By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Xenoblade Chronicles X Tech Analysis (Digital Foundry)

Framerate over graphics. Overall the game performs and looks great considering is running on the wii u

Around the Network

I'll be the last one to complain about visual downgrades for performance. I wonder how it would look for 60fps.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

pffft Wii U, just imagine how good this game would look on PC

dahuman said:
pffft Wii U, just imagine how good this game would look on PC

Amazing but you know how the industry is...

spemanig said:
bigtakilla said:

But as with everything, the flaws only serve to show what the future holds. The fact that it has a stable framerate, and actually works with what it does accomplish graphically makes me far more excited about the NX Xenoblade than whatever Assassin's Creed they announce for the PS5 Xbox 2 (or whatever half assed open world game title you could insert in here). Tech will get better (it always does), it's seeing how a company works with the tech they have that shows a studios talent. Monolith Soft is an exceptional development studio.

I wouldn't even call them exceptional. But they have their priorities in check. I've always said this and I'll reiterate it for good measure - the only reasons I accept 30fps without complaint is when a developer is attempting something so ambitious from a gameplay perspective that it would be nearly impossible to accomplish at 60fps without severely detremental impact on some other aspect of the game.

XCX is one such example, and they handled themselves marvelously. Bravo.

Stable framerate is clearly what they're going for, and they clearly got that goal. Only thing that bothers me is the pop-in.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

This game speaks wonderfully about the developer, but it does show the dated hardware on the wii u.

Hearing the amount of "cuts" that needed to be made wasn't fun (due mostly because of the wii u), but the fact that they were made in the first place, for gameplay, really shows that monolith has their priorities in order.

Looks impressive overall.

Can't wait for this game!

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Very solid indeed apart for one area when it drops to 21fps though it's obvious a lot of visual downgrade were made to achieve such performance. I like more the fact that it is seamless which makes this title the only open world that is completely seamless this gen.

Wasn't expecting less, I'm so hyped for this game! Can't wait to play it!
I hope it sells well, the reviews have been amazing so far I hope people buy this.
I don't know if Nintendo is advertising this game, I almost never watch tv, and today I turned on the tv and in half an hour I've seen ads for Animal Crossing amiibo Festival twice! Incredible right? XD
On topic, this video is amazing, it explains things perfectly! I didn't know you could play with the camera so much . Also I think pop-in won't be a problem to me, as it was already in Xenoblade, and if it helps the game to play better I'm ok with that.

bigtakilla said:
JRPGfan said:
Glad its rock solid at 30.
Sad they had to use so many differnt ways to keep it there, with the graphics they have.
It talks to the shortcomeings of the Wii Us performance, if this game had been on a PS4, there wouldnt have been alot of those issues, and the game could most likely have looked alot better.

That said... Im getting this game :)
I loved the first one on the wii.

But as with everything, the flaws only serve to show what the future holds. The fact that it has a stable framerate, and actually works with what it does accomplish graphically makes me far more excited about the NX Xenoblade than whatever Assassin's Creed they announce for the PS5 Xbox 2 (or whatever half assed open world game title you could insert in here). Tech will get better (it always does), it's seeing how a company works with the tech they have that shows a studios talent. Monolith Soft is an exceptional development studio.

This I agree with 100%.

They do amasing work, and look forwards to more titles from them over the years to come.