By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Where Is The Hype for Dark Souls III?

Where Is The Hype?

Traveling around the world 10 11.49%

Sinking in Anor Londo 11 12.64%

Dead 26 29.89%

Waiting to be awaken 40 45.98%

Total:87

wait for 2016.
where is the hype for tomb raider or halo 5? thats the question here nowhere to be found.
would not make sense to advertise it now, because fallout star wars and so on are out and are the actual games. they wait until 2016 and then you have your hype

Around the Network
Ruler said:

People dont like the chalice dungeons because they are ungratefull.

No, people don't like chalice dungeons because we expect a bare minimun with certain games, especially with Souls. I get it, you love Bloodborne, and you love Chalice Dungeons, but doesn't mean everyone does, and Chalice Dungeons are not seen as good as how Miyazaki planned it out to be on the general community.

The original Mass Effect had dozens of planets you could explore, but they were the same bloody thing over and over with minor differences. That's not making the game deeper, that's plain and simple padding. There's a distinctive difference between having more places to explore and having quality places to explore. Bloodborne main world and hubs are terrific. Bloodborne chalice dungeons are a terrible drag, that repeats over and over and over again painting the walls with different colours or swapping one corridor for another before puting the same areas again.

The original Dark Souls still features what I consider one of the most exemplary worlds and dungeons design I've ever come across in any game. Bloodborne's main game features some incredible detailed gothic world for us to enjoy. Demon's Souls had that characteristic eery medieval fantasy thing that made it stand out from many other games in its era. Dark Souls 2 kept the tradition of Dark Souls 1, and even if its map wasn't as detailed or as well-constructed, it was a joy to explore.

But the Chalice Dungeons? All I can think of is "oh, here's this pit with a cage on top of it, bet if I drop down and walk forward there are the rats...oh yeah, there's the rats there. Climbing stairs? Bet there's a bell summ...oh yes, there's the bell summoner there. The same bosses than in the main game? Oh well, good job From". Not only that, but they had the balls to lock an important piece of the lore behind the final Pthumeru Chalice, which you have to do some heavy grinding in order to get to, not to mention having to enter other Chalices to farm items to enter this last one. A terrible idea. Overcoming challenges is what people like from these "Souls-like" games, not having to sit down and do the same thing over and over and over to get one simple item.

And Chalice Dungeons have another huge problem, which is they don't scale to the player's level. Play Chalice Dungeons in NG+ like I did, and not only they're a drag but they're extremely easy, minus Defiled and his obssession to halve my HP.

Playing through Bloodborne now makes me miss Souls. I like this, but it really is Souls lite. Not nearly as punishing, not nearly as many builds, content, etc. 20 blood vials at the start of the game is literally nonsense for balance.

It'll get hyped up in a couple months once Bloodborne is officially dead. Either that or they've burned their bridge too quick like they did with Armored Core.

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

Wright said:
Ruler said:

People dont like the chalice dungeons because they are ungratefull.

No, people don't like chalice dungeons because we expect a bare minimun with certain games, especially with Souls. I get it, you love Bloodborne, and you love Chalice Dungeons, but doesn't mean everyone does, and Chalice Dungeons are not seen as good as how Miyazaki planned it out to be on the general community.

The original Mass Effect had dozens of planets you could explore, but they were the same bloody thing over and over with minor differences. That's not making the game deeper, that's plain and simple padding. There's a distinctive difference between having more places to explore and having quality places to explore. Bloodborne main world and hubs are terrific. Bloodborne chalice dungeons are a terrible drag, that repeats over and over and over again painting the walls with different colours or swapping one corridor for another before puting the same areas again.

The original Dark Souls still features what I consider one of the most exemplary worlds and dungeons design I've ever come across in any game. Bloodborne's main game features some incredible detailed gothic world for us to enjoy. Demon's Souls had that characteristic eery medieval fantasy thing that made it stand out from many other games in its era. Dark Souls 2 kept the tradition of Dark Souls 1, and even if its map wasn't as detailed or as well-constructed, it was a joy to explore.

But the Chalice Dungeons? All I can think of is "oh, here's this pit with a cage on top of it, bet if I drop down and walk forward there are the rats...oh yeah, there's the rats there. Climbing stairs? Bet there's a bell summ...oh yes, there's the bell summoner there. The same bosses than in the main game? Oh well, good job From". Not only that, but they had the balls to lock an important piece of the lore behind the final Pthumeru Chalice, which you have to do some heavy grinding in order to get to, not to mention having to enter other Chalices to farm items to enter this last one. A terrible idea. Overcoming challenges is what people like from these "Souls-like" games, not having to sit down and do the same thing over and over and over to get one simple item.

