By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pachter Believes The Nintendo NX Will Cost Around $299

Do you think Patcher is right?

Yes, other price would be a wrong move. 94 28.75%

No, it will be more expensive. 79 24.16%

No, it will be cheaper. 30 9.17%

No, because Patcher said it. 100 30.58%

Is this a NX thread? The ... 24 7.34%

Total:327
spemanig said:
Miyamotoo said:

Nintendo had so many patents this year, do you really think every single one will be used in NX!?

Again, I didn't see that an article mentioned screen unit in dev kits.

You don't have any fact, just asumings and rumours.

Literally every single article on the subject mentions it. All of them.

"The Wall Street Journal sources have said that the console will include a "mobile unit that could either be used in conjunction with the console or taken on the road for separate use"

"A separate mobile unit could also fit the description of the touchscreen-based controller that Nintendo recently patented, that also has shoulder scroll wheels."

(http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-10-16-nintendo-now-handing-out-nx-console-developer-kits-report)

But sure. Those sources are lying and why just know nothing about the NX. I'll just be totally suprised next year when the NX launches with a screened controller. Nothing hinting at it before hand at all.

"Mobile unit" from that that WSJ article is obvious handheld, handheld with have integration with home console, nothing points that is controller with screen.

And I already wrote about Nintendo patents this year, they are so much of them, I dont think all of them will be part of NX.

So yes, nothing is confirmed yet, also why would NIntendo again include gamepad in bundle when totally failed with Wii U!? They will certainly not make same mistake two times in a row.

Around the Network
haxxiy said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
Soundwave said:

$300 isn't a huge number, if people aren't willing to buy your product at $300, it means most likely it doesn't have great mass appeal to begin with.

Even the Wii, which was $250 at launch, with inflation taken into account, that's a shade over $295 in 2015 dollars. 

Inflation doesn't matter to the consumer. People don't look at a sticker price and go "Well, it's X amount of dollars, but... given inflation bla bla bla." That's not now it works. People assign STICKER PRICES to certain things and don't budge from it. 

Game consoles will never sell well if they go beyond a certain price point, inflation or not.

Never is a rather long time. Standards change with inflation. The New York Times costed a penny a hundred years ago and now it is 250 times more expensive. A few thousand dollars were a reasonable fortune and could buy you a home. Just grab a supermarket leaflet from 10, 15 years ago and see how your own standards changed a little, even if subconsciously.

Or look here - http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/2011/05/05/10-everyday-grocery-items/

There is absolutely zero evidence whatsoever to corroborate your theory. And in fact, your smug tone makes it rather pleasurable to point out how you post stuff that works only in your imagination.

This isn't black and white. Some things people tolerate, some things they don't. Video games, or should I say, core gamers, live inside of a vacuum. This is why games don't cost $150.00 (that is what they would cost today if inflation kept up with the market since the 80's). Gamers have an idea of what they're willing to pay and don't give two shits about inflation. The Atari 2600 was a smash hit, and it retailed for $199.99 in 1977. Do you know what that would cost today? Nearly $800.00. Are gamers willing to pay that? No? Why? Because they have placed a sticker value on a console and aren't willing to go much beyond that, inflation or not.

And as far as you taking joy in attempting to humiliate other people... you might want to chill on that for your own good. The road of a schadenfreude is usually a progressively narrowing pathway to nothing.

spemanig said:
Miyamotoo said:

Patents doesn't proves nothing, Nintendo has so many patents just this year. Devs kit that confirmed that!? First time hearing about that.

Yes they do. And every article of the dev kits mention a screen unit. You can ignore the facts and pretend they don't matter, or you can use deductive reasoning and come to the obvious conclusion.

I deduce that their next console won't have a gamepad based on the fact that their current console sold worse than any other home console in their long, illustrious history and featured one.

Operant conditioning.

AlfredoTurkey said:
spemanig said:

Yes they do. And every article of the dev kits mention a screen unit. You can ignore the facts and pretend they don't matter, or you can use deductive reasoning and come to the obvious conclusion.

I deduce that their next console won't have a gamepad based on the fact that their current console sold worse than any other home console in their long, illustrious history and featured one.

Operant conditioning.

Couldn't they have a controller with a screen that isn't agamepad? Imagine for a moment that the PS4 dualshocker, instead of having that touchscreen, is a fully functional screen with touch capabilities. Granted, the controler would have to be a bit bigger, but if Nintendo decides to use something like the GameCube controller (which has a lot of unused space on the center) it could work. Look at how much space does the GC controller has:

Enough space to get to work with a second screen. And if you want to use a bigger screen, you could get the handheld NX as a controller, just like the 3DS with Smash Bros U.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

If this rumour is true then I will buy it day one !