By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One enjoys its best Black Friday yet - up 22% over same period last year

Protendo said:
Snoopy said:

I'm not following. I must live in a different reality, because I remember Last of Us, Grand Turismo, Puppeteer, and more. I even remember making a thread asking why is the PS3 getting all the good exclusives at the time. Microsoft pretty much fully transistioned to the Xbox One in comparison.

PlatformN. AmericaEuropeJapanGlobal
686,232 366,592 25,284 1,251,908
804,071 210,977 555

Pretty sure Europe PS4 numbers are undertracked. Can't wait to compare with NPD.  That does put The Xbox One between the two Xbox records though.

vgchartz is undertracking the PS4 generally speaking. Sony said that the PS4 sold 30.2 million as od November 22 (before black Friday) and vgchartz tracks 30.2 million PS4 sold as of November 28:

huh.. It went up to 30.3 just now that I pasted it. Still it's off by at least 1 million PS4 according to its own numbers for the Black friday w/e.

Around the Network

^^ Yep. It also bears note that the 360 didn't honestly even do very much in 2005 and 2006. 2007 was the breakout year for the 360. Gears of War and Halo 3 really hit big.

The Xbox brand wasn't super well established in 2005. The OG Xbox had one major system seller in Halo, but it failed to create a truly competitive console. So the 360 launching without Halo (the premier brand title for Xbox) kind of lightly jogged out of the starting gate rather than sprinted out. Production issues didn't help matters.

But once PS3 was announced at such a crazy price and 360 was gaining steam, the die was cast in the US. PS3 never recovered either, winning I think maybe just a single month or two at best for NPD. EU/Asia was how the PS3 was able to eventually have success globally.

xl-klaudkil said:
So ps4 broke even more records

Sure, PS4 is so great, it even had more active users on XBL than xb1. DOMINATION!

Wow great numbers if up 22% year over year.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Snoopy said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

No. Incorrect again, historically speaking. Sony didnt want out of the 7th gen, thats being made up. Look up the sources, its all there. Sony had a ten year plan for profitability on their Playstation consoles (all of them). Microsoft created a ten year plan to follow them as well. Wherever Sony goes, Microsoft will follow. Its why the 360 and Xbox One will last as long as they will opposed to Nintendo who only lasts 5-7 years. The 360 will have the longest lifespan of any console ever because they want to follow the PS3 to the very end of its life cycle. In conclusion, because Microsoft followed Sony's plan their ten year plan their console will actually be on the market for eleven years (the years head start, plus the other ten of the duration for which Sony's console lasts). This will happen for the One as well.  Microsoft knows they cannot give Sony an inch because they are the natural threat.

Sony had a 10 year plan? So does Microsoft with 360. 360 still recieved tomb raider, cod and mgs5 after 10 years on the market.

....It seems you're not getting the point. Microsoft cannot lose any ground with Sony. Sony is the choice console of the world have have been since they entered the console industry. Microsoft always knew this. Microsoft had to bust their asses to get their hands on those titles that Sony fought to keep exclusive, so much so that they became Sony staples. If Microsoft can get their hands on those games they can drive gamers away from Sony. Didn't work for the most party, but they tried. The reason why Microsoft succeeded against the PS3 is because Sony screwed up their launch with their pricing. People were waiting on the fence to see what Sony would do with the PS3 and once they revealed the price they jumped ship to the 360. Again...Sony is the worlds natural choice and if they screw up then the competition will then take the reigns. If not then tough luck for the competition and Sony will gobble up all of the third party exclusivity with a streak never seen by any other brand.

Thats not what I am saying. Im saying Microsoft has been succeeding where other has failed against Sony. The fact Microsoft is competitve against Sony in North America and UK speaks volume. The days of the PS2 are over pretty much. I agree sony did mess up with the PS3 price, but Xbox 360 didn't sell that well the first year. People were thinking games like GTA, DMC, FF,ect were all going to be exclusive or at least timed exclusive on PS3. The only major third party exclusive Sony recieved was MGS4. The days of the 6th gen for Sony are pretty much over in terms of all major third party publishers making games exclusively for PS. Microsoft has put itself in a position to take over this industry now that they have foot in the door. Just in case nobody sees what is going on, there isn't many NEW AAA titles that sell very well this gen. There are some that do ok, but other than Titan Fall and Destiny there is hardly anything else. If this industry isn't expanding, Microsoft can start buying out some AAA multiplatform titles that sell well and make it exclusive. Microsoft already bought Gears and Minecraft. They have the money to do this and if the industry isn't expanding that means there are only a few AAA multiplatform games sell very well and pushes a console. Microsoft wants to be in your living room. There is too much potential for Microsoft if they're in your living room to make a lot of money. Bing, Hotmail, Skype, Cortana,Window Apps, Music, Games, ect will get huge  spike in revenue. They will do what it takes to succeed.

Around the Network

They sold 1.2 million last year, so wouldn't 22% mean that Microsoft sold 1.464M units?