And Chalice Dungeons have another huge problem, which is they don't scale to the player's level. Play Chalice Dungeons in NG+ like I did, and not only they're a drag but they're extremely easy, minus Defiled and his obssession to halve my HP.

You and other Dark Souls fans maybe but people who started first with Bloodbornes see chalice dungeons as a huge extra content. It has exclsuive bosses, enemies, assets and design. You cant really think they are a waste of time if you see something completley different to the main game, its not comparable to mass effect. 

They have a lot of secrets and stuff you will only see in chalice dungeons and like i said if you have beaten the game several times chalice dungeons offer you the less repetitive experience, its a fact.

But youre right fromsoftware rather listens to people like you so we will never see the chalice dungeons being expanded and improved on, in fact they could be even better. Like making open air chalice dungeons and more complex levels and architecture could be generated by the computer. But no lets rather wait and spend money for next souls game in 2 years..because free and edless content is bad.

Around the Network
Ruler said:

You and other Dark Souls fans maybe but people who started first with Bloodbornes see chalice dungeons as a huge extra content. It has exclsuive bosses, enemies, assets and design. You cant really think they are a waste of time if you see something completley different to the main game, its not comparable to mass effect. 

They have a lot of secrets and stuff you will only see in chalice dungeons and like i said if you have beaten the game several times chalice dungeons offer you the less repetitive experience, its a fact.

You're pretty much the only person I know who loves Chalice Dungeons, as far as I know. Doesn't matter if it's Dark Souls, Demon's Souls or Bloodborne fans.

Lots of secrets? I can only think of two. An exclusive weapon, and an exclusive ring who does nothing save for mocking the player in a certain conversation. Then there's a bunch of weapons which are the same as the main game counterpart with minor differences, and some powerful blood gems behind the incredible amount of material grinding you'll have to do to reach the higher tier Chalice Dungeons.

Again, you see completely different things to the main game when you explore planets in Mass Effect. It's the same thing than Chalice Dungeons, really. Heck, you even fight exclusive bosses in those planets. Doesn't make them any less of a chore, or a drag.

Less repetitive? They're repetitive once you've beaten one. Doesn't make it any less interesting, doing the second, or even third chalice. But they're the same thing, over and over, that's a fact. You don't have to believe me, but you can check the wiki if you want, which breaks down how it works and the key rooms that are always generated no matter what. It's no different than the main campaign since you want to compare it so much, because once you see the corridor connecting zones or the strange room with upwards stairs, or the pit, you've seen it all. That's basically what "procedurally generated dungeon" always translates to; "everything looks the same, always". Instead of designing a bunch of unique dungeons, they just design a handful of rooms that switch around whenever you enter a room. Even root chalices can't escape from this, which merely switch those rooms over and over.

Ruler said:

But youre right fromsoftware rather listens to people like you so we will never see the chalice dungeons being expanded and improved on, in fact they could be even better. Like making open air chalice dungeons and more complex levels and architecture could be generated by the computer. But no lets rather wait and spend money for next souls game in 2 years..because free and edless content is bad.

You seem to misunderstand me. I don't complain so it gets removed entirely forever. I complain because I want to see a better iteration of it. You're pretty much the conformist here, who's glad Miyazaki did some shitty job and justifies it by saying "Free and endless content" instead of, you know, give it some thoughts and analysis. C'mon, Ruler. It's a good thing to like content in games, or liking eternal grinds, but being openly critic of the system's flaws is something everyone should do.

Don't send Miyazaki the wrong message saying "Chalice Dungeons are the best thing ever", because they're not. They're lazy, they lack that masterful development design From Software is capable of, and recycles tons of bosses besides adding some new ones. It's a painful display of laziness, from a company that's not known for it. Heck, they don't even escalate to the player's level, so have fun obliterating everything from that "endless content" aside from the Defilled chalices.

And it's even worse: Chalice Dungeons, which are an important part of the lore, don't even have subtle instances of narrative. There's nothing in there, really. You get to the Final Pthumeru boss, kill it and it's like "here's some blood thingy as a memento, thanks 4 playing dem chalices".

Paatar said:
Bloodborne took all the hype from it I'm assuming.

The new Download content is getting great reviews too. Gametrailers had a good video on it.