By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread: The Greatest Games Event 2015 (Your #1 Favorite Game)

#46: Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

Strategy

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance is an important game for me because it was my first foray into the world of Fire Emblem. I had no interest in Blazing Sword or Sacred Stones when they came out, and in fact I actually didn't own Path of Radiance either. It was my younger brother who one day decided to get the game, and as I watched him play I got more and more curious about this intriguing strategy game. So when I finally got my hands on it I was blown away by the depth of it all. The characters, the intricate plot, the gameplay... it all just clicked for me right away. And from that point on, I considered myself a Fire Emblem fan. So thanks Path of Radiance for introducing me to your wonderful world. Now hurry up and get Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright and Conquest here!

Around the Network

#45: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon

Action Adventure

In an odd twist of fate, the start of my love affair for Igavanias was an Igavania that wasn't an Igavania. Castlevania: Circle of the Moon actually wasn't directed by Koji Igarashi, despite his influence saturating the game from head to toe. But at the time when I was first playing, all I knew was that this game was amazing, and that I could barely see it on my original GameBoy Advance. A gothic horror world filled with a plethora of classic monsters and fiends, in where you travered a labyrinth of corridors. The tight action, challenging difficulty, intense boss battles, and secrets galore made the game impossible to put down. From from here on out, I considered myself a huge Castlevania fan. And I can say that I own every Igavania title. And it all started with this game.

#44: Diddy Kong Racing

Racing

Diddy Kong Racing holds a special place in my heart for a variety of reasons. It was the game I got with my Nintendo 64 for my birthday. I still remember that morning when I raced to plug in the console and play for about 15 minutes before I had to go to school. It was a magical moment. In fact, Diddy Kong Racing was my first ever Nintendo game, as I was the proud owner of a Sega Genesis before I switched over to Nintendo. So the game was a lot of firsts for me, but it makes this list not just because of those sentimental values. The game was also a blast to play, giving a kart style racing game an adventure sort of feel, even pitting you against bosses (which were totally cheap) and having secrets to uncover. Plus, the multiplayer was a blast to play. The whole package was just a blast to play, and even now the memories are flooding back. Good times.

Hint for #43:

In this charming game full of friendship and smiles, visiting the dreams of others could result in very (very) disturbing situations.

43 Hint: Game set in Hong Kong.

Around the Network
Smeags said:
Hint for #43:

In this charming game full of friendship and smiles, visiting the dreams of others could result in very (very) disturbing situations.

Psychonauts?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Farsala said:

Sleeping Dogs

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
Farsala said:

Sleeping Dogs

Correct.

BraLoD said:

43. At one point you are a dot on this game

Animaniacs.

One of the few games in the 'Star Trek' franchise that was actually good, 'Elite Force' is a shooter based around a special away-team that is sent on various missions too dangerous for regular away teams. The story explains this as an necessity for the starship Voyager while it's missing in the barbaric Delta Quadrant.

Familiar 'Voyager' enemies like the Hirogen, the Borg and Species 8472 are present, like the familiar crew from the television series, mostly even voiced by their real actors. In fact, a lot of the away-team's crew, aptly named "Hazard Team", is often seen as extra's in the real show as well, working all around the ship in the background. Immersion is excellent here. The second game continued this line of using real series' cast, when the team is transferred to Picard's Enterprise after Voyager makes it's way back to Earth like in the finale of the show.

It's a very good story for a video game, right in line with the show and it fits perfectly into the canon, referencing or tying into events in real episodes. The second game added more classic villains like Romulans and Klingons to the mix, and also had a great story. Both games were built on the Quake III Arena engine, the common video-game engine for shooters at the time, and this makes for fast, streamlined gameplay that isn't really seen anymore today.