By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Price: PC games vs. Console games

Mummelmann said:
Most new games on Steam, on day one, cost me around 50 euros, same goes for GOG that I use a lot. Console games here are 600SEK retail and digital while 50 euros is roughly 470SEK in today's exchange, that's almost 25% difference in price on day one and the difference is even bigger down the line and prices tend to go down faster on PC title as well.
Console games cost more, pure and simple, I bought a bunch of Platinum releases for my PS3 when I bought it, but they were still 15£ at the cheapest (ordered from England), which was about 160-170NOK (lived in Norway then) while bargain bin or digital sales PC titles of similar caliber were easily in the 10€ category, making them essentially almost half price, some could even be as cheap as 5€.

Whether or not something is worth it though, is up to each gamer to decide. And with all that said; I rarely buy games day one since I don't think it's worth it in most cases.
Even if prices were the exact same for software as well, I'd still be a PC gamer simply because I prefer it in every way.

Most new releases I've seen that I go for are usually cheaper on Steam compared to console sales. The one difference for say battlefront is the digital version costs way more than physical but even then it;s still more expensive with consoles and with digital download sites like GMG and DLgames I can get more of a price cut before the game is even out.

Also like you said with the multiple sales on GoG, then of course there's Origin giving out free games (without a sub payment required) and the same for Steam.

I also do the same for brand new releases, when they are $30+ I generally wait for them to lower down because I don't always think they are worth it in most cases. Starcraft II's last expansion was an exception for it's digital deluxe content and being the last for the 2nd game's story along with providing me with content that spans across  5 of Blizzard's games.

I just in general see and feel that games on PC are cheaper in the long run than consoles will ever be, the two are never going to be exactly the same no matter how hard someone tries to say they are. PC's even have the edge against consoles in terms of digital pricing while consoles have yet to fully catch up to that, let alone go more into the digital realm than staying with more physical (digital haters are going to have fun times ahead with the ever growing digital era of gaming).

I do wonder when the next thread will pit us with "PC vs consoles, HDD prices, PC vs consoles: gamepad prices". The two are never going to be the same in the end either way.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

Well PC games are cheaper through steam as digital as an initial purchase but I find that buying games for Xbox/PS4 is cheaper in the long run with the resale of physical editions.

When I look through my steam library I have 100's of ££ worth of "dead" games that I won't ever play again compared to buying a PS4 game for £37 and then reselling it 1-2 months after playing at the content for £25-£30 where as I've got a whole bunch of £20 -£40 games in my steam library that will never be installed or played again.

Even when you buy games for £3-£5 in the big steam sales again your left with a "dead digital purchase" in the end as you can usually grab that same game for

Sprash said:

You say there is no contest just to say that it's going to take longer for games on consoles to lower the price? So to get the games on consoles for the same price as pc you just have to wait longer?

I see it is really indisputable with no contest^^

So you agree with me?

No. If we are talking about waiting then everything gets cheaper in time. but to be fair, let's look at the facts.

A game comes out today. Digitally or physically it will cost more on consoles than it does on PC. In 2 months, that game would have seen its first price drop on PC and maybe even the second. On consoles it would still cost the same. When on consoles you can get thegame for about half price, on PC the same game will still cost less.

Waiting for price drops is a two way street. it constantly affects both platforms. And the lowest low a game will officially go on consoles, will never be as low as the lowest low they will go on PCs. Unless you start talking about the used market. But that's not pricing based on any kinda official capacity. hell the publishers don't get anything from those.

zero129 said:
Lawlight said:
Just checked the price of Assassin's Creed: Syndicate - $59.99 on PS4 at GameStop and PSN but $60.95 on Steam.
The Witcher 3 is AU$89.99 on GoG but $77.00 at EbGames.

Thats odd. ACS is showing as 59.99$ for me on the us steam store. where you getting them prices from??.

Well whadyyaknow.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

zero129 said:
Lawlight said:
Just checked the price of Assassin's Creed: Syndicate - $59.99 on PS4 at GameStop and PSN but $60.95 on Steam.

Thats odd. ACS is showing as 59.99$ for me on the us steam store. where you getting them prices from??.

From Steam itself - http://store.steampowered.com/app/368500/

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
Sprash said:

You say there is no contest just to say that it's going to take longer for games on consoles to lower the price? So to get the games on consoles for the same price as pc you just have to wait longer?

I see it is really indisputable with no contest^^

So you agree with me?

No. If we are talking about waiting then everything gets cheaper in time. but to be fair, let's look at the facts.

A game comes out today. Digitally or physically it will cost more on consoles than it does on PC. In 2 months, that game would have seen its first price drop on PC and maybe even the second. On consoles it would still cost the same. When on consoles you can get thegame for about half price, on PC the same game will still cost less.

Waiting for price drops is a two way street. it constantly affects both platforms. And the lowest low a game will officially go on consoles, will never be as low as the lowest low they will go on PCs. Unless you start talking about the used market. But that's not pricing based on any kinda official capacity. hell the publishers don't get anything from those.

But that really differs from game to game, there are also many games cheaper on consoles than pc and vice versa (like you said you can't say that the pc is cheaper if you wait longer^^)

So in the end you agree with me, right?

In the UK new pc games on steam cost £40 and on amazon new console games arearound £40 so it's the same for me.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

I still remember when I pre-ordered The Witcher 2. I got the first game and the Witcher 2 for like 30$, I missed out on The Witcher 3 deals Gog did sadly. Didn't they sell that at like 45 bucks before the game released? PC has huge deals all the time doesn't mean it will land on a game your interested in.

Getting to the point, I have extreme doubts purchasing games on console will ever be as cheap as PC and for good reason it takes more money for publishers to put their games on PlayStation or Xbox which is why in some cases there's been multi-platform titles that made more money on PC then consoles despite selling more copy's on consoles.

Overall, I don't really see why it matters IMO. Most the time, PC players also have consoles... Not like we get away from the pricing regardless of if its better on PC specifically.

Chazore said:
zero129 said:
Lawlight said:

Well whadyyaknow.

And still cheaper physically on the PS4.

Most new games are cheaper on consoles in Canada. Fallout 4 is CAD 80 digital on Steam, CAD 78 for the physical edition at retail. Sure you can buy a PC digital key for less on the grey market (CAD 58 atm) Yet you can also trade in or sell the physical edition for an even bigger 'discount'. I rather have the physical edition with the few extras it still brings than an activation code.

Sometimes physical console is way cheaper. Book of unwritten tales 2 was $20 for ps4 at retail, still $38 on Steam. Steam is a rip off unless you wait for sales. Of course console games get cheap too. Some ps3 games are already down to a dollar second hand, older gens you can pick up a bunch for next to nothing. Consoles can't beat humble bundles though, and Steam sales are more convenient than browsing second hand collections. It's more fun to look through those racks of old games though, all the memories :)