By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - What are some great ways America could easily take in the worlds refugees? Opportunities?

Lawlight said:
sc94597 said:

The economy isn't a zero-sum game. Often immigration creates more opportunities, especially for people interested in higher-level positions. 

Your solution costs a larger drain on the economy than just letting people come here and make something of themselves (like all of our ancestors have done.) The protection, food, water, etc will be funded by taxpayer dollars and/or inflation. Both of these harm the livelihood of American taxpayers much more than the small possibility that somebody who doesn't speak English and doesn't have any first-world skills: technical or labor, will steal jobs from Americans. These people who come here will have to create new jobs to survive that take advantage of their culture and their skills.

Ther'e's a difference between a refugee and a skilled migrant. In Australia. 60% of refugees could not get a job after 5 years in the country and just live off of the tax payer's money.

Which is my point. They aren't going to get a job unless they build their own business or develope their skills as many other immigrants do. For example, I recently read a story about Iranian-Americans who have a family rug making business fighting eminent domain. In the U.S there aren't as extensive welfare programs that refugees can take advantage of, so in order to survive they are going to have to be innovative and creative like the thousands of immigrants (many of whom were refugees from religious persecution) that have come here in the past. Also half of the funds to bring them here are privately contributed. I can see Syrian restaurants, Syrian crafts and materials, etc becoming a thing here like the many other cultural businesses. That should be enough to sustain themselves for a generation, and then future generations become americanized. The issue for Europe (asylum) is different from the issue for the U.S (refugees) in both scope and the type of people coming over, as well as the nature of business and overall economic differences. 

Around the Network

OdinHades said:
How about stopping to bomb half the world for ridiculous reasons?

Seriously though, we need to come up with a solution for the syrian crisi. Not just the US, but also europe and russia. If you ask me, it isn't THAT important for now if Assad stays president or not. Just get rid of ISIS first, try to bring some stability into the region and argue about the details afterwards. Until nothing happens in this regard, refugees will keep coming and there's no perfect way of handling all of the people. But at the very least, every single refugee should be treated as a human being.

That said, as a country consisting of 99 % immigrants in the first place, it would be nice if the US started to take in refugees AT ALL. =P

So much this; let's stop creating refugees to begin with. And this entire mindset of "we'll just set them to menial labor with low pay" thinking is exactly the type of mentality that causes people to shrug at these conflicts, their lives aren't worth anything to us.
A friend of mine asked me why no one cares about children being bombed in Syria or people getting wiped out in suicide raids in Lebanon; I said that that's because most of us don't go shopping and drinking cafe latte in these areas on our vacations, we're just unable to connect the dots emotionally and politically.

I also love modern democracy; its primary function is becoming building up ignorant societies with great military influence and the proceeding to carpet bomb other cultures to show them how great democracy is and convince them to join the cause.

God bless out hearts.

Mummelmann said:

And this entire mindset of "we'll just set them to menial labor with low pay"

To be fair, it isn't something specific to them. Pretty much every immigrant to a new country who already started out in poverty -- starts with these types of jobs. Most end up very successful in the end as they are hard working and can move up the economic ladder, and their children benefit from it. The biggest problem I can see with the OP's idea of allowing refugees to make less than minimum wage is that it would create a price-floor for everyone else and allow the refugees to be more competitive for jobs because they can price themselves less than others. This is not a good idea, and it wouldn't do well to assimilate them this way (it would cause animosity on both ends.) They should be subject to the same policies as other immigrants once they are here. They shouldn't get any more benefits or any fewer. Right now, they do get some benefits that immigrants don't get, which is a shame. But that isn't reason enough to keep them out. 

I agree 100% with the other points. Most of the problems in the Middle East are blowback from 80 years of Western involvement according to the policy of Wilsonianism.