By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Nintendo going to make a new Legend of Zelda?

curl-6 said:
spemanig said:

Absolutely none of those games comes remotely close to what is demanded of an open world Zelda game. They aren't comparable at all. Most of those games aren't open world, and the few that are do not have anywhere near the variety and complexity of level design required of a game like Zelda. You don't see games anywhere that have the kinds of demands this game has from a design perspective.

You really think a Zelda game is going to be more demanding in terms of scope and complexity than anything else on the market? Seriously?

Let's be honest, they could have gotten in done by now, and indeed they planned to, (see the original 2015 release date) but Aonuma started chasing butterflies and derailing production, just like he did with Skyward Sword.

In terms of actual level design complexity and variety? Absolutely. If its overworld is structured like any of the other Zelda overworlds, anyway. It will have at least 8 vastly different dungeons that will be completely distinct from each other aesthetically and will be intricate and complex in design, and then they have to create locals in the overworld that make sense as a place to host these dungeons, meaning they all have to be aesthetically distinct from each other and then they have to organically put that variety together in a way that makes sense and is believable. How many massive open world games have grassland, explorable bodies of water, desserts, volcanic areas, snowy areas, swampy areas, woodland areas, etc in the same game, to then host numerous complex dungeons, to then host distinct towns, cities, and villiages? How many? Games aren't made like this. The closest is Xenoblade and likely XCX, because that is in the nature of world design in JRPGs, and there aren't many massively open world JRPGs. Out in the wild, are there?

I always said the delay wasn't a real delay. They never would have made the 2015 deadline, and they were either lying about it or more than likely delusional.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
curl-6 said:

You really think a Zelda game is going to be more demanding in terms of scope and complexity than anything else on the market? Seriously?

Let's be honest, they could have gotten in done by now, and indeed they planned to, (see the original 2015 release date) but Aonuma started chasing butterflies and derailing production, just like he did with Skyward Sword.

In terms of actual level design complexity and variety? Absolutely. If its overworld is structured like any of the other Zelda overworlds, anyway. It will have at least 8 vastly different dungeons that will be completely distinct from each other aesthetically and will be intricate and complex in design, and then they have to create locals in the overworld that make sense as a place to host these dungeons, meaning they all have to be aesthetically distinct from each other and then they have to organically put that variety together in a way that makes sense and is believable. How many massive open world games have grassland, explorable bodies of water, desserts, volcanic areas, snowy areas, swampy areas, woodland areas, etc in the same game, to then host numerous complex dungeons, to then host distinct towns, cities, and villiages? How many? Games aren't made like this. The closest is Xenoblade and likely XCX, because that is in the nature of world design in JRPGs, and there aren't many massively open world JRPGs. Out in the wild, are there?

I always said the delay wasn't a real delay. They never would have made the 2015 deadline, and they were either lying about it or more than likely delusional.

I'd be cautious with expectations that big, you might be setting yourself up for disappointment.

SpokenTruth said:
curl-6 said:

The fact that we're looking at a 5 year gap between Skyward Sword and the next new console Zelda is, frankly, unacceptable.

Nintendo's production pipeline is grossly inefficient if it takes them half a decade to produce a single game. Yes, I know, Twilight Princess to Skyward Sword was 5 years also, but that was no more forgiveable. It's like Aonuma derails the entire production to go chasing after every little idea that wanders into his head.

Naughty Dog can produce three Uncharted games and The Last of Us over a 6 year span. 343i can go from Halo 4 to Halo 5 in 3 years. Santa Monica can go from God of War 3 to Ascension in 3 years. Rockstar can go from GTA4 to Red Dead in 2 years, then to GTA5 in another 3. Guerilla can go from Killzone 2 to Killzone 3 in 2 years, then to Shadowfall in another 2 years.

There is no excuse for the Zelda team to have gone 4 years without turning out a new game.

The entire size of the 5 EAD groups at Nintendo is only a little larger than each of those developers you mentioned.  And the Zelda Ggroup develops the portable Zelda titles too.

Rockstar Games is also 7 seperate development studios.  Similar to how Mario is one EAD group, Zelda is another EAD group
GTA IV by Rockstar North in 2008.
RDR by Rockstar San Diego in 2010.
GTA V by Rockstar North in 2013.

Those Uncharted games and TLoU all used the same engine with a few updates.  New Zelda games typically use a brand new engine every game (Majora's Mask being the exception while the WW engine was masively modified for Twilght Princess).

Nintendo should hire more people if they are shorthanded. 5 years for one game is just silly.

homer said:
CWegzz said:

As of the Nintendo Direct two days ago, Zelda U is confirmed for 2016, so it has a clear release window.

I tried to embed the video, but if it didn't work here is the link below. Go to the very end of it, 3:40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZmxvig1dXE

And that proves what exactly!? Almost every 3D Zelda was delayed, so that delay really wasn't surprise, more likely was expected. But would be very unexpected and huge problem if they delayed it two year in a row their biggest and most unexpected game of this gen, so that will not happen.

What a retarded thread. Should be locked

Moderated - Miguel_Zorro

Around the Network

Is Nintendo going to make a new Legend of Zelda?

"Of Course not! We didn't had ALBW this gen and we will not have Zelda U this gen also! So Nintendo again will never make new Zelda!"

OP is pure trolling or completely ignoring the facts.

Nogamez said:
What a retarded thread. Should be locked

Miyamotoo said:

"Of Course not! We didn't had ALBW this gen and we will not have Zelda U this gen also! So Nintendo again will never make new Zelda!"

Exactly.

Nogamez said:
Miyamotoo said:

"Of Course not! We didn't had ALBW this gen and we will not have Zelda U this gen also! So Nintendo will again never make new Zelda!"

Exactly.

Moderated for spamming with blank posts - Miguel_Zorro

Well, while I agree I would have rather had Zelda U already instead of all these remakes and remasters (not implying scrapping the ports would have sped up Zelda U development, but if I had the choice) and that they have kind of been milking the franchise a little too much, it's silly to ignore there actually are new games between them.

You're just calling ALBW a "remix" because otherwise your argument wouldn't work, but it's still clearly a new entry in the series. As is Triforce Heroes and soon to be, Zelda U. That's production on par with pretty much every other generation. Then there's Hyrule Warriors, which also counts even if it's a spin-off. That it became a multiplat doesn't really matter.

Actually, it's still pretty understandable why they resorted to so many rereleases of Zelda games this gen, because it's one of the only things they can be absolutely sure sells consistent, and sells well, no matter what is released when. No Zelda release this generation has sold badly. I do hope the current situation didn't effect the 'image' of the franchise, seeing the hype Zelda U got from just a two second piece of footage, makes me hopeful.