By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Forbes: PS4 is terrorist communication device

Maybe they would have used Xbones if it wasn't made out to be a spying device with all the Kinect shit. Let's blame the media for this.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
Around the Network

I find this article poorly researched and I am inclined to believe it is all made up when clearly PS3 would be the better choice

as

jlmurph2 said:

But the game is what's blamed, not the console itself. The reason PS4 is aimed at here is because there's not any games mentioned. If Xbox Live itself was used by school shooters to communicate plans to shoot up schools then yeah, Xbox should be a target.

"Without speaking or typing..." kinetic is terrorist weapon confirmed?

Bryank75 said:
Dr.Vita said:
Terrorists need water to live.
People shouldn't drink water anymore...

Nice. 

Isnt it amazing how the media have tried to link PlayStation to "terror" for at least two generations now. I'm sure many terrorists own apple and Samsung products.... Why do we never hear about them? 

Apparently Toyota is the biggest supporter and financial beneficiary of terror (and rebel) groups. They do love their Hiluxes.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

OneKartVita said:
jlmurph2 said:

But the game is what's blamed, not the console itself. The reason PS4 is aimed at here is because there's not any games mentioned. If Xbox Live itself was used by school shooters to communicate plans to shoot up schools then yeah, Xbox should be a target.

Do they have proof the ps4 was used for that?  And do they have proof the school shooters didn't talk about it on live?  

It's fine reporting it as part of what they found but making a standalone article focusing only on the Ps4 with that headline is bad journalism. 

Talk about it with who? Were there accomplices? I don't think an organized attack by a terrorist group in multiple locations at the same time is the same as a school, theater or church shooting by some guy with mental problems. I don't really understand the connection between Xbox and school shootings in the first place.

Around the Network
jlmurph2 said:
OneKartVita said:

Do they have proof the ps4 was used for that?  And do they have proof the school shooters didn't talk about it on live?  

It's fine reporting it as part of what they found but making a standalone article focusing only on the Ps4 with that headline is bad journalism. 

Talk about it with who? Were there accomplices? I don't think an organized attack by a terrorist group in multiple locations at the same time is the same as a school, theater or church shooting by some guy with mental problems. I don't really understand the connection between Xbox and school shootings in the first place.

Well, if one buys into the videogames lead to mass shootings in America, the next logical step would be to tie to the most used console and the console most used to play FPS games in the US. That console would be the XBox (X360 and X1), so it would have less to do with a peripheral and more to do with the offered content. In that case, it's a lot easier to say so-and-so shot up such-and-such and played this on that, as opposed to these terrorists may have used this to communicate about that. The former is a much more easily established and concrete link.

I think, in both cases, it's fairly absurd to overlook the very obvious and very real social problems that lead to each of these forms of terrorism. These sensational types of articles cast the gaming society in a very poor light, but, to quote Nightcrawler, "If it bleeds, it leads."

Insidb said:
jlmurph2 said:

Well, if one buys into the videogames lead to mass shootings in America, the next logical step would be to tie to the most used console and the console most used to play FPS games in the US. That console would be the XBox (X360 and X1), so it would have less to do with a peripheral and more to do with the offered content. In that case, it's a lot easier to say so-and-so shot up such-and-such and played this on that, as opposed to these terrorists may have used this to communicate about that. The former is a much more easily established and concrete link.

I think, in both cases, it's fairly absurd to overlook the very obvious and very real social problems that lead to each of these forms of terrorism. These sensational types of articles cast the gaming society in a very poor light, but, to quote Nightcrawler, "If it bleeds, it leads."

No, the next logical step should be "What games are these people playing". Which is what happens. It happens all the time with GTA, COD and I'm sure it even happened once with Mass Effect 3. It doesn't matter what console they're buying it on if the games aren't exclusive to that platform.

jlmurph2 said:
Insidb said:

No, the next logical step should be "What games are these people playing". Which is what happens. It happens all the time with GTA, COD and I'm sure it even happened once with Mass Effect 3. It doesn't matter what console they're buying it on if the games aren't exclusive to that platform.

If the terrorists used a Samsung phone to communicate I highly doubt this guy would make an article titled "Samsung phone used by terrorists".  

Games console would suffice for this story. The brand doesn't matter especially not in the title.  

Off topic but regarding the shooting.  they're all mentally ill people who are angry at the world for different reasons.  They're equally bad terrorists.  

Next time we'll learn Pachter is an analyst and consultant for ISIS.   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

jlmurph2 said:
Insidb said:

You can use XBL or PSN chat, to accomplish the objectives laid out in the Forbes article, yet the attribution has been to the console owned (not the sevice they both offer). I'm just applying that same logic to problem of mass shootings, so it is the next logical step. If the capabilites are multiplatform, they then default to the platform they are using.