By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Skull Reviews: Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water (Wii U) *No Spoilers*

KilleyMc said:
Good review, sadly NoA killed the game for me when it was announced as an eshop only game, otherwise I could be enjoying it now.

Are you boycotting it on principal, or just don't have the HDD space?

Around the Network

Great review. Finally one I can read without getting big spoilers! You basically convinced me to give the game a try. I'll try to do it somehow... thank you!

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

curl-6 said:
KilleyMc said:
Good review, sadly NoA killed the game for me when it was announced as an eshop only game, otherwise I could be enjoying it now.

Are you boycotting it on principal, or just don't have the HDD space?

While I don't mind paying $ 40 - 50 for an indie like Fast Racing Neo when it finally hits the eshop, I won't pay more than $ 2 for Fatal Frame V now. There are exceptions, but I generally dislike the idea of publishers, especially big ones, deciding to pass the storage cost to me when that isn't a problem in other regions.

KilleyMc said:

While I don't mind paying $ 40 - 50 for an indie like Fast Racing Neo when it finally hits the eshop, I won't pay more than $ 2 for Fatal Frame V now. There are exceptions, but I generally dislike the idea of publishers, especially big ones, deciding to pass the storage cost to me when that isn't a problem in other regions.

I'll say this much; it makes no sense releasing it on disc in Europe/Australia/New Zealand, but not in the larger North American market.

That it came out on disc in PAL regions pretty much torpedoes the argument that they can't afford to put it on disc in NA.

curl-6 said:
KilleyMc said:

I'll say this much; it makes no sense releasing it on disc in Europe/Australia/New Zealand, but not in the larger North American market.

That it came out on disc in PAL regions pretty much torpedoes the argument that they can't afford to put it on disc in NA.

That's my problem, NoA didn't even try with Fatal Frame. I could understand a decision like that if it were based on poor sales of the Wii games in NA, but in this case they just decided that the series was going to sell poorly before giving it a real chance.

Around the Network
KilleyMc said:
curl-6 said:

That's my problem, NoA didn't even try with Fatal Frame. I could understand a decision like that if it were based on poor sales of the Wii games in NA, but in this case they just decided that the series was going to sell poorly before giving it a real chance.

To be fair to them, the series has been given multiple chances and sold poorly every time.  So to say they never gave the series a chance is very misleading statement.

As for digital only, I have mixed feelings.  On the one hand, I think they needed it physical on principle.  If nothing else it pads the shelves with a new exclusive.  On the other hand, I greatly appreciate that they did digital the way I have always said it should be done:  with a substantial free demo.  So that is something I am quite happy about. So yeah, mixed.

Nuvendil said:

I think they needed it physical on principle.  If nothing else it pads the shelves with a new exclusive. 

Yeah, if i were them, I would have released it on disc to give the impression that I "cared about gamers". The positive PR would outweigh the potential for monetary loss in my opinion. 

When you have as few games as Wii U, you should make the most of the ones you have, instead of giving the impression that you have even less software that you actually do.

Nuvendil said:
KilleyMc said:

To be fair to them, the series has been given multiple chances and sold poorly every time.  So to say they never gave the series a chance is very misleading statement.

It's not misleading, from the three main entries available on Nintendo's consoles, NoA didn't bring Fatal Frame II and IV to America, while V was released as a digital-only title, the series wasn't given any chances at all. We only have the spin-off, Spirit Camera, and if I were to trust VGChartz numbers half of the units sold were sold in North America.

I agree with your other point though, and while I still don't like it at least it was a digital release done right. And that's it, I'll stop here, it's a review thread and I don't want to derail it more than I already did.

great review Skull. I've just played the demo after downloading it few weeks back. It was a good horror movie. and after opening that camera obscura, there was a ghost already in front of me. lol.

since i'm new to the game, and my life was very low, i can't find a way to heal myself even though I'm able to pick up several potions along the way. Reading thru the net, there should be a menu that i can select the potions, is that true? or i'm just playing the demo hence there isn't any inventory tab?

gabzjmm23 said:
great review Skull. I've just played the demo after downloading it few weeks back. It was a good horror movie. and after opening that camera obscura, there was a ghost already in front of me. lol.

since i'm new to the game, and my life was very low, i can't find a way to heal myself even though I'm able to pick up several potions along the way. Reading thru the net, there should be a menu that i can select the potions, is that true? or i'm just playing the demo hence there isn't any inventory tab?

Pressing Y brings up your inventory of potions/etc and camera upgrade menu.