By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Blu Ray wings getting clipped?? 15 Minute HD Movie Downloads

leo-j said:
Wake me up when september ends.

Then I will see what happens, besides its not 1080p is it.
iTunes HD Movie rentals are compressed 720p, so I imagine any HD movie downloads from other sources would be the same.

Around the Network

The initial quality of video downloaded from iTunes was terrible. It was easy to find illegal downloads of better quality which was about when I stopped buying shows on the service after the initial novelty wore out.

It's improved since then, but now the issue is paying $36-40 for a season of shows vs. the same or less (depending on sales) for the same season on DVD. Optical media has the extras and still, slightly better quality on average (comparing standard def downloads to standard DVDs). The only disadvantage to buying optical media is storage if you're the type of person who owns/buys hundreds of movies and shows.

720p video looks fine on a typical computer monitor. It will look fine on a typical 32" display or smaller. But for home entertainment systems with larger displays, the difference is undeniable.

what you all forget is that MOST people buy big HDTV to enjoy movies on it and in most of the households the PC is not connected to the TV(they are mostly even set up in different rooms),,and also most ISP have max size download of 50 GB per month,,it will happen but not for another good 5 -8 years

What are some of the movies you can download from xbox live?  Does it have a good library or is it just the tv shows that you can download from the network websites? 

By the way, average "broadband" download speed in the US is 1.9 Mbps, http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070529-survey-average-broadband-speed-in-us-is-1-9mbps.html

Also, doesn't look like Virgin Media is getting high marks with its customers .  This is from the link you included.

Average User Ratings out of 10:
Service
Support
Value
3.9 out of 10
3.5 out of 10
3.9 out of 10

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Its somewhat ironic since Sony is banking on this digital form of distribution to be the format of choice for the PS4. One generation they make us buy Blu-Ray, the next they make us download our HD movies. Oh well, maybe Blu-Ray is just their idea of the physical alternative to downloads for people that want to own a physical copy?

Around the Network

I have to say 'forget about it!' I've seen Virgin service in action at friends with 20 MB and its terrible. No reason to assume 50 MB will be any less restrictive. This isn't going to materially affect physical media sales in the near, medium and probably longer term.

There are too few people interested or able vs those who want to just rent a physical disk or buy a physical disk.

Even if the tech was fully there its an unknown what the percentage split between physical vs digital would be as its not a given that the majority want digitial even if they could easily have it.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

StanGable said:
DragonLord said:
Sort of out of the norm, but true in many cases....I know a guy from work that is 36 years old. He doesn't even have dial-up Internet at his house because he's not willing to pay even $15 a month for the Internet!

Yet, he owns over 300 dvd's. He is willing to buy physical media, but won't even pay $15 a month for Internet.

Yes, downloading media seems like a grand and swell idea to forum junkies, Internet nerds, and tech geeks.

But not to your run of the mill casual that didn't grow up with the Internet and technology. Lol, I can't picture my grandma downloading flicks--let alone my mom or dad. My mom doens't even know how to turn a computer on or off.

Well those people that are gramps and living in rural areas better live another 50 years and willing to buy Blu-Ray cuz HERE IN THE CITIES, where most of the consumption takes place, most people in their 30s and even 40s are pretty aware of the internet, have high speed internet and are more than willing to spent on video downloads.

Lol...you fail again. We live in a city of nearly 300,000. Fact remains, the infrastructure and costs and appeal just won't be available in the majority of places for 5-10 years. The cities aren't everything anyhow, rural areas/small towns and cities actual account for a higher % of the US population than large metropolitan, tech-advanced cities.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

FilaBrasileiro said:
ion-storm said:
Deviation59 said:
ion-storm said:

*sarcasm* Blu-ray. Is. Dead *sarcasm*

Yup. Sure it is. Dream on, fanboy.

What am I a fanboy for?

I don't know but your statement is pretty ignorant. HD DVD is dead, Betamax is dead, Blu Ray is alive and kicking and IMHO will be so for at least 5 years or so when maybe Full HD downloadable movies are available to the masses
 Perhaps I should put something else into my original post since some people didn't get the tone.

Yes

I found the title to this thread and the actual topic to be pretty funny. Sure, I don't doubt things will be moving to digital downloads, but that's going to take some time and there is no way I'm going to be paying a crap load just for an internet connection to download a movie when I can go to the rental store and rent one.

i'll stay with my dvd's... but thanks/.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive