By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How is it possible that the X1 and PS4 are already basically the same price as a Wii U?

gaming on Nintendo systems is expensive, they keep the price of their games high for very long time, they seek their accessories for tons of money... There is really nothing new to this...some people really do prefer their games enough to put up with it..

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
Ruler said:

The gamepad is 80-100$ and the controllers are under 20$ to produce

Whe wii u gamepad is $20 to produce? If so Nintendo is good at making money lol. If you mean the pro controllers then i guess that was already inferred. 

I would be surprised if it cost them much money to make this piece of garbage, the plastic is cheap (it feels cheap anyways) the screen is rather low Resolution, the battery doesn't last long (I.e. it's small) there is barely any processing done on the device (so it has a decoder chip + some custom wireless hardware... I'd be very surprised if they spent more than 40$ on this, seeing how cheap knock off tablets can be, they charge you for the logo...

surpasse

im going to be bold and say its a small goldbar hidden deep within the entrails of the console that makes it so expensive.

Hunting Season is done...

Ruler said:
jason1637 said:
Wii U gamepad is like 80-150$ compared to x1 and ps4 controllers which are $50.

And it's sold for 80 in Japan, so they are making a hefty loss overall?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Zoombael said:
im going to be bold and say its a small goldbar hidden deep within the entrails of the console that makes it so expensive.

Only way to justify that I can imagine.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Gamepad

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

Miyamotoo said:
Eddie_Raja said:

Do you have a quote on how much it costs today?!  Otherwise I have to assume $50.

Build costs of Wii U gamepad were around $80 in 2012, today build costs are probably around $50-60, Wii U pro controller build cost are around $15, so today without Wii U gamepad we could have around $50 Wii U lower price at most. So its not like that Wii U would have price of $150 like people are assuming, buy official price around $250 instead current $300 definitely.

I completely believe Nintendo should be selling the Wii U with a Pro Controller instead of a gamepad for $150.  That is how much that console is worth, and the longer they wait, the more they become irrelivant. 

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

G-A-M-E-P-A-D
G-A-M-E-P-A-D
G-A-M-E-P-A-D

Is also has some greta games and nintt¿endo has no reason to lowr the price but the ohter 2 have

SpokenTruth said:
BoM's in early 2012 suggested a $50 Wii U Gamepad cost. No way it's still $50 today unless they signed price locked deals with all their vendors and nobody does that anymore.

You're the only sane man in this thread.

jason1637 said:
Ruler said:

Whe wii u gamepad is $20 to produce? If so Nintendo is good at making money lol. If you mean the pro controllers then i guess that was already inferred. 

It well known that Sony, MS and espacily Nintendo have biggest profit on console peripherals, Wii U Pro costs build are around $15 and they selling it for $60, similar is with Wii Remote and they are sold in tens of millions, Nintendo maked fortune on Wii peripherals.