By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony still most enviromentally friendly of the big three. Nintendo = worst

http://kotaku.com/369545/nintendo-still-hates-the-environment

Tisk, tisk, Nintendo. You've done and pissed off the treehuggers again. Last year, Greenpeace released its sixth "Guide to Greener Electronics," which grades electronics makers on how environmentally sound their manufacturing and recycling processes are. It was the first time game consoles were included. Out of the three console companies, Sony came out on top with a 7.3/10 score. Microsoft posted a laughable 2.7/10. Ha. Ha. Ha. Nintendo was the absolute lowest with a 0/10. A first for the Greenpeace guide. Congrats, Nintendo.

Several months have passed, and the seventh version has been released. Sony still clocks in at 7.3/10, but has more products that are toxic PVC free and has improved its recycling and takeback of electronics. Microsoft has jumped up to 4.7/10 and has an improved timeline for toxic chemicals elimination. The company's takeback policy is still lacking, though. And Nintendo? The company now scores 0.3/10. Says Greenpeace, "Tiny improvement but still way behind." Hey Greenpeace, Nintendo doesn't have time for all this environmental crap! Too busy making buckets of money.
March 2008 Version [Greenpeace Thanks Bert!]

What do you guys think?  I think this is pretty ironic considering how evil people paint Sony to be and how innocent they depict Nintendo as.  Just goes to show you that no company is perfect. 

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

Global warming is a scam.

Nintendo just became more badass in my eyes.

disolitude said:
Nintendo just became more badass in my eyes.

Exactly.

Also how they rank you isn't exactly the greatest, like one of things that helps sony is you can apperently give them your console to dispose of properly. I want to find the person who has done this.

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor scientist. Especially if you think the moon landing was faked.

ioi + 1

Yeah well read this:

http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=11616 

"Greenpeace stick with their "Guilty until proven innocent" policy on scoring companies...

reenpeace have given companies ratings once again. Sony get a score of 7.3, Microsoft get 4.7 whereas Nintendo get a score increase of 0.3...giving them a full score of 0.3.

Nintendo aren't doing anything wrong. It's just Greenpeace's way of doing things - if a company doesn't respond to Greenpeace they simply get a low score. They seem to do little research of their own. The main "problems" seem to be a lack of public policy on toxic elimination and recycling.

A quick browse of Nintendo.com gives us two important things. First is a public policy on what Nintendo are doing to reduce toxic products. Note thaMicrosoft's improved score was partly due to phasing out the use of PVC.

"As is stated in the manuals of the Wii console and DS Lite, neither product contains latex, lead, mercury, cadmium, hexavalent chromium, polybrominated biphenyl (PBB), or polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDE). Additionally, we have been phasing out the use of PVC in our packaging, using a safer, recyclable plastic instead."

And what do Nintendo have to say about recycling their products? Well, lets see:

"Because old Nintendo products are still in high demand on the used market, we rarely receive requests for the recycling of older Nintendo products; however, for customers who are interested in recycling their products, we offer referrals to local recycling options, as well as a take-back program if local options are not available."

So, it seems that Nintendo are getting punished because they tell people to sell/pass on their products as opposed to recycling them. Which is odd considering that passing the product on to someone else is more environmentally friendly than recycling it. Even if people persist on recycling their products Nintendo will give us information on how to recycle them and they even offer to do it themselves.

Greenpeace don't seem to want to reconsider the way they mark companies. Nintendo don't have many products that become obsolete or unwanted when they become "outdated" by newer technology, so why do they need to waste money on a big recycling policy?"

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network

I would of thought nintendo as being more environmentally friendly since the Wii's and Ds' use less power than the ps3s and psps. Now the xbox 360 would be the most environmentally dangering with it's huge power consumption.

Glad that Nintendo isn't cow-towing to the environmental wacko-extremists. +1000 to Nintendo.

Ironically, the DS uses less power then the PSP, and the wii, not even half of the 360's or PS3's power.(Not to mention a PC!) As far as I'm concerned, that list if fauly! Did they even do any testing?

Guitar Hero 3/ Smash Hits
sc94597 said:
I would of thought nintendo as being more environmentally friendly since the Wii's and Ds' use less power than the ps3s and psps. Now the xbox 360 would be the most environmentally dangering with it's huge power consumption.

Except that the evaluation methods here are incredibly flawed so take it with a grain of salt.

what??? i think it is BS. My ratings:
N: 10/10
Sony 5/10
MS 5/10