By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Woman and children first off a sinking ship. Gender equality...?

Should the case be...

Let the 100 women get the... 90 24.13%

Let the 100 men get the l... 31 8.31%

Split the lifeboats 50/50 between the adults. 168 45.04%

Let everyone drown because I can't decide. 84 22.52%

Total:373
Ajax said:

So there is no gender equality here, and thats a fact.
Men cant give birth to children.

We men, should not let feminists or women in general or other men influence our actions in a negative way.
We are men, we will save children and women first.
I'm not gonna stop behaving like a man in any way, because of whatever other people say or think. So stop pointing at women like crybabies.

Thats what being a real man is about. Just having a penis does not make you a real man.
Only your actions do.

no i say that a real man must be no less than 6 feet tall, must be able to bench press 200 pounds and must have a penis of no less than 9 inches

i can play that silly game too, well actually anyone can

Around the Network
nanarchy said:
I am old fashioned, the women and children are getting on the boats, I would physically restrain/beat any man that decided otherwise if I was there. Having said that I have no issue with the feminists volunteering up their place for a man in the spirit of equality.

So let me get this straight. Someone disagrees with your absurd notion that no men should survive, because, well that's like just your opinion man. But not only do you vehemently disagree (without any semblance of justification mind you), but physically assault any individual whom disagrees.

You're exactly the type of human who should be locked away far away from civilized society.

HollyGamer said:
Derek89 said:

I grew with both my mom and my dad and I don't think I would "easily" choose one or the other. It seems you base your opinion on this matter from your religion and I don't share your faith, so I'm afraid I can't empathize with you in that regard, but I've never felt that my dad was any less "full of love" than my mom. Sure, I admire them in different ways, because they taught me different things, like my dad taught me about selfesteem and how to protect myself and my mom taught me about self control and forgiving. I admire my parents in different ways, but in no way I admire and love one more than I admire and love the other.

Anyways, we're going off-topic there.

All I'm saying is that the worth of a human life has no gender. That is what I think, in this matter, is true equality.

of course , i dont care if you are not viewing the same faith with me, it just that my religion is have the same tendency to treat woman nicely more then man, and also i believe in equality on right but the execution and the procedure is diffrent (remember woman is different from man even if  the woman is capable woman), if my father were there  he be willing to give the boat to my mother and me.

Really? Is that the same religion that condemns rape victims to be whipped?

I don't think gender should decide whether you get a seat or not. I'm pretty sure that mentality is dead already though (assuming it ever existed). These days it's survival of the fittest, the strong punch their way through the weak.

Meh, got interested and did some googling...

"A study of 18 catastrophes over the past 300 years was carried out by Swedish researchers Mikael Elinder and Oscar Erixon and shows that captains and their crew are 18.7 per cent more likely to survive a shipwreck than their passengers.

This can be seen most recently with the Costa Concordia's Captain Francesco Schettino who fled before passengers were able to get off the boat when it foundered off the Tuscan coast on January 13 this year.

A rock tore a gash in its side, letting water flood into the engine rooms and causing the vessel to capsize. Twenty eight people lost their lives.

The researchers analysed some of the world's most famous disasters, ranging from the HMS Birkenhead that grounded in the Indian Ocean in 1852 to the MV Bulgaria tourist ship that sank on Russia's Volga River last year. 

Out of 15,000 people who died in 18 sinkings, only 17.8 per cent of woman survived compared with 34.5 per cent of men.

In three of the shipwrecks, all of the women died, Elinder said. 

The report also referred to the Titanic, which sank in the North Atlantic in the early morning of April 15, 1912. 

The researchers, from Uppsala University, called the Titanic an exception to their findings, mainly because its captain, Edward Smith, threatened to shoot men if they tried to board the lifeboats before women and children. 

Of the 1,496 people that perished with the Titanic, 73.3 percent of the women and 50.4 percent of the children survived compared to only 20.7 percent of the men. 

Capt. Smith went down with his ship.

The report says: 'Evidence from the Titanic is not representative of maritime disasters in general.'

Captains gave orders to prioritise the rescue of women and children in only five of the 18 disasters. 

Wide disparities between the sexes were found in the 1994 sinking of the MS Estonia in the Baltic Sea, which killed 852 people. 

Only 5.4 percent of the women onboard survived, compared to 22 percent of the men. 

The researchers noted that men, thanks to their physical strength, have better chances of surviving than women, barring self-sacrifice."

Git outta mah way, woman!

When it comes to life and death, gender equality must be put aside in the favour of mankind's future, namely women and children. As long as one lone man or a child that can grow up to be a man still walk the face of the earth those men aboard that ship are worthless, and they should know it.

Around the Network

Was having a chat about this with my better half last night and she raised and funny point about the "bring 99 women and 1 man to help repopulate" like... even if the guy was the best Doctor in the world think about what you are suggesting you'll end up with here, if the guy was to indeed try to get each of the Women pregnant what the situation on the island or w/e you've landed at will be. in at most a 1 month period, 9 months down the line you're going to have as many able women so heavily pregnant or going into labour, with just 1 guy running about trying to forage for food for them all? and then you have 1 guy running about trying to do that after the children are born having to provide for almost 200 others somewhere without civilization?

Not to mention just how many would die during childbirth considering that until relatively recently that was the main cause of death in women, so you would make your survival chances on a desert island scenario absolutely abysmal by bringing the biggest "re population" amount of people

Please note here, I'm not suggesting that any of the female crew or passengers in this event would not also be capable doctors, but when going for the "1man can impregnate all the women so that is all the men you need" then that is heading to a scenario of a lot of pregnancies for repopulating if you were aiming to build a civilization fast... obviously what would naturally happen is that some would have kids and others would not... but if that was the case then it makes little sense to bring the max amount of wombs, was my point.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Megadeath said:

When it comes to life and death, gender equality must be put aside in the favour of mankind's future, namely women and children. As long as one lone man or a child that can grow up to be a man still walk the face of the earth those men aboard that ship are worthless, and they should know it.

1 man, have kids with every women on Earth, Next generation.... everyone is Brothers and Sisters genetically.

You've not thought this through now have you?

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Megadeath said:

Not trying to insult anyone with this, but I'm starting to see a pattern in here when people try to validate their argument for their choice of women and children over men as if these ships contain whole human kind as almost as to excuse this thought of male disposability, or how Megadeath calls us,  "worthless", in the current day as "necessary", and the pattern is pretty pathetic.

Well, what can we expect from a culture that outright ignores men's suicide rates, work fatalities, poberty, education, fatherhood without consent and rape in favour of how women are represented in make believe entertainment, because that's a real problem...

Derek89 said:
Megadeath said:

Not trying to insult anyone with this, but I'm starting to see a pattern in here when people try to validate their argument for their choice of women and children over men as if these ships contain whole human kind as almost as to excuse this thought of male disposability, or how Megadeath calls us,  "worthless", in the current day as "necessary", and the pattern is pretty pathetic.

Well, what can we expect from a culture that outright ignores men's suicide rates, work fatalities, poberty, education, fatherhood without consent and rape in favour of how women are represented in make believe entertainment, because that's a real problem...

Not to mention who would open all the jars or take care of spiders on the island?

Joking aside tho I agree with you of course, anyone with the mindset that a human without a womb is worthless is pretty disgusting, just even the fact that someone thinks that way about other humans really pains me to think what goes on in the mind of a woman who has to get a Hysterectomy for any reason thinking that they are now "worthless" as a human being.... horrible.

Is it possible this is done because grown men have a chance of survival if the ship sinks before they can get off?