maybe SotC levels of timelessness, but not on the levels of the other 3 games you mentioned.

bet: lost

I think people will forget about it very quickly. There are so many games coming out and very few actually break any ground. Even if they do, we quickly get several who do the same thing, and they often do it better as well.

The game(s) that will be regarded as timeless classics for the 7th gen are games that are great and that brought something new and fresh to the video game table. TLOU didn't bring anything gameplay or graphics-wise. So it's really about the narrative, the characters and the acting. I have no problem at all with a game being held up as a timeless classic based on elements that are not core gameplay. I've always really enjoyed video games as a story telling medium and I want that aspect of games to become more and more sophisticated. There will always be lots of games that are about pure gameplay, but not all games need to be that.

Whether TLOU rises to become a defining moment in games as a story telling medium remains to be seen. Aguably for the 7th gen Uncharted actually paved the way. TLOU was a refinement.

One way in which TLOU could become a pivotal game is if it gets successfully adapted into a movie that gets both critical praise and box office success. It would finally signal that video games can be a good source of material for movie adaptation. I'm not confident TLOU will make a critically and commercially successful translation to the big screen, and I'm not even certain the movie will ever be completed. But I think this could potentially be the biggest contribution TLOU makes to video games, and it would deserve to be remembered for that.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Give it time.