By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy VII Remake is episodic

Final Fantasy VII Remake is a multi-part series. Please tell us more about this decision.

Kitase: “The idea that a remake of Final Fantasy VII would not fit into a single release was there from the very beginning. We still can’t share more information about its multiple parts, but please look forward to future announcements.”

Nomura: “If we dedicated our time to a single release, parts of it would become summarized. We’d have to cut some parts, and additional parts would come in few, so rather than remake the game as a full volume, we decided to do multiple parts.

Kitase: “As you can see in the trailer, we showed Sector 1 and Sector 8, but in those areas alone, I think you can see a lot of density. When you’re remaking the entirety of the original version in that quality, it’s not possible to fit it all in one release.”

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2015/12/kitase-and-nomura-explain-why-final-fantasy-vii-remake-is-a-multi-part-series/

Basically this confirms to me that it is only FFVII, not a part 2 or 3 like FFXIII, as the original game seems to be huge enough to keep them busy for many years.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
Pavolink said:

Final Fantasy VII Remake is a multi-part series. Please tell us more about this decision.

Kitase: “The idea that a remake of Final Fantasy VII would not fit into a single release was there from the very beginning. We still can’t share more information about its multiple parts, but please look forward to future announcements.”

Nomura: “If we dedicated our time to a single release, parts of it would become summarized. We’d have to cut some parts, and additional parts would come in few, so rather than remake the game as a full volume, we decided to do multiple parts.

Kitase: “As you can see in the trailer, we showed Sector 1 and Sector 8, but in those areas alone, I think you can see a lot of density. When you’re remaking the entirety of the original version in that quality, it’s not possible to fit it all in one release.”

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2015/12/kitase-and-nomura-explain-why-final-fantasy-vii-remake-is-a-multi-part-series/

Basically this confirms to me that it is only FFVII, not a part 2 or 3 like FFXIII, as the original game seems to be huge enough to keep them busy for many years.

well then, I'll just wait for them to complete it, because waiting for a new episode will break my immersion. With that said, I'm 100% behind of what Square Enix is trying to do because Jam packing all that HD rendering is going to take a lot of space.

A better solution would be to just take the time they need to complete the game in multiple disc. I don't mind swapping disc.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Mummelmann said:

Translation; it won't be very good for Final Fantasy VII fans. At least, that's what I get out of it.

Once all the episodes are released I don't see the big deal.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

If this is basically breaking the discs into their own "episode," I'm fine with it. As long as each episode is no more than $20-30. That would be a huge success and allow them funding to complete episodes 2, then 3.

My fear is that this episodic approach is to avoid having a world map, having you just transport from one place to the next and only play the major events. Making you pay extra for Yuffie's and Vincent's side quests.

First way, I'm fine with and I think most will be. The latter, I won't buy unless there's a flash sale on PSN, or they give it for free with Plus, and I think it has a much larger chance at failure.

Carl2291 said:
Not really surprised.

We heard for years that the remake would take them far too long to develop when you consider modern videogame development compared to development of 20 years ago. 3 discs, 3 parts to the story. Means they can get something out for 2017 to celebrate the 20th anniversary and continue to bring out new parts of the saga almost annually.

If they fit the entirety of Disc 1 into one episode, I will be really impressed. For people who have never played the game too, the ending to Disc 1 will be something absolutely fucking huge for them to be left with in anticipation for Disc 2.

Dude, please don't spoil this 19 year old game for people. Srsly.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Manlytears said:
I hope they are not too greedy ... I would accept 3 episodes for this great game, perhaps 4 with a massive addition of extra moments, but 5 or more would be a scam ...
I sincerely want the success of this project, since it could possibly generate Remakes for big games such as Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI (in my humble opinion, the 2 best rpgs ever made).

That's a good point I'm also very interested, this remake success could trigger (not pun intended) another ones.
Specially I would just love to see Sony getting interested on this idea and remember they had a huge RPG they could give the same treatment.

foi uma boa brincadeira ( a parte do trigger)
yeah, i agree, Sony have some nice,Rpgs on the belt such as:

Wild Arms, Legend of Legaia I and Legend of Dragoon (I did not play Dragoon, but I heard good things)

Good stuff, not Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI level, but very solid games in my humble opinion.

Puppyroach said:

I never said it did, I said that it is better that customers react ahead of a release than after. Some in this thread react positively, some react negatively. The people in these forums also frequent other social media, so this is just one outlet ofcourse. And the notion that consumer power can only be enacted through the wallet is just wrong.

I'm not convinced of this view ... 

The only reason Shenmue 3 and Star Citizen exists are thanks to customer wallets ...

StarOcean said:
I was discussing this with the other VGChartz staff a few days ago, how would the world map even work in an episodic FF7? :S

They never said it would be episodic. It's more like one full game per part. So it's more likely we will have to wait a long time for the whole series to end. Think FF13 series or Mass effect.

Kowan said:
StarOcean said:
I was discussing this with the other VGChartz staff a few days ago, how would the world map even work in an episodic FF7? :S

They never said it would be episodic. It's more like one full game per part. So it's more likely we will have to wait a long time for the whole series to end. Think FF13 series or Mass effect.

Still makes me wonder how the world map will be handled. Or if they'll opt to make it more linear like FFX

BraLoD said:
StarOcean said:

Still makes me wonder how the world map will be handled. Or if they'll opt to make it more linear like FFX

Well, the world map is already handled in a split form in the original game.
The vehicles should be the escape route, parts of the map are naturally blocked to you until you reach a certain point in the story and get the vehicle necessary to reach it.

FF7 world map is empty in the sense there are not much to do outside of reaching another are were it would get something to you to do, so they can easily build a decently big, empty world, and provide it since the beginning and during any episodes, but just in the last one you would actually have access to everything there.

I suppose so. I just hope they dont fuck this game up x.x