By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What British TV programmes are popular in America?

Garth Marengie's Dark Place.

I don't think it would go down well with American audiences, but you should all watch it anyway.

Around the Network

^ That show is such genius, One Track Lover had me laughing for days.

None. Anyone that knows about Nielsen Ratings (aka me) knows that zero British shows are considered popular or mainstream

What are you looking at, nerd?
StanGable said:
None. Anyone that knows about Nielsen Ratings (aka me) knows that zero British shows are considered popular or mainstream

True if you consider only the genuine uk shows and not the adaptations like "American Idol" or "The Office".

Zones : I still don't understand all the love for Blizzard, what was the last game they developed worth playing?
ferret1603 said:
Vertigo-X said:
mrpapaye said:
Hello

For the ones i instantly think about there are :
American Idol (us version of the original uk Pop Idol)
The Office

Bye.

Erm, The Office is British?

Yes. You guys got a god awful remake, I could only watch 10 minutes of it it was so cringeworthy! 

The show has really come into it's own the last two seasons.

Around the Network

I find the differences between British and American comedies pretty interesting. It's almost like comparing dark chocolate to milk chocolate. Being Canadian I think it gives me a unique perspective since many Canadian comedies seem to be a blend between British and American.

I like doctor who.

If I remember correctly, the Coupling remake is almost exactly the same, word by word...but with worse actors without british accents. What's the point?

Edit: my only enjoyment from the Pirates movies was spotting the Coupling/The Office actors.

Monty Python is the really the only one to be successful. I say this because we didn't remake it with a new cast. A lot of shows that were successful over the pond we have tried to duplicate with a new cast. The Office being one of the more popular. The Sci-Fi channel does however import a lot of British shows but its the Sci-Fi channel so you can't 10 million viewers watching it a night. Didn't we take Deal or No Deal from over there?!?

Hi, this is Vince with Shamwow.

Me, my brother, and my uncle used to watch Are You Being Served? and it's spin-off show Are You Being Served? Again!(apparently it's original name was Grace and Favour). Really funny stuff. It aired on public television here in America.

There are also a lot of BBC shows/documentaries shown on cable channels like Discovery Times and The History Channel.

"I feel like I could take on the whole Empire myself."