By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii shortages to continue for 6 months, PS3, 360 price cut expected

GameStop COO Dan DeMatteo anticipates shortages of the Nintendo Wii to continue for at least six months, MCV reports.

Speaking on an investor's conference call about inventory expectations in 2008, DeMatteo stated that he expects the retailer's supplies of the Nintendo Wii to fall short of demand for "the next two quarters at the least.

"Supplies have continually improved," DeMatteo added. "But we still don't know when supply will meet demand for the Nintendo Wii as they continue to sell out as soon as they hit the shelves."

Keeping up with outrageous demand for the Wii has proven difficult for retailers. Across the year of 2007, there were only three instances when the Wii and the Nintendo DS were not the month's top two best-selling pieces of hardware in North America.

GameStop CFO David Carlson added that the company also expects substantial price cuts for consoles in the coming year. "We've assumed a couple [of price cuts]," Carlson said. "The Xbox [360] and the PS3 have a $50 price cut sometime in the year. We have no knowledge or verification of those, but that's just the assumption we have used."

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/51841

Around the Network

Wow, they are all going to be pissed that GS is blabbing. Obviously the 360 cut has been looming (see: Europe) and Sony isn't going to let MS get the upper hand, but I'd bet that's not info Nintendo wants floating around. I wonder if that's just his guess, or if Nintendo has said they can't really send more units anytime soon.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

Yeah I read that. I figured that a lot of people on this site like to pretend that the Wii shortage is a myth and that this article wasn't going to convince them otherwise, so I decided not to post it.

Also, I don't think news that people are buying your crap so fast, you can't produce enough is gonna hurt Wii sales, Chichiri. Expecially for the next 6 months when they can't meet demand, lol.

What's foolish about this article is, that "6 months" puts the time supply is caught up, in Q4, near thanksgiving and the holiday season, where supply certainly won't keep up with demand for the hottest consoles, so it would be wiser for them to say 2009.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

i dont think anyone on this site has illusions about the wii not selling out, or there being some kind of microsoft - like problem with Nintendo. They are selling out, and it is great for Nintendo.
And the minute they stop selling, Nintendo has a lot of options (like introducing new color/game bundles), which will spur demand again before they ever cut the price.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

Its March, Shortages into September? If thats the case, thats so close to the holidays that by the time the shortages are supposed to be letting up, the Q3 and Q4 games will be incoming along with Holiday demand which will just spike it right back up into the "sold out" area.

If they make it through to 2009 still sold out and short of demand, that would be insane.